• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

24 Carat Gold Dust

markc939

Hi,

In the early 1900's my great great Grandfather was a sign writer and he used to use 24 Carot Gold leaf to write with, this envetably lead to some waste which he collected and traded in when he bought more leaf.

Somehow a pot of about 2 ounces of this gold 'dust' has been handed down to me, and I wondered what would be the best way to a) find out if it is indeed pure gold, it's certainly looks the part, has not tarnished at

all in 100 years in a tub, and I've no reason to suspect it is not, b) find out what it is worth  and c) where to sell it ?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Mark.

I see from google

Gold leaf is the basis of the gold ink used in Islamic calligraphy and Islamic manuscript illumination. The leaves are crushed in honey or gum arabic, then suspended in gelatinous water. Because the gold is not pulverized as in industrially produced metal inks, the resulting surface looks very much like solid gold.”

There must be a forum out there for that and hence a market?

I do believe some gold leaf I made by hammering pure gold so thin, as to make it gold leaf.

Wondering if you could do a standard acid test as you would for gold jewelry to establish if its pure gold. I suppose them the question is, is it worth its weight in gold?, more than / less than? I'm not sure but certainly interesting.

A large scrap yard should have a Niton Gun or some sort of XRF Analyzer. They should be able to tell you the exact make up of the metal. They may charge a small fee or if you catch them on a good day. Failing that Ring round the large dealers. I'm sure @LawrenceChard would have some thoughts on the matter.

18 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

A large scrap yard should have a Niton Gun or some sort of XRF Analyzer. They should be able to tell you the exact make up of the metal. They may charge a small fee or if you catch them on a good day. Failing that Ring round the large dealers. I'm sure @LawrenceChard would have some thoughts on the matter.

I not sure a xrf will tell you anything by pointing it at dust. Think the item needs to be more solid. 

I'd go with both @dicker and @Tn21's advice and contact bairdmint.com 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, markc939 said:

Thanks everyone for the responses, Ill try Baird I think.   I guess I could have something or nothing, guess I'll find out!

Thanks again,

I'll report back when I know.

Mark.

Thanks - it’s always good to know what happens!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

I not sure a xrf will tell you anything by pointing it at dust. Think the item needs to be more solid. 

Your probably right. As @dicker and @Tn21 had mentioned Baird's, I just thought I'd add some other options that might be local. Wasn't sure if it would pick up the 2oz in a plastic tub. Baird's I think are the largest refiners in the UK. 

A friend of the family does gold leaf on statues in London. The kids get £50 notes for Christmas and birthdays so I would say it was possible to do. Not sure how to ask him tho don't know him that well.

It looks like you are in Birmingham, so trundle into jewelry quarters and you will get your answers. 

This company has some of best buying prices in your area. Best of luck
Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

15 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

14 hours ago, James32 said:

I would hesitate to test gold dust on our Niton, mainly because it could get messy, but it is something I ought to try in the interest of knowledge and experience.

Although we would buy it, the OP might as well try Baird.

I would be very cautious about testing "dust", as I have been watching His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...