• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Was it wrong to clean these coins?

artalien

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

Is there a ‘before’ picture?

Sorry no before picture. I cleaned them so I could play with them, they actually stank of old damp storage. I know it is a no no to clean coins but I am not sure I understand why that is. These look like they just came from the mint. 

No great value in monetary terms but I love them.

1 minute ago, artalien said:

Sorry no before picture. I cleaned them so I could play with them, they actually stank of old damp storage. I know it is a no no to clean coins but I am not sure I understand why that is. These look like they just came from the mint. 

There would have been other ways to have sorted that problem. If you look at coin sales you will see that usually a ‘cleaned’ coin goes for less. If you are just a stacker, then it’s irrelevant either way.

Personally, i think that if you have a coin of numismatic value, then i wouldn't clean it.

However i have a number of half crowns which are far from valuable or rare and i prefer them to look a little cleaner in my collection. I wouldn't try to get them looking as new because the wear wouldn't make sense.

And don't ever clean a proof..........ever........just don't...........it'll end in tears! 😂

Water and fairy liquid and light pressure with your fingers won't have done much, if any, damage to them.

The coins you have aren't rare.

They look nicer now.

So all in all - I think you've done a good job, and the results are pleasing!

Enjoy them for as long as you have them.

23 minutes ago, artalien said:

HI Lawrence. I let them soak in water with some fairy liquid them rubbbed them between my naked fingers (repeat till satisfied).

The first part of that was OK, but it is best to avoid all friction. An old soft toothbrush would have been better.

Dab dry rather than rubbing.

I hope the word "naked" doesn't get some of the TSF members over-excited!

😎

Chards

16 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Enjoy them for as long as you have them.

Thanks Stuntman, it's all about having some fun and maybe saving some wealth for my approaching old age 😃

10 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

There's always @GoldDiggerDave's patented Secret Method.... 🤔

sparks.gif.6307f710a1f071b6b505e3da93ce9f69.gif

Ha ha ha

15 minutes ago, artalien said:

I have another question and while I have the attention of the forum's shinning lights I'd best ask it: Are there any gold of silver coins that feature philosophers or philosophy (quotes etc)?

If you're restricting the selection to UK coins - the nearest ideas I can think of would be things like the King James Bible £2 (I know...), the Robert Burns £2 coin (I know...) - and maybe that 'Diversity built Britain' 50p... 😄

6 hours ago, artalien said:

did you enjoy playing with them 😉 how did it feel.

they aint rare and if it makes you happy who cares.

1 hour ago, artalien said:

I got a question but don't want to start a new topic and mess up the nice tidy forum ( more than I have already) so here seems as good a place as any: What constitutes a scrap coin?

I'd define it as any coin where there is no value above that of its metal content. Could be either because it is a worn/damaged and/or common and/or not desirable.

The likes of your predecimal coins there for example I would say are basically scrap, being very common coins and not in UNC condition, so can be readily picked up for the price of their metal content (spot). 

So in my eyes it's not about the condition so much as the value. 

So even unhandled proof coins could be considered scrap IMO, e.g. some sterling silver proof commemorative medals, immaculate condition in boxes, with COA. Try selling them above spot...! If they don't sell above spot, they must be scrap, right? 

Edited by arphethean

27 minutes ago, arphethean said:

I'd define it as any coin where there is no value above that of its metal content.

That's an interesting way of looking at it arphethean. I can definitely follow your line of reasoning, never mind the condition, what's the price, lends a very subjective area a touch of objectivity.