Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014.ย Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topicย posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :)ย happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads.ย 

1887 Victoria Golden Jubilee Gold and Silver Set - Spot the Boob!


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

1887 Victoria Golden Jubilee Gold and Silver Set - Spot the Boob!

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.thumb.jpg.f44480cb25bc0a97171e6a5f5d3138bd.jpg

No prizes!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

That's one big shilling!

To say nothing of the florin.

They swapped bodies or something?

The whole set is clearly fake therefore...

Edited by SidS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SidS said:

That's one big shilling!

To say nothing of the florin.

They swapped bodies or something?

The whole set is clearly fake therefore...

That's one big shilling! - Correct!

To say nothing of the florin. - What's wrong with it?

They swapped bodies or something? - Something like that!

The whole set is clearly fake therefore... - No, it's all genuine!

But...

ย 

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's one big shilling! - Correct!

To say nothing of the florin. - What's wrong with it?

They swapped bodies or something? - Something like that!

The whole set is clearly fake therefore... - No, it's all genuine!

But...

ย 

It must be a pattern set? The florin has the shilling design and the shilling has the florin design.

Are they cardboard cutouts? ๐Ÿ˜

Chocolate coins? ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by SidS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, SidS said:

It must be a pattern set? The florin has the shilling design and the shilling has the florin design.

Are they cardboard cutouts? ๐Ÿ˜

Chocolate coins? ๐Ÿ˜

It must be a pattern set?

No.

The florin has the shilling design and the shilling has the florin design.

You are very close!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright one last guess. The shilling is it's normal design, and the other coin which is in between the sixpence and the shilling is an eightpence pattern coin. I know they did several of these patterns over the years, but never went with it.

Although looking at the sovereign, I'd still wager my original guess was closer to the truth.

Some kind of cockup at the mint? Not that such things ever occurred.

Edited by SidS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Foster88 said:

No way is that case 135 years old.

I am sure you are right, but that was not the answer I was looking for.

Thousands of 1887 non-proof jubilee sets have been made up over the years, so different cases have probably been made in every decade since.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

1887 Victoria Golden Jubilee Gold and Silver Set - Spot the Boob!

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.thumb.jpg.f44480cb25bc0a97171e6a5f5d3138bd.jpg

No prizes!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

16 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Pesky ยฃ5 coin? ๐Ÿ‘€

16 hours ago, SidS said:

That's one big shilling!

To say nothing of the florin.

They swapped bodies or something?

The whole set is clearly fake therefore...

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

No!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's one big shilling! - Correct!

To say nothing of the florin. - What's wrong with it?

They swapped bodies or something? - Something like that!

The whole set is clearly fake therefore... - No, it's all genuine!

But...

ย 

14 hours ago, Petra said:

Is it the โ€˜bar maids griefโ€™, or the version of the sixpence which ended up being changed due to its similarity to the half sovereign?๐Ÿค”

13 hours ago, SidS said:

It must be a pattern set? The florin has the shilling design and the shilling has the florin design.

Are they cardboard cutouts? ๐Ÿ˜

Chocolate coins? ๐Ÿ˜

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

It must be a pattern set?

No.

The florin has the shilling design and the shilling has the florin design.

You are very close!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

11 hours ago, SidS said:

Alright one last guess. The shilling is it's normal design, and the other coin which is in between the sixpence and the shilling is an eightpence pattern coin. I know they did several of these patterns over the years, but never went with it.

Although looking at the sovereign, I'd still wager my original guess was closer to the truth.

Some kind of cockup at the mint? Not that such things ever occurred.

I think that @DrDaveย would get the right answer.

@SemolinaPilchardย already knows, so I hope he doesn't reveal the answer until later.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think that @DrDaveย would get the right answer.

@SemolinaPilchardย already knows, so I hope he doesn't reveal the answer until later.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Hmm?

Well, not being a coin expert, but have a little bit of history with photography, it looks like a composite image. So if you look closely at the coin in the middle (you see, i don't know Jack!ย ๐Ÿ˜Š) the milled edge is very soft, ie not in focus) but the face of the coin is pin sharp front to back. The other coins are similar.

and on the right it has 2 milled edges!!

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.jpg.37628a425218a84c33ae0f34c94f3abc copy11.jpg

Edited by DrDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think that @DrDaveย would get the right answer.

@SemolinaPilchardย already knows, so I hope he doesn't reveal the answer until later.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

oh, and the 2 sovereigns in the top centre are actually the same coin, just resized. There is a little toning on each at about 2o'clock which is identical

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.jpg.37628a425218a84c33ae0f34c94f3abc copy.jpg

Edited by DrDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

...and on the right it has 2 milled edges!!

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.jpg.37628a425218a84c33ae0f34c94f3abc copy11.jpg

How many denticles does that make then, do I have to count the doubled ones too?

I'll have to get Diane Abbott to help me. She says eleventy six.

Edited by SidS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DrDave said:

Hmm?

Well, not being a coin expert, but have a little bit of history with photography, it looks like a composite image. So if you look closely at the coin in the middle (you see, i don't know Jack!ย ๐Ÿ˜Š) the milled edge is very soft, ie not in focus) but the face of the coin is pin sharp front to back. The other coins are similar.

and on the right it has 2 milled edges!!

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.jpg.37628a425218a84c33ae0f34c94f3abc copy11.jpg

ย 

4 hours ago, DrDave said:

oh, and the 2 sovereigns in the top centre are actually the same coin, just resized. There is a little toning on each at about 2o'clock which is identical

1887SovereignSpecimenSetGoldandSilverBUSovereignVictoriaJubileeHeadCoinWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMint11Coinsreversedesignsinboxcrop.jpg.37628a425218a84c33ae0f34c94f3abc copy.jpg

I expected some excellent forensic work, and got it.

You spotted something I had missed, @SemolinaPilchard, but missed my main point, which had been noted by @SidS, who came very close to the answer I was looking for.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
ร—
ร—
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use