• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why no silver nickel in US Mint silver proof set?

Why isn't there a silver nickel in the US Mint silver proof set?

It seems silly to offer a set like this and not make the nickel silver.

I know they just recently went from 90% to 99.9% silver just a couple of years ago.  So maybe they will change the sets and make the nickels silver at some point too.

They should also offer a pure copper penny.

Just silly the US Mint stops short of an excellent silver proof set by not offering all precious metals.

20 minutes ago, thegreywizard said:

Why isn't there a silver nickel in the

It seems silly to offer a set like this and not make the nickel silver.

I know they just recently went from 90% to 99.9% silver just a couple of years ago.  So maybe they will change the sets and make the nickels silver at some point too.

They should also offer a pure copper penny.

Just silly the US Mint stops short of an excellent silver proof set by not offering all precious metals.

There is a clue in the name by which you Americans call your 5 cent piece - a "nickel".

Guess why a nickel is called a nickel.

When first issued in 1866, it was made of nickel, although more accurately it was cupro-nickel.

It may be better to put your question to the US Mint, it would be interesting to hear their answer, if any.

Their "specifications" say:

SPECIFICATIONS
Icon_Arrow_Up_Blue.png
Denomination: Penny Nickel Dime Quarters (each) Half Dollar Native American $1 Coin
Composition: 2.5% copper, balance, zinc 25% nickel, balance, copper 99.9% silver 99.9% silver 99.9% silver 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, 2% nickel, balance copper
Weight/Silver Fine Weight: 2.500 grams 5.000 grams 0.079 troy oz.  0.199 troy oz. 0.399 troy oz.  8.100
grams
Diameter: 0.750 inch (19.05 mm) 0.835 inch (21.21 mm) 0.705 inch (17.91 mm) 0.955 inch (24.26 mm) 1.205 inches (30.61 mm) 1.043
inches
(26.49
mm)
Edge: Plain Plain Reeded Reeded Reeded Lettered
Mint and Mint Mark: San Francisco – S San Francisco – S San Francisco – S San Francisco – S San Francisco – S San
Francisco
– S

So while you are at it, you should be asking why the cent is not made of silver, instead of 2.5% copper, balance, zinc.

And also why they call it a penny, when it is a cent. You guys had a revolution about 250 years ago to get rid of us Brits, and stop using the penny.

Not only, but also... You should ask why the dollar is not a silver dollar, but is made of 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, 2% nickel, balance copper.

Why should they a pure copper penny? They have not made copper cents since 1857.

In any case, make your mind up. do you want these pure copper pennies to be made of silver, or not?

😎

Chards

lol nice answer and a little history lesson

I'm ok with regular, in-circulation nickels being made of a nickel blend, but for a 99.9% silver proof set, I would expect them to upgrade the base metal to silver as well.  These sets are supposed to be the best of the best.  Just seems silly to not go the extra mile and give us all silver.  The price difference would be negligible and can be baked in the cost and no one would care.

I would take a silver penny or a pure copper penny to be honest.  I think having a 100% pure copper penny would be cool.  But hey if they want to ever press out 99.9% silver pennies for these silver proof sets, I'd be all for it!

21 minutes ago, thegreywizard said:

lol nice answer and a little history lesson

I'm ok with regular, in-circulation nickels being made of a nickel blend, but for a 99.9% silver proof set, I would expect them to upgrade the base metal to silver as well.  These sets are supposed to be the best of the best.  Just seems silly to not go the extra mile and give us all silver.  The price difference would be negligible and can be baked in the cost and no one would care.

I would take a silver penny or a pure copper penny to be honest.  I think having a 100% pure copper penny would be cool.  But hey if they want to ever press out 99.9% silver pennies for these silver proof sets, I'd be all for it!

I do actually fully agree with you that if the US Mint describes and markets these as "Silver Sets", then they should be silver, and that should apply to all the coins.

Part of the reason may be the US Mint has a monopoly, in the USA at least, and if these almost silver sets sell, why bother doing the job right?

There is a similar thought in the UK, and lots of grumbles about our Royal Mint, its quality control, and more. For me their biggest shortsightedness is making our gold sovereigns a red colour instead of a nice yellow colour. Now if they had some competition, things might change!

😎

Chards

On 11/10/2022 at 19:36, thegreywizard said:

Why isn't there a silver nickel in the US Mint silver proof set?

Seems like a contradiction in terms. That being said during the war they did issues silver nickels, the war nickel, about 35% silver and they tone horribly.

I don't think regular nickels should be made of silver.

But when they are selling a 99.9% Silver Proof set - I expect everything to be made of silver.

The cost difference for them is negligible when they charge $200 for these sets.  

The satisfaction difference for buyers is huge, in my opinion.

Edited by thegreywizard