• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Yet Another Obvious Fake Sovereign by The Auction Mill of Omaha on LiveAuctioneers 1911-C

LawrenceChard

Yet Another Obvious Fake Sovereign by The Auction Mill of Omaha on LiveAuctioneers 1911-C

Following a few recent reports of counterfeit os suspect gold sovereigns on a number of online auction sites, I signed up to LiveAuctioneers on the hope I could e-mail to alert them about this one:

On that occasion, I said "I intended to send them (LiveAuctioneers) an e-mail similar to the one I sent to Invaluable, but I could not find an e-mail address for them on their website. It appears that they do not wish to know or receive communications!

However, I have received a promotional e-mail from them every day since.

One I just received had this as top of its list:

1911 King George V Gold Sovereign
Estimate
$2,000 - $5,000

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/144008850_1911-king-george-v-gold-sovereign

Here is a screenshot:

865764106_1911KingGeorgeVGoldSovereignbyTheAuctionMillonLiveAuctioneers.thumb.jpg.dace228c72e1bdab61432d17471fa05a.jpg

The seller "The Auction House" does not even mention it is an Ottawa Canada mint.

The estimate is ludicrous at $2000 - $5000

Even from the screenshot, I think most TSF members will be able to tell the coin is fake, but just in case, here are both photos:

1543604533_1911CSov144008850_1_x.thumb.jpg.417bcf74741ea353d819af1ca45eb67f.jpg

Obverse above, and:

2025258631_1911CSov144008850_2_x.thumb.jpg.f12f56d034e3683fda5a168b669a87d9.jpg

Reverse

I thought I would use the "Ask a Question" button, which remended me that I tried last time, and could not get past this screen:

799052053_WelcometoLiveAuctioneers.thumb.jpg.6eccab6e35a1ec34ed41424047dfb1f2.jpg

I have altered my phone number, but even with a valid number, I could not proceed.

Whether it's because this a dumb American website which does not recognise alien (non-US) numbers, addresses, postcodes, I don't know, and don't really care.

If anyone else cares to try, you are welcome, let us know how you get on.

😎

Chards

14 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

The Auction Mill in Omaha Nebraska appears to be the seller. Found their website and contact details 👍🏼

https://www.theauctionmill.com/contact

I had to smile at:

The Auction Mill is one of the Midwest's largest liquidators of restaurant, food service, hotel, laundromat and business liquidations.

We are also a licensed federal firearms dealer who specializes in online firearms auctions.

In addition to business liquidations and firearms, we are expert marketers of gold, silver, coins, currency, rare antiques and sports memorabilia.

The Auction Mill is located in Omaha, NE and is in the process of opening an office in Orange County California.

1528 N. Saddle Creek Road
Omaha, NE 68104
USA

Liquidators? firearms dealer?

Might be safer not to complain!

😎

Chards

Certainly.

I thought it might be be useful to give Tom a little help with geography.

=====================

Hi Tom

I have seen the listing for the 1911 Ottawa (As in Canada, which is missing from the auction listing).

The Sovereign listed is clearly counterfeit.

Please do get expert advice if you are not a numismatist and don’t trust my opinion.

I will post an analysis of why this is counterfeit on FB, Insta and Twitter if you don’t remove the listing or, clearly mark this as counterfeit on the ad.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

And the response:

Best Dicker

==========================================================

Hi Dicker,

Thanks for the email and if you don't mind pumping the breaks before calling all the online authorities. We don't want to mislead anyone. Please give us a moment to take a look at the lot and if need be, we will remove the item. We appreciate the email. Tom

Tom Millie CAI, GPPA
The Auction Mill
1528 N Saddle Creek Rd
Omaha, NE 68104
Text/Mobile: 402.690.8666
Office: 402.885.4916

Not my circus, not my monkeys