• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Coins Worth €1.6m Stolen in Nine-Minute Heist from German Museum

LawrenceChard

Gold Coins Worth €1.6m Stolen in Nine-Minute Heist from German Museum

According to BBC News:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63734933

1345730772_Goldcoinsworth1.6mstoleninnine-minuteheistfromGermanmuseum.thumb.jpg.4f2de63126ab0df22658b4e1ecf06745.jpg

The stolen gold coins were discovered near Manching in 1999, and are thought to date back the the first century BC.
By Nayana Mena & Mattea Bubalo
BBC News
Thieves have stolen a hoard of Celtic gold coins worth about €1.6m (£1.4m) from a museum in Germany.

Hundreds of coins were taken from the museum in Manching, Bavaria, in the middle of the night in a nine-minute raid, police said.

The thieves may have sabotaged the museum's alarm system. Just before the break-in, nearby internet cables were cut causing widespread outages.

Police are exploring whether the theft is linked to previous raids.

The outages meant the alarm system was not triggered when a door was pried open, although it was able to record when the robbery happened.

Employees discovered shattered glass on the museum floor and the coins missing from their display case the next morning.

Rupert Gebhard, Head of Collections at the State Archaeological Collection, mourned the loss saying, "It feels like losing an old friend."

A second display case was broken into, where three larger coins were also taken.

Officials suspect organised crime to be behind the coin robbery, and police alluded to "possible parallels" with previous heists.

In 2017, a hefty gold coin weighing 100kg was snatched from a Berlin museum. Two years later, thieves took 21 pieces of jewellery and other valuables in a dramatic diamond heist at Dresden's Green Vault museum that was caught on CCTV.

However, police warned that they "cannot say" whether there are connections between the thefts.

Three arrested over daring German diamond heist
Giant gold coin trial opens in Berlin
"It's clear that you don't just march into a museum and take its treasure," Markus Blume, Bavaria's Minister of science and arts, told local broadcaster BR.

"It is highly secure, and it is reasonable to assume that we are dealing with a case of organised crime."

Experts fear that the hoard of gold coins could be melted down, robbing them of their historical value.

They were unearthed during a 1999 archaeological dig near Manching - considered to be biggest discovery of Celtic gold in the 20th century. According to minister Mr Blume, the find gave people a glimpse into the daily lives of people living in Bavaria over 2000 years ago.

Anybody on TSF been to Germany recently?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard
added link

Chards

Just now, Essendie said:

Do you think they will really be melted down?

So much history 🥺

Most likely tbh. Otherwise once they start appearing on the market, alarm bells will go off ( if only they went off the first time)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

Most likely tbh. Otherwise once they start appearing on the market, alarm bells will go off ( if only they went off the first time)

I think I need to give up my dreams of a life of daring museum heists.
It's the only way I'd ever have a stash that big!
I don't think I could melt them down though, if it was me.

Better delete that balaclava from my amazon basket.

6 hours ago, CoinStruck said:

This article it factually incorrect. 

Firstly it took me only 8 minutes and secondly I am not melting them down - “for sale” post coming up on the TSF shortly. 

Every BBC news story should start with that! ......."This article it factually incorrect". 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

A very modern and very avoidable problem. Having any important infrastructure fully reliant on an internet connection is very short sighted. I can understand an alert system attached to the alarm network using a connection to inform a remote user of a trigger, but that would be the limit and the standard telephony network can be used to do this anyway. The whole thing should have been essentially ring fenced from the web really. It should be the same with power stations, hospitals and the like. You suffer some inconvenience for superior security. 

It doesn't hurt to employ a decent number of guards with pew-pews too. 

That said a good heist is strangely satisfying, especially as it was pro-level and didn't involve murdering anyone. Sad the coins will likely be melted though 

I do not endorse criminal activity in any way MI6 algo-bot 👀