Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

Newbie ridicule needed


Fenlander1

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, James32 said:

1lb silver eagle does exist, but whether the one in question is "legit" is in doubt.

@Dakaras you had one recently I believe, can you offer any insight?

 

I agree there is definatly doubt  when I have received it ( Bloody postal strike ) It will be tested and hopefully the xrf should shed some light on it but as we know they are not infalable.

I will post the results so we can all reference and judge accordingly. But I suspect that there are some that will not believe the results either way.

I don't think the seller is fraudulent they have good feedback sells alot of what I can only assume are genuine coins due to the feedback. Described it as far as I know correctly priced at near the right money and was forthcoming when asked questions i couldn't really ask for more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

I agree there is definatly doubt  when I have received it ( Bloody postal strike ) It will be tested and hopefully the xrf should shed some light on it but as we know they are not infalable.

I will post the results so we can all reference and judge accordingly. But I suspect that there are some that will not believe the results either way.

I don't think the seller is fraudulent they have good feedback sells alot of what I can only assume are genuine coins due to the feedback. Described it as far as I know correctly priced at near the right money and was forthcoming when asked questions i couldn't really ask for more.

In this instance, you can't really loose tbh. Extremely important you get it tested though. If real,then a bargain. If fake then money back and you have gained some knowledge.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, James32 said:

In this instance, you can't really loose tbh. Extremely important you get it tested though. If real,then a bargain. If fake then money back and you have gained some knowledge.

 

That is exactly the way I am looking at. If its real 10% above spot it makes a nice addition to my collection at a good price.

Worst case scenario it's fake and the seller will not take it back in which case I could have hassle and be out 250. Not good but we live and learn.

It's been really good having this discussion seeing how others view things

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James32 said:

1lb silver eagle does exist, but whether the one in question is "legit" is in doubt.

@Dakaras you had one recently I believe, can you offer any insight?

 

Mine was a 1/2lb but I don't like the look of that one, quality looks to be off imo...https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/63680-12-lb-american-silver-eagle-2000/#comment-699145

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dakaras said:

Mine was a 1/2lb but I don't like the look of that one, quality looks to be off imo...https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/63680-12-lb-american-silver-eagle-2000/#comment-699145

 

Yeah I'm second guessing myself now 😂 mine may have been a half pound too. Was too long ago to remember specifically.

@Fenlander1 just get it tested asap and you will be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

From the reading I did before bidding on this round several private mints in the US made a version of the eagle. Some were 1 troy lb some were an avoirdupois 1lb depending on the mint. 

I have no idea whether this round is genuine 999 silver and hopefully the tests can prove either way but as i understand it that can still be disputed as machines can be fooled and is not a guarantee unless I have it professionally assayed and stamped.

As a new person to the silver market it is all about learning for me reading and contributing to forums like this 1

 

From my limited reading, I have only managed to find coins produced by the Washington Mint. And they were in Half Pound (8 Toz) and One Pound (16 Toz).

 

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.334ab1e3e3d59cc68669175fe6656815.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.280c802e5813b71bf9e822567220c591.jpg

s-l1600X1.thumb.jpg.613a04c1ae5f33cd226afc3dc0ab6982.jpg

 

I have also find a thread on Cointalk (https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1lb-16oz-silver-ases.75242/). One contributor seem to suggest that the old coins were made in 1 LB (16Toz) but changed to Troy LB (12 Toz) at a later date.

With this information, your coin could well be legit. 

That blind man who told me it was clearly a fake could well be very wrong !!  😎😂

 

 

Screenshot_20221203_234150_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.c23523e16e2153ca94870dc8411fad39.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Worst case scenario it's fake and the seller will not take it back in which case I could have hassle and be out 250.

I assume you're covered under the 30 day guarantee, seller implied by his knowledge it looks good for silver, so whilst vague...that doesn't give him a get out of jail card. Otherwise he should have blatantly stated "plated" or "replica "

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

 

From my limited reading, I have only managed to find coins produced by the Washington Mint. And they were in Half Pound (8 Toz) and One Pound (16 Toz).

 

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.334ab1e3e3d59cc68669175fe6656815.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.280c802e5813b71bf9e822567220c591.jpg

s-l1600X1.thumb.jpg.613a04c1ae5f33cd226afc3dc0ab6982.jpg

 

I have also find a thread on Cointalk (https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1lb-16oz-silver-ases.75242/). One contributor seem to suggest that the old coins were made in 1 LB (16Toz) but changed to Troy LB (12 Toz) at a later date.

With this information, your coin could well be legit. 

That blind man who told me it was clearly a fake could well be very wrong !!  😎😂

 

 

Screenshot_20221203_234150_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.c23523e16e2153ca94870dc8411fad39.png

 

Found this 1 when was researching looks the same

1 lb troy FINE .999 SILVER BULLION round EAGLE COPY - £399.00

1 lb troy FINE .999 SILVER BULLION round EAGLE COPY

ONE POUND TROY FINE .999 SILVER BULLION ROUND copy of AMERICAN EAGLE COIN. MASSIVE 1 lb copy OF AMERICAN EAGLE COIN (both sides); FINE SILVER .999 pure BULLION. Supplied in large presention box.\n
Marked 1 POUND TROY .999 FINE SILVER.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At a lower premium per ounce than the regular one ounce silver rounds, these Assorted Silver Bullion 1 Troy Pound Rounds are the perfect addition to any investment! One troy pound is equivalent to 12 troy ounces, not the usual 16 we are all used to being in a pound. The silver round's popularity has taken off, in recent years, due to the producing of famous designs such as the Buffalo or Walking Liberty. These rounds are made all over the country, at reputable private mints, and are incredibly easy to stack and store. Note that the design may vary from the picture, depending on our inventory. We cannot guarantee a specific design, since our inventory is constantly updating. Each round is stamped with .999 pure silver for validation and are packaged in plastic capsules for protection. These capsules may break, during shipping, but will not affect the value of the round. Many of these 1 lb rounds will be gold plated but pure silver.

Silver Round Highlights
-.999 fine silver
-12oz
-Condition may vary
-No design is guaranteed

 

Testing is the only way 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

It could be a door stop. Or the biggest coin ring ever.

Bullion doorstops have been discussed before... that Mr Chard suggesting a 5kg bar IIRC. I have a 1kg Umicore bar to prop the lounge door. Enough weight and more easily moved when Mr Vacuum wants to go walkies. Don't think your coin will cut the mustard... unless we're talking doors on a Barbie dolls house? 😉

Edited by MonkeysUncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use