• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Liquidity on forums - 1x double sov vs. 2x sov

Silverlocks

I've seen a few double sovereigns come up here, and they seem to be rather more of a niche item than sovereigns.  OTOH, sovereigns change hands here by the truckload and sovs that turn up here tend to go pretty quickly.  I'd like to get some sense of how folks view double sovereigns for PM stacking.  This one for those of a hoovering persuasion, or anybody in the habit of buying sovs here or on other forums: 

• Are you after double sovereigns - how interesting are they to you? 
  • Are they significantly harder to sell than sovereigns (and thus less liquid)?
  • Would you buy a double sovereign in preference to two sovereigns, or vice versa?  Under what circumstances? Why?
  • What if someone was flogging a whole load of double sovereigns - would that be an attractive opportunity at a decent price?

Feel free to pontificate or venture other opinions about sovs if they seem relevant.  Note that I'm talking about bullion sovs here, rather than special years or proof coins.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Will assume your talking bullion. 

Doubles do not come up that often on the forum or on FB groups, but no issues with picking them up if the price is right.  Currently only have 2022 doubles in bullion, both loose and in blisters.  Never tried to sell one as yet but I cannot see it being an issue, bundles of sovereigns sell well enough.  A lot of people on this forum particularly use capsules and tubes for storage so may avoid doubles just because they will not fit in their chosen storage and/or they would not have the capsules and tubes to fit them.  Pricing has been very different this year because of it being a special reverse year and for most of it the cheapest sovereign available was the 2022, I think it has muted a lot of forum selling and pegged prices quite well, same applies to the doubles and half's.  Right now I would be unlikely to pay any more for a previous year double than I could get a 2022 for, it would make no sense to, but I will happily pay more for a Victoria Young Head, especially shield backs, or for special years or rare years than I would for a 2022 sovereign. 

16 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Will assume your talking bullion. 

[ . . . ]

Yes, I'm talking bullion, not proofs or special years.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

The 2022 double sovereigns might be ok but the standard years are not.

They typically cost about £50 over spot but people only want to pay £10-20 over spot at best when you want to sell.

You'll only be able to sell one at a time unless you are happy to off load them at spot.

I tried selling my 2021 a few months back and just got a PM offer for spot + £10 so I kept it.

Yes, it feels like the going rate for sovs here is about spot + £10 or so - a bit more for historic ones or special years.

For liquidity and ease of resale I would always choose to stack single sovereigns over doubles.

However, I really like the double sovereign as a coin to hold and own.  In future I am more likely to collect bullion doubles than I am to collect bullion sovereigns, but as a stack, I'd be going for the normal sovereigns.

The only exception to this might be the 2022 special reverse, and particularly because the UK has 'double sovereigns' in 2022.  I have added two to the stack, but these are just for selling if/when the gold price makes it worthwhile and I would treat them in the same way as other 2022 bullion sovereigns.

Basically - in my opinion you won't go wrong with the 2022 double sovereigns if you can pick them up for similar premiums to the 2022 sovereigns, like in the recent deal from Chards.