Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

The Big 5 bullion, 25 years?


Tn21

Recommended Posts

Oh, yes, I see now. The press release says "a new animal every five years". CoinInvest says "Each year, a coin featuring one of the five animals will be released starting with the Elephant". Atkinsons says "This coin is the first in this series with a new one every five years" which to me is completely ambiguous as to whether it's a new animal or a new series every 5 years.

I now wish I hadn't sounded so certain about that particular aspect in my summary in the earlier post 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ozzie456 said:

Oh, yes, I see now. The press release says "a new animal every five years". CoinInvest says "Each year, a coin featuring one of the five animals will be released starting with the Elephant". Atkinsons says "This coin is the first in this series with a new one every five years" which to me is completely ambiguous as to whether it's a new animal or a new series every 5 years.

I now wish I hadn't sounded so certain about that particular aspect in my summary in the earlier post 🙂

It sounds to me that the South African Mint are looking to emulate something like the Lunar coins series, albeit with a 5 coin series instead of twelve of Lunars.

The Big 5 bullion series, a new animal every five years beginning with the elephant, followed by the lion, the rhino, the leopard and lastly, the buffalo. Then repeat the cycle.

the-12-animals-of-the-chinese-zodiac-2012-year-of-the-dragon.thumb.png.db5ecfd887557ffe3a57673124528db5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, that's what I finally decided on.

Like a Series 1, Series 2 and so forth.

The Big 5 Series, like the Lunar (12) Series.

All a bit meh to me.

Technically, alcohol is a solution..

'It [socialism] poses a growing threat, however unintentional, to the freedom of this country, for there is no freedom where the State totally controls the economy. Personal freedom and economic freedom are indivisible. You can’t have one without the other. You can’t lose one without losing the other.'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got an answer from the SA mint regarding the big 5 bullion coins.

Right we have the Elephant, which I have in fact just received today, dated 2022. Same design will appear in years 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026

The the Lion will take over for another 5years. Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo will then follow with 5 year stints.

So the first Buffalo will not appear until 2042!  By then I will probably pushing up the daisies so will just have the Elepahant.

So if one was keen you could go 5 coins or if very keen 25 coins

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Finally got an answer from the SA mint regarding the big 5 bullion coins.

Right we have the Elephant, which I have in fact just received today, dated 2022. Same design will appear in years 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026

The the Lion will take over for another 5years. Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo will then follow with 5 year stints.

So the first Buffalo will not appear until 2042!  By then I will probably pushing up the daisies so will just have the Elepahant.

So if one was keen you could go 5 coins or if very keen 25 coins

 

Are you sure because there seems to be full sets out?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is confusing as there are sets from series 2 whereas these 1oz bullion are called series 1

As I mentioned before the SA mint are vying with our RM to confuse people. Releasing this series that series some in proof only or small value ones.

I believe I am right here in what I said applying to the 1oz gold bullion.

Edited by Bogart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bogart said:

Finally got an answer from the SA mint regarding the big 5 bullion coins.

Right we have the Elephant, which I have in fact just received today, dated 2022. Same design will appear in years 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026

The the Lion will take over for another 5years. Rhino, Leopard and Buffalo will then follow with 5 year stints.

So the first Buffalo will not appear until 2042!  By then I will probably pushing up the daisies so will just have the Elepahant.

So if one was keen you could go 5 coins or if very keen 25 coins

 

Thanks for taking the time to ask them.

Using the same design for five years seems bizarre, especially when they already have other designs of the same animals! It's not likely that I'll buy exactly the same design again next year, so that will be their loss. You'd have thought that if they wanted to do 5 consecutive years of elephants, they would have at least done the elephant Series 2 in 2023, and Series 3 (assuming it will exist) in 2024, and so on, before going back to Series 1 for the lion in 2027.

Do we think they're already planning ahead for a 25 year run of Series 2 in bullion, starting in 2047 and ending in 2072?! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are plenty of info on the SA Mint website. So best to obtain accurate info on there.

The series II Lion has already been released.  Though a strong local demand may have caused supply issues abroad.

A radio interview (14 mins long) with the SA Mint Managing Director is here.  She talks about the bullion Series II collection. So no need to second guess !

 

 

Screenshot_20230125_065403_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.88d0868ad70e6a2d4110e088954d1dd7.png

 

 

 

The Rhino is next. Just as I though, a five coin series - Elephant, Lion,  Rhino, Leopard and lastly, the buffalo. Then repeat the cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

There are plenty of info on the SA Mint website. So best to obtain accurate info on there.

The series II Lion has already been released.  Though a strong local demand may have caused supply issues abroad.

A radio interview (14 mins long) with the SA Mint Managing Director is here.  She talks about the bullion Series II collection. So no need to second guess !

 

 

Screenshot_20230125_065403_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.88d0868ad70e6a2d4110e088954d1dd7.png

 

 

 

The Rhino is next. Just as I though, a five coin series - Elephant, Lion,  Rhino, Leopard and lastly, the buffalo. Then repeat the cycle.

Isn't it a proof coin not a bullion? It is listed on LPM website as Big 5 Series II Proof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the proof series has been released every 6 months since 2019, with a different animal each time:

  • Series 1, five different animals, between 2019 and early 2021
  • Series 2, three animals so far, two more to come, started in late 2021

The radio interview is from early 2022, when the second coin in the series 2 proof was being released, and before the bullion series had started. So far there is only one bullion coin, the elephant series 1, released in late 2022. It's specifically the bullion series release schedule that we've been trying to understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ozzie456 said:

Yes, the proof series has been released every 6 months since 2019, with a different animal each time:

  • Series 1, five different animals, between 2019 and early 2021
  • Series 2, three animals so far, two more to come, started in late 2021

The radio interview is from early 2022, when the second coin in the series 2 proof was being released, and before the bullion series had started. So far there is only one bullion coin, the elephant series 1, released in late 2022. It's specifically the bullion series release schedule that we've been trying to understand.

You're right. The series II coins are proofs again. I originally thought Series I were proofs and Series II are bullion. I stand corrected.

The quest for a definitive answer on the Bullion Series Big 5 continues.

(Still, my guess is that the Bullion series will follow the same cycle as the proof coins).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use