• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

250 Shillings Republic of Somalia, silver or not?

Earthmetal

This coin seems silver to me, in that a molybdenum magnet slides down slowly like a silver coin.
It also 'ping tests' like a silver coin, long high-pitched lingering tone, nothing like a cupro-nickel crown sounds.
But, I can find no mention online of a silver variant.
Over to you experts, what have I got?

DSCN0597.JPG

DSCN0598.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

For your peace of mind, you can do a gravity test. 

The density of sterling silver balanced with copper can be calculated easily:

D = (0.925×10.49g/cm³) + (0.075×8.96g/cm³), where 10.49 is density of pure silver and 8.96 is density of copper.

D = 10.375 g/cm3

40 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

This coin seems silver to me, in that a molybdenum magnet slides down slowly like a silver coin.
It also 'ping tests' like a silver coin, long high-pitched lingering tone, nothing like a cupro-nickel crown sounds.
But, I can find no mention online of a silver variant.
Over to you experts, what have I got?

DSCN0597.JPG

DSCN0598.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Looks good to me, probably sterling considering the odd weight though 🤔 

29 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Ahhhh I should have known, if it can't be found... @stefffana will find it 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, TheShinyStuff said:

Likely .925. There are a few of these, there's a Nelson Mandela and a Queen Victoria I've seen before, which were both .925.

Also, Japanese Emperor Hirohito and Chinese President Mao Tse Tung.

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

D = (0.925×10.49g/cm³) + (0.075×8.96g/cm³), where 10.49 is density of pure silver and 8.96 is density of copper.

D = 10.375 g/cm3

I've looked at this, but am totally baffled. For me, the volume of water displaced will equal the volume of the coin, irrespective of the mass.
I just can't understand why the weight matters.
If I submerge a cubic centimeter of lead and a hollow plastic cubic centimeter, surely both will displace a cubic centimeter of liquid?

5 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

I've looked at this, but am totally baffled. For me, the volume of water displaced will equal the volume of the coin, irrespective of the mass.
If I submerge a cubic centimeter of lead and a hollow plastic cubic centimeter, surely both will displace a cubic centimeter of liquid?

Pretty sure the hollow plastic will float?

1 minute ago, Earthmetal said:

Yes, but you need to weight the coin before and in the time of submerging (the glass of water is placed on the scale and the coin is hanged on a thin cotton).

You will divide the weight of the coin to the weight in water.

The result should be very close to  10.37. Will not be exactly, because your instruments are not very accurate.

See for example BYB's video on YouTube:

3 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Not if its a iconic release series, but maybe in the enormous prat series....

Self-serving, lying hypocrite series?

6 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Yes, but you need to weight the coin before and in the time of submerging (the glass of water is placed on the scale and the coin is hanged on a thin cotton).

You will divide the weight of the coin to the weight in water.

The result should be very close to  10.37. Will not be exactly, because your instruments are not very accurate.

See for example BYB's video on YouTube:

Thanks, I'll watch that.

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

Pretty sure the hollow plastic will float?

It would obviously, hence specifying "If I submerge". All hypothetical me old mate.

6 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

It would obviously, hence specifying "If I submerge". All hypothetical me old mate.

Yeah but the idea of a gravity test is the weight of the subject does the work ( with the help of gravity 😀)

Honestly the coins looks great, if it sounds like silver and looks like silver and behaves like silver with the magnet test,then I'd guess it is silver ( sterling)

If you want it tested for free before you wreck half the kitchen, give me a buzz.

2 hours ago, stefffana said:

D = 10.375 g/cm3

Had no idea what the gravity test was, assumed it was a measurement of how hard it bonked you on the head after dropping it from a height, similar to the apple of Newton 

18 hours ago, James32 said:

Yeah but the idea of a gravity test is the weight of the subject does the work ( with the help of gravity 😀)

Honestly the coins looks great, if it sounds like silver and looks like silver and behaves like silver with the magnet test,then I'd guess it is silver ( sterling)

If you want it tested for free before you wreck half the kitchen, give me a buzz.

Appreciate that, thank you. I won't bother though as the coin was identified in the first reply! :)