• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie ridicule needed

Fenlander1

Looks like this the link, for anyone interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-1-LB-999-Fine-Silver-Liberty-Coin-Read-Description-/115612306535

(If you got 12ozt of silver in a recognisable bullion form for £240 + p&p that seems alright to me, but I'll let others comment on the authenticity and premium of this item...)

Edited by Anteater

Well you have paid just under £16 per ounce, so what do you think? They were only issued as proof. You probably don’t need a machine, your magnet will probably be good enough🫢🙁Oh, and it is 16oz,  and it should measure 88mm X 8mm🤔

Edited by Petra
Addition

15 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello and thank you for your comment. I was under the impression that it is 1lb troy oz so 12 troy oz 370 grams. It was a risk but I fell for it.

You are correct, there is a difference between Troy and ordinary ounce’s, however, this one should weigh 16oz. You need to check out the ‘numista’ website. i.e type in 1997 Britannia numista and it will take you to the numista site that will give you information on the coin. (Someone on here will probably tell you different, but it works for me)

Works out around £20.80 an ounce. 

Can't tell from picture unfortunately, but these coins definitely exist as I had one years ago and one sold on here a while back.

I'm only guessing but you should be able to tell by diameter and thickness along with weight alone.

Here's the specs from Numista 

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia238815.html

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

The coin does not look genuine. Superficially it looks fine but it is a poor strike quality compared with the genuine coin on the right. 
Take for example the robe.

Here is a section of the robe in what i will call the fake.

image.thumb.png.8dc15e256f6ad2ddbdaf5a27e6b1cbad.png

Now compare it will the genuine coin on https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia238815.html

image.thumb.png.f21ce8d007c568782bcb83e98beacbf0.png

They are very different in quality - all over the face of the coins on comparison there are quality issues with the 'coin' off ebay. It is a fake.

Why would the seller say 'I cannot be 100% sure of authenticity but am pretty confident.'? Assuming this is a genuine seller, clearly there was doubt somewhere in his mind.

Sorry but this is tat - do your basic tests and then return to sender. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

8 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello and thank you for your comment. I was under the impression that it is 1lb troy oz so 12 troy oz 370 grams. It was a risk but I fell for it.

I could not get the maths to add up ! 

One LB (Pound) = 16 ounces

One ounce = 28.35g 

One Troy ounce = 31.103g

So, 

1 LB = 16 ounces = 453.6 grams = 14.58 Troy ounce

Where does 12 troy oz and 370g come from ? 

This is unless the coin is under weight and therefore a fake !

I think you fell for it !

Edited by Happypanda88

Just now, Fenlander1 said:

I had an idea this might divide opinion but I like healthy debate.

When it arrives all the relevant checks will be done and hopefully we will all know whether it is my 1st newbie mistake. 

10 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

When it arrives all the relevant checks will be done and hopefully we will all know whether it is my 1st newbie mistake. 

I'm fairly sure this is a newbie mistake. 

Well, most of us have been there starting out. It might be comforting to know you are not the only one ! 😁

Edited by Happypanda88

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

I could not get the maths to add up ! 

One LB (Pound) = 16 ounces

One ounce = 28.35g 

One Troy ounce = 31.103g

So, 

1 LB = 16 ounces = 453.6 grams = 14.58 Troy ounce

Where does 12 troy oz and 370g come from ? 

This is unless the coin is under weight and therefore a fake !

I think you fell for it !

I am hoping for a weight of around 373.2 grams = to 1 Troy lb

But every day is a school day

35 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Yes, but 1 *troy* lb = 12 troy oz. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_weight#Troy_pound_(lb_t)

Which isn't to say the coin is (or is not) genuine.

The subject is about this coin.

According to Numista, the coin should weight one pound or 16 oz (international avoirdupois ounce) or 453.6 grams.

A blind man tells me that it is clearly a fake. 😎

Edited by Happypanda88

From the reading I did before bidding on this round several private mints in the US made a version of the eagle. Some were 1 troy lb some were an avoirdupois 1lb depending on the mint. 

I have no idea whether this round is genuine 999 silver and hopefully the tests can prove either way but as i understand it that can still be disputed as machines can be fooled and is not a guarantee unless I have it professionally assayed and stamped.

As a new person to the silver market it is all about learning for me reading and contributing to forums like this 1

Tried to tell you this at the start of your post. Troy ounce or whatever don’t get hung up about that, the coin is the wrong weight so obviously fake.

regardless of what the buyer states, send it back and get a refund and report the seller.

when looking for a decent watch I ended up sending one back as once in hand I could see that it was a fake, just messaged seller to say it was on its way back! No hassle, money back.

As anyone will say, eBay is a minefield for coins, however a few simple checks both visual and comparing the stated dimensions will save you a lot of hassle. Also, if it looks too cheap, then there’s a reason!

6 minutes ago, Petra said:

Tried to tell you this at the start of your post. Troy ounce or whatever don’t get hung up about that, the coin is the wrong weight so obviously fake.

regardless of what the buyer states, send it back and get a refund and report the seller.

when looking for a decent watch I ended up sending one back as once in hand I could see that it was a fake, just messaged seller to say it was on its way back! No hassle, money back.

As anyone will say, eBay is a minefield for coins, however a few simple checks both visual and comparing the stated dimensions will save you a lot of hassle. Also, if it looks too cheap, then there’s a reason!

I totally agree and if it is fake it will be going back I messaged him before purchase and he knows it will be checked and returned if not genuine. I did check numista and i know it looked different from the 1 listed and the weight was different but as I said there were different mints producing this round at different weights numista only shows 1 so there must be others not listed.

It my be a newbie error but from the reading I have done it is all a gamble to an extent whether it's ebay or a dealer or even on here.

I an glad that it is a healthy debate and everyday is a school day.

5 hours ago, sixgun said:

The coin does not look genuine. Superficially it looks fine

10 hours ago, James32 said:

but these coins definitely exist

6 hours ago, daca said:

I strongly suggest that you have the round test by a professional, looks off to me

58 minutes ago, Petra said:

I've never seen or heard of these but my instant reaction on seeing the pictures was "fake"!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've never seen or heard of these but my instant reaction on seeing the pictures was "fake"!

1lb silver eagle does exist, but whether the one in question is "legit" is in doubt.

@Dakaras you had one recently I believe, can you offer any insight?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip