• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best 1oz Silver Coin to kick start a stack!

Hello all,

I’ve just come back from the pub where I met my brother for a couple of pints 🍻 

During one of our conversations we spoke about what to get each other for Christmas 🎁 

My brother currently doesn’t own ANY silver 😮 So I said how about I get you your first 1oz Silver coin. He agreed this was a great idea and in fact we both agreed, that going forward for Christmas AND birthdays we should get each other a 1oz silver coin 🪙 

I would like to use this opportunity to get my brother hooked on the shiny stuff, so now please help me decide the best 1oz coin that I should get him to get him excited about stacking silver! 

My first thought is a trusty Britannia or an ASE but are these exciting enough??! 

You cannot go wrong with Brits. being capital gains tax free.... It will plant the seed... But dont buy too many - they are mine mwhahahahahhah!

giphy.gif 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Well if it's going to be a different coin every Christmas then go mad, maybe something from Germania mint perhaps, or maybe a different bullion to Brit or ASE.

Libertad is a nice coin, Kookaburra are cool and different every year. Krugerrand or Maple perhaps....or a Perth Mint dragon bar coin.... actually that would be my choice now I think about it. 

At risk of sounding like a stuck record record record the Perth Mint Tiger is bellissimo. It's their Chinese lunar year animal mallarky so a different critter every year which adds interest. If you want I can pretend to be your long lost brother and you can stick one in my stocking. I'm kind and considerate like that!

43 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

The 2 OZ Completer is the nicest bullion coin IMO. One of the best designs ever and i just love those 2 OZ chuncy coins. But if you really love him, get him a proof Una😇

cant fault you on this recommendation - 2oz are lovely - the completer does indeed tick every box 

You asked for 1oz choices, I'd go for either an American eagle or @Dakaras suggestion of 1oz dragon bar.

But if it was my brother "he'd get a piece of coal" 🤣 on a serious note I'd go for the 2oz completer or a 2oz stacker from the Korean mint.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Best or cheapest ?

Best has to be a silver coin that departed the mint in a capsule so definitely leaning towards an Australian Perth Mint or RAM coin or maybe a Chinese Panda.
With these coins you are going to get something to treasure and be pleased to own.

Next best probably an American Eagle or Mexican Libertad.
These are silky finish and tend to be excellent quality.

Modern Maples are pretty good as well but the earlier Maples are kind of boring looking and lots tend to have not only milk spots but milk stains.

Austrian Philharmonics look extremely shiny and most are very good quality but personally I don't like their smooth, rather than reeded, edge

Britannias - a high percentage of brand new coins will have marks, scuffs or milk spots due to mass production and lack of / or simply don't give a sh!t QC, but pre 2013 Britannias are generally admirable coins and maybe you can find one that has a memorable year of significance.

Once or twice a year and and for a person who doesn't own silver... This is a rare scenario where I'd recommend a so-called "semi-numismatic" coin or round; get one themed around something he likes and it's a double whammy gift. Another option would be a poured/cast item from one of the silversmiths that frequent the forum. These are often hallmarked. 

When he finds out that what you've bought him is nearly twice the price of regular bullion it may encourage him to get into stacking the cheaper stuff, it'll seem like a bargain!

12 hours ago, James32 said:

But if it was my brother "he'd get a piece of coal"

Im stacking coal shares at the mo and doing quite nicely, have you seen the price of coal in the energy crisis? Its no brainer.... winter is coming!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

One not mentioned so far that I think is worth recommending would be the Royal Arms coin.  Get a 2022-dated one of those.

Then, add an example of each of the well-known 1 oz bullion coins from around the world.  My list would include:

Britannia

Krugerrand

American Eagle

Maple

Kangaroo

Somalian Elephant

Niue Turtle

That would be a really nice 'world silver stack'.  Then, and only then, get into the more premium stuff.  

On 24/09/2022 at 11:26, MetalMandible said:

Perhaps a hot take, but why not secure a nice 1oz round that you believe fits his personal interests/preferences?  

good call. engelhard prospector