• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM 25 years of £2, it's like Christmas every day!

Simonz

Wow, another commemorative coin series! When does 'new coin fatigue' set in?

How does this year compare to other years for commemorative coin launches? There's obviously going to be a few extra with the 'changing of the guard' but it seems never ending!

Also wonder what might cause bottle necks for the mint? Making dies? machine set up time between short runs? materials? despatch? Hope they can deliver in reasonable timeframe...

RM 2 pound.png

On 22/11/2022 at 20:19, Simonz said:

RM 25 years of £2, it's like Christmas every day!

How does this year compare to other years for commemorative coin launches? There's obviously going to be a few extra with the 'changing of the guard' but it seems never ending!

Also wonder what might cause bottle necks for the mint? Making dies? machine set up time between short runs? materials? despatch? Hope they can deliver in reasonable timeframe...

RM 2 pound.png

"Hope they can deliver in reasonable timeframe..."

If it looks like this, I am sure it will be worth waiting for:

1486848428_19971998ShouldersofGiantsSilverProof2PoundPiedfortBimetallic2CoinsSetCert19971998DisplayCROP(1).thumb.jpg.b5f230b342eb3ceeb95758809346d3d3.jpg

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Making me nervous having just ordered my first coin from them! Charles sov, hope it doesn't take 25 years! Although it's got a long way to come and NZ Customs are extremely random! There's no VAT on 9999 gold but there is on 22K so they take ages trying to work it out! Thank God I'm not a flipper!

Edited by Simonz
typo

RM mintage stats, number of commemorative sets each year looks ROUGHLY like...

2022 x 25

2021-2019 no info?

2018 x 18

2017 x 13

2016 x 13

Reporting categories get less consistent as you go further back, and nothing for 2019-21, but 2022 looks like a bumper year.

Disclaimer: this is a quick and dirty count as there are all sorts of different things going on, SOTD bullion, Normal proof sovs, etc.

Interested to know if there's a more accurate resource out there?

If memory serves me right that the RM has  taken the decision not to mint any more new £2 for circulation for at least anther 10 years.    Don't think theres been any new ones in circulation for the last 4-5 years......not seen any, but then again 90% of all my transactions now are contactless/apple pay.

15 hours ago, Simonz said:

I've always hated the "Technologies" design. Just looks ugly! I have no idea who is going to be "celebrating" it's anniversary, but I won't be at the party.

Buy high. Sell low.

5 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If memory serves me right that the RM has  taken the decision not to mint any more new £2 for circulation for at least anther 10 years.    Don't think theres been any new ones in circulation for the last 4-5 years......not seen any, but then again 90% of all my transactions now are contactless/apple pay.

Yes, they did announce (last year?) no new circulation £2 (and 2p) for at least 10 years, as demand was forecast low and there was enough already in storage. They did however release 2021 date 2p and there are murmurings of 2021 Britannia £2. Perhaps these had already been planned/produced, who knows?

32 minutes ago, DdraigAur said:

Yes, they did announce (last year?) no new circulation £2 (and 2p) for at least 10 years, as demand was forecast low and there was enough already in storage. They did however release 2021 date 2p and there are murmurings of 2021 Britannia £2. Perhaps these had already been planned/produced, who knows?

Yes I did see a new 2p I like to look out for circulation coins No KCIII yet the 50ps are looking like jan 23, + the time it take to filter through the cash centres. 

10 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

depends what you mean by new ones in circulation.  they minted the "new" definitive £2 - a britannia - in 2015 and 2016 but only released them in 21(?)   but I am sure they will make up for it with the special coins they will release each week next year ( joke, i hope! )

1 hour ago, bluffer said:

depends what you mean by new ones in circulation.  they minted the "new" definitive £2 - a britannia - in 2015 and 2016 but only released them in 21(?)   but I am sure they will make up for it with the special coins they will release each week next year ( joke, i hope! )

2015 and 2016 Britannia's have definitely been in circulation since their date of issue. You are correct though that sometimes it can take a while for them to show up and be used, every now and then a batch of new old coins will surface. The murmurings I've heard about 2021 Britannia £2 is from the youtuber Christopher Collects, he seems to have some insider knowledge.  

On 22/11/2022 at 20:19, Simonz said:

RM 2 pound.png

Every 2 or 3 weeks there is a rm release of something for some obscure anniversary.

2025 will be the 25th anniversary of the new millennium celibrate this remarkable event with the royal mint with it's SOTD limited edition sovereigns. Only  2025 of these lovely proof coins will be released at only £2025. 

2 hours ago, StackemHigh said:

Every 2 or 3 weeks there is a rm release of something for some obscure anniversary.

2025 will be the 25th anniversary of the new millennium celibrate this remarkable event with the royal mint with it's SOTD limited edition sovereigns. Only  2025 of these lovely proof coins will be released at only £2025. 

I joked years ago that we'd have that many commemoratives that we'd end up having commemorative coins about previously issued commemorative coins. It seems they heard me.

Just look at the Kew Gardens re-release.

18 hours ago, SidS said:

I joked years ago that we'd have that many commemoratives that we'd end up having commemorative coins about previously issued commemorative coins. It seems they heard me.

Just look at the Kew Gardens re-release.

I am looking forward to the Chards Diamond Anniversary Commemorative coin  (1964 - 2024) Apparently loyal customers will get a discount & free postage! ⛷🙂😎

Edited by Britannia47

44 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

I am looking forward to the Chards Diamond Anniversary Commemorative coin  (1964 - 2024) Apparently loyal customers will get a discount & free postage! ⛷🙂😎

I'm looking forward to the 2025 version which commemorates the free postage.