• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How Best to Remove the Toning / Tarnish on this 1897 Queen Victoria Medallion?

First though, what's it made of?

It's not gold, but is it silver, copper, or bronze?

1897BronzeVictoriaDiamondJubileeMedallionWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintObverseCROP.thumb.jpg.19a8214beae1fa610b28261cefc77ed1.jpg

Old Head above, and...

1897BronzeVictoriaDiamondJubileeMedallionWithBoxUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintReverseCROP.thumb.jpg.b07a11e4e99801483087171883c37998.jpg

1837 Young Head Portrait

Do you think we should clean it, and if so, how?

😎

Chards

If it’s not gold, then it’s either a silver version or a bronze version, I would guess it’s bronze. Either way I wouldn’t clean it, although there are ways of cleaning bronze without removing the patina.🤔🤔

That looks awesome! It looks like it has the rainbow tone and dark tarnish I've seen on other Sterling coins but the reddish flecks make me think it could well be bronze. 

Personally I wouldn't clean it.

*The fact that you've posted in non-precious metals indicates something 🤔😁

🌞

Edited by Arganto

13 minutes ago, Arganto said:

That looks awesome! It looks like it has the rainbow tone and dark tarnish I've seen on other Sterling coins but the reddish flecks make me think it could well be bronze. 

🌞

Well spoken!

At first look, it could indeed be silver, but is bronze.

Very observant of you to spot the clue.

And good advice about cleaning. There is no way I would clean that. It has taken over a century to acquire that beautiful toning, but I suspect some people would!

😎

23 minutes ago, Petra said:

If it’s not gold, then it’s either a silver version or a bronze version, I would guess it’s bronze. Either way I wouldn’t clean it, although there are ways of cleaning bronze without removing the patina.🤔🤔

It is bronze.

There is no way I would clean that. It has taken over a century to acquire that beautiful toning, but I suspect some people would!

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you are new to coin collecting, then I would advice you don't clean the medallion. 

You might like to have a read of some online material before cleaning tarnished coins and medals. 😬

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/coin-toning/232

😎

7 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Very lovely, i would think it's silver to have such beautiful toning, if you didn't mention.

Indeed, when I first saw it, I was trying to work out was it silver, or was it bronze.

It must have taken a good minute work check it out for sure.

It is quite rare to confuse the two!

😎

Chards

5 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

If you are new to coin collecting, then I would advice you don't clean the medallion. 

You might like to have a read of some online material before cleaning tarnished coins and medals. 😬

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/coin-toning/232

😎

Of course, I am not quite new to coins, but that article should indeed be helpful for anybody who is new, thinking of cleaning a coin, or removing tarnish.

Thanks for adding the link!

😎

Chards

On 28/09/2022 at 12:42, LawrenceChard said:

Old Head above, and...

1837 Young Head Portrait

Do you think we should clean it, and if so, how?

😎

On 28/09/2022 at 12:52, Petra said:

On 28/09/2022 at 13:00, Arganto said:

🌞

On 28/09/2022 at 13:16, LawrenceChard said:

Well spoken!

At first look, it could indeed be silver, but is bronze.

Very observant of you to spot the clue.

And good advice about cleaning. There is no way I would clean that. It has taken over a century to acquire that beautiful toning, but I suspect some people would!

😎

It is bronze.

There is no way I would clean that. It has taken over a century to acquire that beautiful toning, but I suspect some people would!

😎

On 28/09/2022 at 19:57, LawrenceChard said:

Probably.

I think we also have some silver ones.

On 29/09/2022 at 01:00, Bruce06 said:

Very lovely, i would think it's silver to have such beautiful toning, if you didn't mention.

On 29/09/2022 at 08:17, LawrenceChard said:

Indeed, when I first saw it, I was trying to work out was it silver, or was it bronze.

It must have taken a good minute work check it out for sure.

It is quite rare to confuse the two!

😎

An update and correction!

It is ironic that I just posted a new topic

Because, having debated with myself about whether this medal was bronze or silver, I was in our showroom yesterday when its owner called in. We were discussing his medal, and the fact that it looked very much like silver rather than bronze, when he informed me that it was silver.

The only sensible thing was to Niton XRF test it, to be certain. Sure enough, it is silver, as can be seen:

666902343_1897medallionNitonscan.thumb.jpg.d8b826c1283257f1eff4f876bafe185c.jpg

The results were slightly quirky, but are clear enough to who that it is silver, rather than bronze.

So, now it looks like I have lost the ability to distinguish silver from copper or bronze.

What next?

As this has caused me to doubt some things which I was previously certain about, I think I should take a break and listen to some music, while I clear my mind.

Perhaps something simple like "Lola" by The Kinks:

That should  clear up any doubts and confusion!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards