• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anybody with Chinese coin knowledge?

I was at an auction a few days back, and there was a small bag of Chinese coins up for grabs which nobody seemed interested in (probably for a good reason!).

I'm not under the illusion that this will have any value, but i bought them because i thought they'd be nice to photograph and try to discover the history, age etc.

I've had a brief look but not identified it as yet. 

Anybody know anything about Chinese coins??

This one is 35mm diameter, 2.2mm thick and weighs 12.7g

2022-10-03 12-37-49 (B,Radius8,Smoothing5)-Edit.jpg

Have a look through those, the symbols match in some cases. Due to the very good condition and strike of yours I'd be leaning toward them being replicas, buuut I am learning about these coins as I look them up so it could just be that you have excellent examples?

1 minute ago, Arganto said:

Have a look through those, the symbols match in some cases. Due to the very good condition and strike of yours I'd be leaning toward them being replicas, buuut I am learning about these coins as I look them up so it could just be that you have excellent examples?

I've been told that its a  qian de yuan bao from around AD919. 

The dimensions are the same as mine, so im inclined to thnk (hope) that its real, but its still only a few quids worth!

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20616.html

You're probably right, very cool. Not everything needs a high £ value to be worth holding onto. The use and history that goes along with that sort of thing is incredible. Nice find bud, plus I learned about a type of coin I'd not come across before which is cool.

I feel you were slightly more cunning than a cunning fox on cunning day during a period of exemplary cunning however, as you already knew what it was 🤣

2 minutes ago, Arganto said:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20616.html

I feel you were slightly more cunning than a cunning fox on cunning day during a period of exemplary cunning however, as you already knew what it was 🤣

No, not at all. Somebody on Facebook just told me. I'd already worked out Yuan Bao and he filled in the blanks. Then i found one of ebay for $58 (although one sold for $0.99 plus post recently too!)

I think i'll keep it anyway. I don't own anything thats over a 1000 years old!

5 minutes ago, Arganto said:

I would wager that most don't. I wonder what it it was used for last before ending up stashed away...yours in great condition 👍🏻

I bought these from an auction. 7 for £20, but at worst £20 worth of fun and pretending to be Sherlock Holmes!

There were lots of quality coins from a collector and he had these too, so i'm assuming he knew what he was holding.