• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's Beast or Tudor Beasts ?

Bogart

One ounce gold bullion coins is one series more desirable or sensible to collect? And to add another spanner into the works would one be better getting proof versions as a full collection?

Just now, Bogart said:

One ounce gold bullion coins is one series more desirable or sensible to collect? And to add another spanner into the works would one be better getting proof versions as a full collection?

If you want to collect QB series then you're effectively playing catch up... Some of the coins rarely pop up on the 2nd hand market and you'd usually have to pay a sizeable premium to acquire them. 

The Tudor Beasts are still current so can be picked up a little more than equivalent Britannias for now for the first and the majority are still to be released.

As for proofs... I'll let someone else answer that 

You might also wish to consider the actual aesthetic merits of each series. For me, the Queen's Beasts are superior so far as I can make direct comparisons. The Tudor Lion is an unfortunate and not very regal creature who looks like he is taking a dump, as some one  put it. Whilst the Tudor Yale looks like a large domestic goat rather than a mythical beast. The Seymour Panther, however, has no direct rival, I'll admit. I buy coins that I am happy to continue to look at it, which I would concede does not always lead to maximum financial gain.

I’ve literally just started to collect the Tudor series. We are only 2 coins in to a 10 coin set (potentially 11 if they do a completer) and the premiums are only likely to rise on the early coins as we move forward. I like the look of them. Maybe not everyone’s taste but nonetheless they will be a collectors set. I missed the boat on the Queen’s Beasts but would have started that collection if they were released now. As for proof - personally I don’t collect proof coins. I can’t justify the huge premiums over BU. 

If your starting from scratch TB's are much easier to collect as they are current, will be an interesting series given it will have two monarchs on (maybe even 3) and contains a 2023 coin with the Queens Head.  Only time will tell if it does as well as the QB Series but given you can buy it now without the premium on some of the QB's to me its an easy decision, if the TB series does not do well you have not overpaid for it.

If your after QB's, I have seen a lot of full collections of the golds and silvers sell for reasonable amounts, far less than they would have gone for individually so I would say that would be the best thing to look out for rather than picking them up one at a time.

Edited by Orpster

Thanks for all the useful info guys. Yes RHDC can see your meaning re the lion, he looks as if he is having difficulty! Think the Yale actually looks okay.

Edited by Bogart

I would suggest focusing on the current Tudor Beasts series as you are not playing "catch up" like others have stated.  However at the same time keep an eye out on listings for Queens Beasts coins as they are still worth investing in. I still feel that the original QB series is of far higher quality and far more superior in designs compared to the Tudor Beasts. Either way good luck and enjoy your new coins! 🙂

23 hours ago, Bogart said:

If you are intending to buy for investment, you could read this first:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

If you are buying as a collector, because you like the coins, or the designs, then just buy them, enjoy owning them, and don't worry too much about what they might be worth in 50  or 100 years time, when you might be dead and gone.

😎

Chards

20 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you are intending to buy for investment, you could read this first:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

If you are buying as a collector, because you like the coins, or the designs, then just buy them, enjoy owning them, and don't worry too much about what they might be worth in 50  or 100 years time, when you might be dead and gone.

😎

Yes buying because I like the look of them.

I buy bullion and I buy bullion as close to spot as I can get it. One shiny coin is much the same as another shiny coin to me.

If I were to pay a big dollop more for a proof 1oz coin over a bullion 1 oz coin I still only have an ounce of metal and they are both "only" worth that 1oz spot price ish unless you can be confident a collector or dealer will be easily found to take them off your hands if and when you need rid.

I could shovel bullion in my pocket, jump on a bus or train and swaperoo them for hard cash at spot ish easy. No sweat. So if a young sex addicted leggy blonde 16 year old wanted to elope with me there's no mucking about wasting time trying to get good prices!!!