• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign stacking success

Stackem

I'm intrigued as to how much success the people of this forum have had in terms of consistently stacking particularly in terms of sovereigns. 

I've seen a lot of information that suggests (particularly in the UK) that stacking sovereigns is the preferred choice for bullion stackers.

So I guess I'm posting this to find out your experiences and success / to understand what setbacks you may have endured. And any tips and tricks to look out for along the way should one consider taking the sov route. 

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Cheers. 👍

Have had relative success in the short time I’ve been stacking. Need 3 more 22’s to complete the 22 tube and have also picked up a handful of Gillicks and other random years that were well priced relative to spot. This place has been great to get me started properly but have also bought bits from dealers and other places too. Biggest challenge is not getting diverted by other shiny stuff. Was buying randomly but have dialled in now to Sovs and 1oz/Qtr oz Brits predominantly. Good luck to you 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Have had relative success in the short time I’ve been stacking. Need 3 more 22’s to complete the 22 tube and have also picked up a handful of Gillicks and other random years that were well priced relative to spot. This place has been great to get me started properly but have also bought bits from dealers and other places too. Biggest challenge is not getting diverted by other shiny stuff. Was buying randomly but have dialled in now to Sovs and 1oz/Qtr oz Brits predominantly. Good luck to you 👍🏼

Nicee! Would love to see a pic of the 22 tube if you got chance, I too am easily diverted by shiny stuff 🤣👍 would you say this forum has been the best place for you sourcing the best price for your sovs? Thanks for the luck same to you buddy

1 minute ago, Stackem said:

Nicee! Would love to see a pic of the 22 tube if you got chance, I too am easily diverted by shiny stuff 🤣👍 would you say this forum has been the best place for you sourcing the best price for your sovs? Thanks for the luck same to you buddy

Will drop you a pic once I’ve filled it 👍🏼
Personally, I think the forum has been great for best prices but I would definitely recommend a silver membership as a minimum (haven’t looked to see if you have this already) as the best priced deals are snapped up super fast. Lots of shrewd buyers but as others far better than I at this have said, if it’s priced to sell, it’ll sell with ease on this forum, especially Sovs 

I started here buying silver Britannias and have a decent collection of proofs and others and then moved on to buying full and half sovereigns. Unfortunately I have been sidetracked and got some small gold bits and pieces, plus 1/10 gold Britannias. My problem is that I can’t seem to be patient and save for sovereigns! Now unfortunately I appear to be buying silver bars .. trying to get older ones. I still prefer sovereigns, and have a nice collection of full, half and quarters.

Before the boating problem I thought 1 Oz Britannia coins would be the way to stack gold so got into those. Had they not sunk I'd still be happy with them but after discovering bullion sovereigns shortly after I realised they was the way to go. They're easy to split out if you needed to (forbid the day) as they're fractional but still retain a similar if not better premium than the bigger Britannias. They also carry history of you buy old ones which is nice, and even cross into numismatic territory if you hold the older ones long enough. Unfortunately they all sank at the same time, Bully's Bullion & Bass tours are a riot of a laugh but the losses and difficult swimming are a right pain.

55 minutes ago, Arganto said:

Before the boating problem I thought 1 Oz Britannia coins would be the way to stack gold so got into those. Had they not sunk I'd still be happy with them but after discovering bullion sovereigns shortly after I realised they was the way to go. They're easy to split out if you needed to (forbid the day) as they're fractional but still retain a similar if not better premium than the bigger Britannias. They also carry history of you buy old ones which is nice, and even cross into numismatic territory if you hold the older ones long enough. Unfortunately they all sank at the same time, Bully's Bullion & Bass tours are a riot of a laugh but the losses and difficult swimming are a right pain.

Insert confused face 🤣

2 hours ago, Stackem said:

So I guess I'm posting this to find out your experiences and success / to understand what setbacks you may have endured. And any tips and tricks to look out for along the way should one consider taking the sov route. 

Buying bullion sovs at bullion prices is a pretty sensible sounding option in the UK. You often see 'bulk' lots of sovs selling on here within the hour. Due to buying at low premium (often 5% or less) there's less risk tied up in premiums compared to other options, generally more buyers compared to bars and other oddities. Some years the proof coins are particularly popular but some years don't seem to get as much interest. 

2 minutes ago, Arganto said:

I often have that affect on people, especially after a long weekend of limited sleep and a decent bottle of wine.

