• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Moral Standards (Breaking up sets)

AaaGee

Ive just purchased a 1997 Proof set of silver Britannias.

Now, as you know these sets are sometimes purchased for the 1oz coin and the rest sold on and to be honest im only really interested in the one coin myself.

This is purely as ive only got 1 & 2oz coins in my stack/collection. And smaller weights have never been on my radar. Looking at the prices of the smaller coins i may get a small amount of my money back against my outlay but is it worth it?

That being said, they've been together for 25+ years and should maybe stay together?

What say you?

AaaGee

🙁 Hate all these coins swishing around for sale everywhere that are obviously from sets. Even worse, proof coins with no box or coa🫢 you do see a lot of the 97 split sets up for sale, seem to take a while to sell as they are not particularly wanted.

I do have 97 full set, yes I really only wanted the main one, but am happy with the set. Keep them together, display as they should be .. together!😁

Break it up. The smaller coins carry little premium (i have bought them at spot before) so use them as pocket pieces - I've even soldered a pin onto the 1/10oz before to use as a badge, it always gets people talking (That is actually not true, no-one has ever noticed). You could even get the half ounce coin enamelled or cut. Use the quarter ounce as a fancy golf marker or poker chip.. 

The less 4 coin sets there are the more mine will be worth he he he 

21 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Break it up. The smaller coins carry little premium (i have bought them at spot before) so use them as pocket pieces - I've even soldered a pin onto the 1/10oz before to use as a badge, it always gets people talking (That is actually not true, no-one has ever noticed). You could even get the half ounce coin enamelled or cut. Use the quarter ounce as a fancy golf marker or poker chip.. 

🤔😮🫣

what isn't in demand today doesn't mean it won't be in demand in future times

Folk are currently in love with the novelty of coins entombed in plastic coffins with numbers assigned to them, this may not be so in future 

Folk looking to break up sets up today for best profit, keeping the best 

If market demand ever does ever swing back to a trend of buying "as issued" some they will be well rewarded

but noone will be able to know exactly how many sets are out there unslabbed/unbroken

Also if such trends arrive back, you could find folk just cracking slabs to make up sets again and a market arising for buying original cases !

What does the future hold ??? who knows ??

Swings n roundabouts :) 

Thanks all. Think I'll keep the set. Loads of 1/4 and 1/2s ect for sale so im guessing some are victims of broken sets. Will put pix up when it arrives.

AaaGee

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Sneaky sneaky 😄

The collector side of me is  loathed to break up sets. The flipper side chases the profit, and there’s profit in breaking up sets.

the solution I’ve found is just buy multiple sets of the same coins, break some up for profit and then the profit pays for the set you keep. 

20 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Anyone know why they are cheaper to buy as sets rather than just the one 1oz coin on its own?

Cant see the logic 🤔

Just ignore anything on eBay, people just ask ridiculous prices. However, originally there were only just over 4000 individual coins sold and just under 12,000 sets sold. So a coin from a set won’t have an individual mint box and coa, the individual coin will have, hence higher price.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

what isn't in demand today doesn't mean it won't be in demand in future times

Folk are currently in love with the novelty of coins entombed in plastic coffins with numbers assigned to them, this may not be so in future 

Folk looking to break up sets up today for best profit, keeping the best 

If market demand ever does ever swing back to a trend of buying "as issued" some they will be well rewarded

but noone will be able to know exactly how many sets are out there unslabbed/unbroken

Also if such trends arrive back, you could find folk just cracking slabs to make up sets again and a market arising for buying original cases !

What does the future hold ??? who knows ??

Swings n roundabouts :) 

Well said, no one has crystal ball, so no one knows the future.  To me, i always prefer a complete set as issue to plastic coffin.

I couldn't do it! It was made as a 4 coin set, its 35 years old, why break it up for literally a couple of quid?

It's a lovely set, the first of its kind, and I'd bet there are considerably less than the original 12000 sets still out there fully intact.

But then I'm a sentimental fool! You paid for it - you can do what you like with it!

13 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Anyone know why they are cheaper to buy as sets rather than just the one 1oz coin on its own?

Cant see the logic 🤔

Because it's yet another example of people buying the packaging rather than the contents. According to my sources the issue limit for the single 1oz was 16,000 and the four coin set just shy of 12,000. (which feels right to me - more original demand for the individual coin over the set) How many of each were actually sold though ? 

Issue limits for the 1998 proofs are a quarter of those for the 1997 yet the '98 sets sell for £100 less than the '97 sets. 

Just goes to show that perception (wow, it's the first issue) rather than reality (there's a lot more of them) plays a huge role in determining a coins 'worth'.  

But i digress....

29 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Yeh, i noticed that with the 98 sets. Will probably search one of those out in the new year too.

The 2005 1oz proof has the lowest mintage of all, half that of 1998🤔

21 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

image.png.6d7542e47b7132b9e920721d9a8f4ec7.png

😏🤭😅

I've known people like this. One of my former bosses, who I hated. I used to leave things almost right for him, but not quite. It gave me no end of amusement. "Why is this drawing pin on the notice board red when all the others are blue?" 🤫 🤣😂

27 minutes ago, SidS said:

Buy another set and break that one up, keep the one you have as it is. Then you can do both, win/win.

Im not into selling. I tried to sell one coin a few months ago to put towards a Double Sovereign i wanted. Got my fingers burnt and still stinging now.

Once the set turns up, ill strike it off my list and move on to the next.

🙂

On 26/11/2022 at 12:01, AaaGee said:

Ive just purchased a 1997 Proof set of silver Britannias.

Now, as you know these sets are sometimes purchased for the 1oz coin and the rest sold on and to be honest im only really interested in the one coin myself.

This is purely as ive only got 1 & 2oz coins in my stack/collection. And smaller weights have never been on my radar. Looking at the prices of the smaller coins i may get a small amount of my money back against my outlay but is it worth it?

That being said, they've been together for 25+ years and should maybe stay together?

What say you?

AaaGee

Hello again,

A bit more information before your set arrives. I bought my set in 1997 directly from the RM for £84.95. The 1oz was selling for £34.50. You may find a bit of deterioration on the smaller coins - after all they have been in the box for 25 years!
This was the first silver Britannia by Machin but in 95.8%. Also this was the first and last Maklouf obverse.

1C2A4399-AE5C-424C-A500-576A544FD215.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Hello again,

A bit more information before your set arrives. I bought my set in 1997 directly from the RM for £84.95. The 1oz was selling for £34.50. You may find a bit of deterioration on the smaller coins - after all they have been in the box for 25 years!
This was the first silver Britannia by Machin but in 95.8%. Also this was the first and last Maklouf obverse.

1C2A4399-AE5C-424C-A500-576A544FD215.jpeg

Thanks for the info. RM track n trace doesn't seem to be working for me but hoping they'll turn up tomorrow. That was almost a weeks wages back then for the set and had a new born (well my other half did) so way out of range for my pockets.

I'll put pix up when it arrives. See how theyre looking after all this time.

AaaGee