• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Toning on a PF69 UC NGC Graded Coin?

Stuh

I fully admit I know 'bob-all' about graded coins, but nevertheless have somehow got one in my bullion stack... A ninja panda that's crept in and I need help with him...

I've noticed that the reverse of the coin has what looks like black toning in places, on the very edge, right where the coin meets the plastic holder material. Can anyone who 'knows' graded coins help me with this - is this black toning normal on new-ish graded coins? Was it likely to have had this toning before it went into the case? And probably most importantly for me, does it affect the grading or the value in any way? I'm not overly bothered if it turns into 'just' a bullion coin, as it's still a nice chunk 🙂

Hopefully the photos show the issue well enough. I obviously haven't taken it out of the case to examine the reeded edges more closely!

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7932.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

Two parrots were sitting on a perch. One said “can you smell fish?”

9 hours ago, Stuh said:

Toning on a PF69 UC NGC Graded Coin?

I fully admit I know 'bob-all' about graded coins, but nevertheless have somehow got one in my bullion stack... A ninja panda that's crept in and I need help with him...

I've noticed that the reverse of the coin has what looks like black toning in places, on the very edge, right where the coin meets the plastic holder material. Can anyone who 'knows' graded coins help me with this - is this black toning normal on new-ish graded coins? Was it likely to have had this toning before it went into the case? And probably most importantly for me, does it affect the grading or the value in any way? I'm not overly bothered if it turns into 'just' a bullion coin, as it's still a nice chunk 🙂

Hopefully the photos show the issue well enough. I obviously haven't taken it out of the case to examine the reeded edges more closely!

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7932.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

Silver tones / tarnishes (scientific fact).

As this is an NGC slab, you could try reading their FAQ pages about toning, and their grading criteria.

This might be helpful:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/coin-toning/232

😎

Chards