• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Storage - Reduce Tarnishing & Milk Spots

Minted

Hi,

Not sure if I'm getting carried away with this, but I'm wondering how much effect home storage has on tarnishing & milk spots and how I can reduce the risk as much as possible?

Just finished a box of laundry pods and realised the plastic box they come in would be useful until I can get something more permanent.  But is there any chance the residual detergent in the box could affect the silver?  Thought about washing it out, but again, I'm concerned about any residue left from other soap etc.

I've also got a spare metal tin that I was gifted some posh biscuits in last year.  Is there any chance of silver reaction from that?

All coins & bars are in some sort of individual protection - capsules of varying quality, sticky sheaths or self-seal bags.  Hope to get them all in decent protection in future but won't be for a while so any advice on keeping them nice in the meantime is welcome.

Thanks

You can store the coins in capsules (look up leuchtturm or air-tites) to protect them.  There are various storage options for the capsules - take a look for air-tite or coinsafe tubes on Ebay for a start.  3l Really Useful Boxes are the right size to store 12 46mm coin tubes - coinsafe tubes for 1oz silver, most tubes mints supply 1oz silver coins in or air-tite 'H' tubes are the right size for this.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

From what I'm led to believe milk spotting will occur regardless of how coins are stored as it's due to chemical residues left on the coin during the minting process it's just a matter of time for how long it takes to show.

Tarnish on the other hand is a reaction with gasses or chemicals  in the environment the silver is stored in so storing it in an air tight container will prevent it.

Thanks both.  The coins are all in some sort of individual capsule or bag already, though the quality on several of the capsules is questionable, not convinced they'll be totally airtight so that's where the concern is currently.

Good to know I'm unlikely to cause milk spots though!

• 2 weeks later...

**Feb 4th Update**

To save starting another thread, I've got a couple more storage questions if anyone can help? 🙂

Firstly, I've got a few RM collectable boxed coins, with the gloss covered cardboard boxes.  I've noticed these scratch & scuff easily (seen on many ebay listings!) and was wondering how best to prevent that in storage?  I considered wrapping them in kitchen paper but a single piece isn't large enough and it doesn't hold it's shape either.  Next thought was tissue paper - but I've seen mention of acid in it damaging items over time and the colour coming off it as well.  So that doesn't seem like a great idea unless I can be sure of buying some which is acid free and without colour.  I'm not sure if even white tissue paper is dyed white or just bleached?  Any other wrapping ideas?

Second question - I've finally found an affordable 10oz silver No Time To Die bar and very pleased with it!  Previous owner has put it in a capsule though and trapped a few bits of dust and dirt in there.  What's the best way of 'cleaning' it without risking any damage or putting more dust and dirt in there?

Thanks

21 hours ago, Minted said:

**Feb 4th Update**

To save starting another thread, I've got a couple more storage questions if anyone can help? 🙂

Firstly, I've got a few RM collectable boxed coins, with the gloss covered cardboard boxes.  I've noticed these scratch & scuff easily (seen on many ebay listings!) and was wondering how best to prevent that in storage?  I considered wrapping them in kitchen paper but a single piece isn't large enough and it doesn't hold it's shape either.  Next thought was tissue paper - but I've seen mention of acid in it damaging items over time and the colour coming off it as well.  So that doesn't seem like a great idea unless I can be sure of buying some which is acid free and without colour.  I'm not sure if even white tissue paper is dyed white or just bleached?  Any other wrapping ideas?

Second question - I've finally found an affordable 10oz silver No Time To Die bar and very pleased with it!  Previous owner has put it in a capsule though and trapped a few bits of dust and dirt in there.  What's the best way of 'cleaning' it without risking any damage or putting more dust and dirt in there?

Thanks

Hi.

It is not a perfect solution to protect these RM high premium boxes. All of us we are trying the best.I

Personally, I have wrapped them carefully in white absorbent paper, something of this type:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newspaper-Offcuts-Packing-Chipshop-Sheets/dp/B07VWLYDLG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=O0AYZVNJD7QU&keywords=wrapping%2Bpaper%2Bwhite&qid=1675584824&sprefix=wrapping%2Bpaper%2Bwhite%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1,

Plus a good quality cling film all over.

So far, so good.

About the tiny dust granules, you can use something like this, cheap and effective:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Dust-Blower-DSLR-Nikon-Canon-Camera-Video-VCR-Lens-Sensor-Cleaning-Cleaner/274945132510?hash=item400401c7de:g:XoAAAOSwj2phNM4Z&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4GUyDiGseotRxXdsybvlDehLu+ke4lRzNEfcBNKJoeaeoZTbopCe3/KVMUDE6b2UvM+aM2RWKjN3WUdeEAdT4PM2Tq7GFPj+CthrT+Lt+T/cEA6TwE+3uKRmyB0OXYyE3xLoinw9hYKVCZcluE1xSjpcFtzZ4f/IeN3drmNTGaxt6IiRfhjovI6ju0zhK0k7KvNUaxaDwLc0zs9W6fVFMlBam5JGmOa4oqqTjVxcUsdDy27xlVr2pMCG+LLgTT20VSScGhafpm48KTXM+cFZWlRRaZWbD+N+zhX+g4YrN+da|tkp:BFBMrva3iMRh&pageci=925c2aa0-0fa4-4bb5-9a6a-c393cafd3a8c&redirect=mobile.

Cheers!🤗