• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Charles Silver "Coins" Medals / Medallions from his 1969 Investiture Year by John Pinches

LawrenceChard

Prince Charles "Coins" Medals / Medallions from his 1969 Investiture Year by John Pinches

While most of us are probably waiting to discover what the new King Charles III portrait will look like, I recently saw this set of 4 silver medals by John Pinches.

I instantly took a liking to the set. The toning may have contributed, but I also liked the portrait, and the reverse designs. Depth of relief also help to make medals more attractive than coins.

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsObverseSetCROP.thumb.jpg.12b2333c265576c4f3ed2e82bdf277dc.jpg

While the obverses only differ in size, each reverse has a different motif:

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetCROP.thumb.jpg.b86d120a93352794560e4995899c515a.jpg

The reverses of the largest and third largest medals are inscribed:

INVESTITURE CAERNAVON

JULY 1969

The other two medals are Welsh versions, and are inscribed:

ARWISGIAD CAERNARVON

CORFFENNAF 1969

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetBoxSetCROP.thumb.jpg.e351c3afe2dee6e5779e60efb6aa0b2d.jpg

The complete boxed set.

Strangely, the certificate states these to be "coins" rather than medals, but does go on to explain that they were made in the approximate sizes of shilling, florin, halfcrown, and crown sized coins. They do indeed all look rather like coins, which is possibly part of their attraction.

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetCERTSCROP.thumb.jpg.2a7ed857c9ce0f9f38652a06aae2d2bd.jpg

Lastly, the certificate states they were made in Britannia silver.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

The best looking coin with Prince Charles portrait (young head) is on this coin: 10 dollars 1978 Bahamas. 

The best picture from entire internet I could download is from Chard's website, of course.🤗

1973156852_R(1).thumb.jpeg.5fed9ade865963aa9f290e024cb2f0af.jpeg

Where else?

It helps that he was younger then, and quite good looking like me!

😎

Chards

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Prince Charles "Coins" Medals / Medallions from his 1969 Investiture Year by John Pinches

While most of us are probably waiting to discover what the new King Charles III portrait will look like, I recently saw this set of 4 silver medals by John Pinches.

I instantly took a liking to the set. The toning may have contributed, but I also liked the portrait, and the reverse designs. Depth of relief also help to make medals more attractive than coins.

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsObverseSetCROP.thumb.jpg.12b2333c265576c4f3ed2e82bdf277dc.jpg

While the obverses only differ in size, each reverse has a different motif:

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetCROP.thumb.jpg.b86d120a93352794560e4995899c515a.jpg

The reverses of the largest and third largest medals are inscribed:

INVESTITURE CAERNAVON

JULY 1969

The other two medals are Welsh versions, and are inscribed:

ARWISGIAD CAERNARVON

CORFFENNAF 1969

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetBoxSetCROP.thumb.jpg.e351c3afe2dee6e5779e60efb6aa0b2d.jpg

The complete boxed set.

Strangely, the certificate states these to be "coins" rather than medals, but does go on to explain that they were made in the approximate sizes of shilling, florin, halfcrown, and crown sized coins. They do indeed all look rather like coins, which is possibly part of their attraction.

1969SilverProofInvestitureofPrinceCharlesMedallionWithBoxJohnPinches4CoinsReverseSetCERTSCROP.thumb.jpg.2a7ed857c9ce0f9f38652a06aae2d2bd.jpg

Lastly, the certificate states they were made in Britannia silver.

😎

i like the reverse more than the obverse....😅