• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with a project, understanding coinage laws

Bigmarc

Hello, I am working on a project for next year to do with engraving on an existing product. Years ago I had been asked to remove items as I was making plaques of military insignia's and any medals the individual had earned, turns out those designs belong to the crown and they want paying for it. 

So just a couple of questions to help me on my way, cheers. 

Coinage act, does a silver Britannia come under this bracket? If something like this was done on an existing coin then sold on, what are the legalities?

Screenshot_20220929-181314-041.png.7b39c9db8f275f6070a6f0cc5c4fc564.png

Over the years there has been plenty of jewelry available made from coins and wondered of the legality of it as it defaces the coin. 

Bars with the queen's head on. If I was to engrave part of a bar with the queen's head on, would this be allowed? 

I think I already know if I was to engrave a box with the Brit design on this would not be allowed but the Brit itself after purchase is a mystery.

Edited by Bigmarc

7 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Hello, I am working on a project for next year to do with engraving on an existing product. Years ago I had a telling off from the crown for making plaques of military insignia's and any medals the individual had earned, turns out those designs belong to the crown and they want paying for it. 

So just a couple of questions to help me on my way, cheers. 

Coinage act, does a silver Britannia come under this bracket? If something like this was done on an existing coin then sold on, what are the legalities?

Screenshot_20220929-181314-041.png.7b39c9db8f275f6070a6f0cc5c4fc564.png

Over the years there has been plenty of jewelry available made from coins and wondered of the legality of it as it defaces the coin. 

Bars with the queen's head on. If I was to engrave part of a bar with the queen's head on, would this be allowed? 

I think I already know if I was to engrave a box with the Brit design on this would not be allowed but the Brit itself after purchase is a mystery.

If you can get yourself a transfer to Kirkham open prison, I would be happy to come and visit you to explain where you went wrong.

😎

Chards

On 30/09/2022 at 19:38, Norskgeld said:

These are freely available. Doesn't seem much different to me.

Brexit Britannia 1 Oz Silver Coin 2£ Pounds United Kingdom 2017

As are thousands of fake / imitation coins on AliExpress, ebay, and elsewhere.

Doesn't make it legal though!

😎

On 01/10/2022 at 10:50, Bigmarc said:

What I am trying to say is, if I get a bar from the royal mint and engrave a design or a message on it, then sell it on as at a profit. Is there any law against it? 

Screenshot_20221001-104803-603.png.1b500259de3c1d2c920acd0d684bdc81.png

Bar? No!

Coin? Yes!

😎

Chards

I went to Wookey Hole the other day (a very schizophrenic site but worth a look) and they had a penny press machine. There was a sign on it addressing the legality of pressing/defacing coins, which was at one point illegal but the illegal status was repealed by further legislation (counterfeit laws of one type or another). I have posted this before looking it up, so may be wrong, but it seems to me that what @Bigmarcis suggesting should be fine...