• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed DrDave Coin Photography Setup for Mobiles

Introducing the Dr Dave Light Rig for Mobile Phone Photography (i might have to think of a simpler name 🤪)

the principle (if you don't already know) is that light enters from the diffuser end and reflects down onto your coin via the angled glass. With your mobile camera, or DSLR shooting perpendicular (ie, straight down) to the light source, the glass prevents any reflections from outside of the rig. 

So in short, the coin is lit from above which is ideal, and there are no reflections of the camera which is an issue on shiny coins, jewellery etc

I now have these in production, consisting of the case (app 10cm x 10cm x 11cm), the glass and rear frosted diffuser. They are £25.99 inc UK postage. Lead time is currently up to 5 working days. You will need a light source, and i'd recommend an inexpensive LED panel from Amazon as a good starting point, although a table lamp will work well if the diffuser is left in place. The circular baffle will accept up to Britannia sized coins.

The coin images below are from an iphone and are unedited with the exception of a square crop.

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpg

On 25/11/2022 at 22:45, Gordy said:

Dr Dave's Photo Booth...... 

Should take some pics with Lego minifigs.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

• 3 weeks later...

Might pick up one of these next month, lighting is really ticking me off. You should sell different coloured under bits as accessories (what the coin sits on) ;) purple/black/blue etc 

Took this today, and as you can see, there is too much light at the top, not enough at the bottom, which I'm sure your little contraption will mitigate.

Screenshot_20221223_172745.jpg

Archived