Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

Postage and Premiums


Lucylucy

Recommended Posts

I felt that the following may be of interest!

I bought an item from a well known Auction house and this was the result.

Bid and purchase £18.00

Premium                £7.20

Internet charge     £1.26

Postage                 £24.99

Total cost               £51.45

Total Charges £33.45 for an £18 item.

I won't be doing that again!

Lucylucy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Velvet lined bubble wrap isn't cheap.

That's shocking, I think royal mail will do up to 10kg for £18.45 

 

That price is with £2500 insurance too!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most auction houses are more than reasonable with postage. If you check online before bidding they list postage yes/no, charges etc. some charge for time packing, however your costs appear a bit high. What did you buy? Which auction house?🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they are a bit of a minefield.  I have been thinking of poking about on the auction portal sites like easyauctions but shipping looks like it could be a killer unless you win multiple lots.  On one hand there are loads of lots with sovereigns, but when you include the fees they tend to come out fairly pricey most of the time.  You'd have to have a confluence of making the winning bids on a lot items at a good price to do well out of it.  It's not impossible but it does seem like a bit of a c**p shoot.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Postage is always unknown, especially for long distance delivery, like hong kong.  You may try asking auction house see if any alternative option if it is not specify in their auction terms, sometimes they will have but most not.  By the way, the auction premium is 40%, which is ridiculously steep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alas, the postage is very often a deal breaker for many otherwise good purchases at auctions if you have to compete with room bidders or locals who can go and pick up their lots or pay just local postage.

In your situation it may be worth asking the auction house if they could maybe use some cheaper shipping method. Maybe they use e.g. FedEx as a rule and hence the higher cost but may agree that they use regular post as an exception. Worked for me a few times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/12/2022 at 12:48, Lucylucy said:

I felt that the following may be of interest!

I bought an item from a well known Auction house and this was the result.

Bid and purchase £18.00

Premium                £7.20

Internet charge     £1.26

Postage                 £24.99

Total cost               £51.45

Total Charges £33.45 for an £18 item.

I won't be doing that again!

Lucylucy

criminal charges, I run my own business selling firearm related items. I offer free delivery on orders over £100. I Send everything Special delivery or tracked if item under £100. 

This is why business will fail in the next 2 years for being criminal with charges like this. People are hiking prices just for sake of it now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a look at an auction site the other day, on the face of it the Sovs seemed to be pricing ok but the add-ons on this site were about 30% and all passed on to buyer.  Wondering if it might be worth making friends with local auction houses and just ask them to give us a shout if any sovs or such come up and visit f2f

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before any bidding online I always check out their postage options. A lot of places don’t even post small items now and you have to go through separate local courier companies, hence a substantial increase in costs. Where I have bought, the companies will post small items and charge very little. Any high costs, just don’t bid, there are literally 1000s of coins etc. every week for sale and the one you want will turn up somewhere cheaper! Unfortunately the high fees for most auction houses are now a fact and you just have to allow that in your bidding.🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Before any bidding online I always check out their postage options. A lot of places don’t even post small items now and you have to go through separate local courier companies, hence a substantial increase in costs. Where I have bought, the companies will post small items and charge very little. Any high costs, just don’t bid, there are literally 1000s of coins etc. every week for sale and the one you want will turn up somewhere cheaper! Unfortunately the high fees for most auction houses are now a fact and you just have to allow that in your bidding.🤔

I recently had an experience that asking a logistics company to pickup a maundy set from auction house, as they didn't provide postage service from uk to hong kong.  I already take into account the additional cost before bidding.  Maybe due to cost problem, the logistics company using bpost instead of royal mail, which is proven a disaster right now.  The item is totally disappeared since last tracking update on 1 Sep.  I have sourced that maundy set for years, so it's totally frustrated n very upset.  For next time, i will also check with logistics company using which postage company before bidding.  By the way, anyone using bpost n lost before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

I recently had an experience that asking a logistics company to pickup a maundy set from auction house, as they didn't provide postage service from uk to hong kong.  I already take into account the additional cost before bidding.  Maybe due to cost problem, the logistics company using bpost instead of royal mail, which is proven a disaster right now.  The item is totally disappeared since last tracking update on 1 Sep.  I have sourced that maundy set for years, so it's totally frustrated n very upset.  For next time, i will also check with logistics company using which postage company before bidding.  By the way, anyone using bpost n lost before?

Never heard of them🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use