Basically sovereigns are good, boating trips can be hazardous.

I wouldn’t blame the boat personally, if the captain is on the wine!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 hours ago, Stackem said:

terms of consistently stacking particularly

To be specific as to your query, aside from  a bit of a gap in stacking gold, using the 'mainly modern at lowest premium but dipping into older examples (which are much nicer to behold) when possible' strategy served me well before the (apparently my fault) boating incident blew the whole thing to heck. Now I just keep old pennies from Victorian/early 20th century "arcades" instead of using them as intended and call myself a collector.

19 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Buying bullion sovs at bullion prices is a pretty sensible sounding option in the UK. You often see 'bulk' lots of sovs selling on here within the hour. Due to buying at low premium (often 5% or less) there's less risk tied up in premiums compared to other options, generally more buyers compared to bars and other oddities. Some years the proof coins are particularly popular but some years don't seem to get as much interest. 

Thanks for this great insight 👍

2 minutes ago, Arganto said:

To be specific as to your query, aside from  a bit of a gap in stacking gold, using the 'mainly modern at lowest premium but dipping into older examples (which are much nicer to behold) when possible' strategy served me well before the (apparently my fault) boating incident blew the whole thing to heck. Now I just keep old pennies from Victorian/early 20th century "arcades" instead of using them as intended and call myself a collector.

So you had a boat with your gold on and it sunk? Or is this a pun / innuendo, because that sounds terrible 🤔

1 minute ago, Stackem said:

So you had a boat with your gold on and it sunk? Or is this a pun / innuendo, because that sounds terrible 🤔

None of us here own any precious metals. Even those that might have a history of buying it... All been lost

Let's not derail @Stackem's thread, next we'll have Lawrence calling someone an SoB and Bully trying to get the poor boy to grow rhubarb.

OP, I would recommend stacking sovereigns but to be honest any recognisable gold bullion is better than none. It's a good idea to stick to what is made by the main mint/s of the country in which you reside...Generally speaking anyway.

5 minutes ago, Arganto said:

Let's not derail @Stackem's thread, next we'll have Lawrence calling someone an SoB and Bully trying to get the poor boy to grow rhubarb.

OP, I would recommend stacking sovereigns but to be honest any recognisable gold bullion is better than none. It's a good idea to stick to what is made by the main mint/s of the country in which you reside...Generally speaking anyway.

I would but iv lost it all somewhere on route 66

The only setback I've faced has been of my own making. My intentions were to buy a sovereign per month...but those sneaky dealers often offer better prices if you buy 2 sovereigns at the same time, so I would find myself holding out in order to get a better deal. Then I'd see there's an even better discount to buy 4 at the same time, leading me to a crisis of conscience - do I buy now to satisfy my greed for the shiny, or do I hold off until I save up enough to get the quantity discount....arg!!

I had zero interest in sovereigns.  and would always save up for a brit.  that lasted about three months till I got my first gillick.  

I would stack them all day long now. preferring the Victoria ones just as they were real money... . but I do love a gillick  

having said that my next purchase will be a ghastly 2022 bronze thing.  ugh....

The spread on sovs tends to be rather smaller than other 1/4oz coins - maybe 5-7% from a dealer or less if you buy lots.  However, if you get them here the spread is pretty much nonexistent.  Unless they are a key date they tend to go for about spot + £10-20 here and they're very liquid.  Just in the last few weeks I've seen folks rock up with as many as 50 or 100 sovs and flog them all within a few days.

I started down the silver route, but I'm dialling silver back to the odd collectibles that might appreciate in value.  I'm not sure if I'll be buying much if any bullion silver in the future, although I might get the odd tube of Brits or some such if they come up at right confluence of price and spare cash.  I do think I might collect a bit of stuff for the birth dates of the spawn, but this will be a bit of a sideline.

My basic stacking approach is to get at least one sovereign per month, plus whatever is going at the right price - maybe some 1oz or other coins, again if available at the right price. I've got in mind a figure of 100g/year or thereabouts, and I expect sovs will be doing the heavy lifting.  I think the way to do it here is to buy the odd cheeky sov or two if some come up for sale, and get stuff from dealers at the end of the month or quarter if you've not blown it on shiny stuff here.

On the Indonesian side, P.T. Antam bars are pretty much where it's at, so we will be accumulating some gold there as well.  However, this gets you rogered for 11% VAT there (although this may change) so it's not such good value.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.