• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tristan da Cunha sovereign

danieldorkins

Good evening all

Hoping the knowledgable collective here can provide some information on the following coin, it is a "2022 Queen Elizabeth 11 Platinum Jubilee Gold Proof Sovereign" the reverse has the coronation portrait (which I really like!) produced for Tristan da Cunha and sold by Harrington & Byrne, limited mintage of 999, I purchased it at an auction for what I think is a reasonable price but would like to know how it stacks up against the Royal Mint edition (which I also have) particularly what value would be put on it, no idea what its original sale price was as there is nothing on HB that I can find.

Thanks in anticipation

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

40 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

Good evening all

Hoping the knowledgable collective here can provide some information on the following coin, it is a "2022 Queen Elizabeth 11 Platinum Jubilee Gold Proof Sovereign" the reverse has the coronation portrait (which I really like!) produced for Tristan da Cunha and sold by Harrington & Byrne, limited mintage of 999, I purchased it at an auction for what I think is a reasonable price but would like to know how it stacks up against the Royal Mint edition (which I also have) particularly what value would be put on it, no idea what its original sale price was as there is nothing on HB that I can find.

Thanks in anticipation

Why not satisfy people's curiousity, and tell us how much you paid?

Or, define "reasonable".

I forecast that about 99% of TSF members would prefer the UK (Royal Mint) equivalent.

Harry & Brian probably have other similar stuff on their website. If not, try London Mint Office, Hattons of London, Coin Portfolio Management, or one of the many other Coin Marketing ****s Companies, who peddle similar stuff.

😎

Chards

No secret, I paid £420 but was not aware that is was a Tristan da Cunha, not a problem as I do like it and it makes a change from the "usual" sovereign designs!

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

45 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Why not satisfy people's curiousity, and tell us how much you pai

Or, define "reasonable".

I forecast that about 99% of TSF members would prefer the UK (Royal Mint) equivalent.

Harry & Brian probably have other similar stuff on their website. If not, try London Mint Office, Hattons of London, Coin Portfolio Management, or one of the many other Coin Marketing ****s Companies, who peddle similar stuff.

😎

interesting comment "peddling similar stuff" noticed some are listed on Chards! 😕

No secret I paid £420

Edited by danieldorkins

I think there's a very limited resale market for these coins if you have paid a significant premium over spot for it, which you have.

So the good news is that you like the design.  Personally I wouldn't look to pay much of a premium over spot for it, but I'm not the target market.

I don't think it's anywhere near the same league as the official RM proof sovereigns when it comes to desirability.  But if it's a good-looking coin with a nice design and well-finished, enjoy it for what it is.

1 hour ago, danieldorkins said:

interesting comment "peddling similar stuff" noticed some are listed on Chards! 😕

No secret I paid £420

Sure, the difference is we don't promote new ones at high issue prices.

Because we are (real) dealers, we buy coins, almost any coins. Then we need to sell them.

Some of the TDC , and other stuff, is quite nice, but not well-loved. Depending on how we feel about the particular coins, we might offer them out at anything from bullion price upwards. You paid about 20% premium, which is a good price if you like them.

It looks like you correctly picked up the inference in my wording!

😎

Chards

30 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I think there's a very limited resale market for these coins if you have paid a significant premium over spot for it, which you have.

So the good news is that you like the design.  Personally I wouldn't look to pay much of a premium over spot for it, but I'm not the target market.

I don't think it's anywhere near the same league as the official RM proof sovereigns when it comes to desirability.  But if it's a good-looking coin with a nice design and well-finished, enjoy it for what it is.

Good advice, thank you, bit more of a learning curve, particularly to be a bit more careful with auction descriptions! however, not too disappointed as I was luckier on some other lots!

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sure, the difference is we don't promote new ones at high issue prices.

Because we are (real) dealers, we buy coins, almost any coins. Then we need to sell them.

Some of the TDC , and other stuff, is quite nice, but not well-loved. Depending on how we feel about the particular coins, we might offer them out at anything from bullion price upwards. You paid about 20% premium, which is a good price if you like them.

It looks like you correctly picked up the inference in my wording!

😎

I did go and look at the sites you suggested, I have always done my "window" shopping on the dealer sites that are mainly RM based releases and talked about on this excellent forum in my short coin life, others I have looked at initially caused confusion due to the variety of unknown(to me coins) listed, the new issues on these sites are, as you say and being polite - expensive also with a little more hands on experience with the good stuff, the quality is not really there and some are downright amateurish and even ugly, the description on the auction site was a little lacking so a good lesson learnt!

Must admit it doesn’t look half bad. As you may be aware most collectors would regard this as a ‘Pseudo-sovereign’ Unfortunately the RM does not have exclusive use of the Sovereign name, so marketing companies will take advantage of this fact, thus I am not surprised you we’re not told by H & B that it was Tristan Da Cunha. I believe this was minted by the Commonwealth Mint based near Bristol. They also do similar coinage for Alderney, Gibraltar etc. But at least they used the full name ‘Tristan Da Cunha’ instead of TDC, as used by the London Mint Office who often hide this in their advertising. You are meant to believe these coins are the real McCoy!

As Stuntman has stated, you are not the target market. These companies generally aim at the general public through newspaper advertising, often selling very small gold coins - 1g or even 0.5g but giving you the impression they are much larger. A plus point is that Tristan Da Cunha gets paid a royalty for each coin sold, maybe shared by the 238 inhabitants of the island! 

So there you have it, but it sounds as if you’re OK with this.

Last year I made a mistake buying a bullion 2022 Sovereign from H&B like many others on TSF for £319 (Loss-Leader!) Great you might think, but then plagued by unwelcome mail shots and phone calls. Good luck with any future buys by the way 😀

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Must admit it doesn’t look half bad. As you may be aware most collectors would regard this as a ‘Pseudo-sovereign’ Unfortunately the RM does not have exclusive use of the Sovereign name, so marketing companies will take advantage of this fact, thus I am not surprised you we’re not told by H & B that it was Tristan Da Cunha. I believe this was minted by the Commonwealth Mint based near Bristol. They also do similar coinage for Alderney, Gibraltar etc. But at least they used the full name ‘Tristan Da Cunha’ instead of TDC, as used by the London Mint Office who often hide this in their advertising. You are meant to believe these coins are the real McCoy!

As Stuntman has stated, you are not the target market. These companies generally aim at the general public through newspaper advertising, often selling very small gold coins - 1g or even 0.5g but giving you the impression they are much larger. A plus point is that Tristan Da Cunha gets paid a royalty for each coin sold, maybe shared by the 238 inhabitants of the island! 

So there you have it, but it sounds as if you’re OK with this.

Last year I made a mistake buying a bullion 2022 Sovereign from H&B like many others on TSF for £319 (Loss-Leader!) Great you might think, but then plagued by unwelcome mail shots and phone calls. Good luck with any future buys by the way 😀

Thanks, good and helpful information, it was an auction lot and described as QE 11 blah blah blah, the fact it was in a Harrington and Byrne box did not register so initially a little disappointed to find it was a TDC coin, always considered this type of coin as being "sub standard" and as such had never really looked at them but on inspection I was quite taken by it! so it's not gone in the stack it's one I shall keep as a quite attractive curio along with other bits (such as sovereign holders and cases!)