• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Sovereign design - What say you?

westminstrel

What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?

• St. George and the Dragon
    • Special one-off design

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/22 at 02:38

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

May we ask what the "personal reasons of principle" are?

😎

Coin will be too large to store due to the ear factor! And no one can afford 1kg sov

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

7 hours ago, Petra said:

Not an issue, they have used a photograph 🫢

I believe Jody Clark too used photographs for QE II’s 5th effigy and there was never an actual “sit down” (if that’s what you were imagining).

Here’s an excerpt from the Royal Mint website:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/the-coinage-portraits-of-her-majesty-the-queen--the-artists-stories/

“Everyone who entered the competition was supplied with the same reference material, showing The Queen facing different ways and in a number of different angles. I also did quite a lot of research online to find more natural, unposed images of her. I looked at the designs of the previous effigies and I wanted my design to work as part of that set as well as to work on its own.”

Jody Clark

Edited by westminstrel

Ian Rank-Broadley too did his 4th effigy based on photographs:

Raphael Maklouf and Arnold Machin however managed to get sittings with the Queen for the 3rd and 2nd effigies respectively.

I’m seeing that Mary Gillick too did NOT get a sitting with the Queen but based her effigy on a photograph.

Long story short… it’s not surprising if we were to find out that KC III’s portrait was likely done based on photographs.

I still think the Broadley portrait is the most accurate portrait of the Queen there was. Not my favourite by any stretch.

In the same way the Thomas Brock, Joseph Boehm and the Leonard Wyon portraits (old, jubilee and bronze bun head) were the most accurate Victoria depictions.

The new Charles one is very accurate.

Charles should be given the chance to prove himself. After all, he has a hard act to follow. I believe he will modernise the monarchy preferably by slimming it down and getting rid of hangers on!  He could also exile Andrew to the U.A.E.! 😉As for the Clergy, remind the Public about the misdemeanours of religious leaders, particularly the Catholic Church, and their abusive behaviour over the past decades. All right with you Bishop?!!….

We now have a monarch who, as heir, chose to be self-serving in his personal life, engaged in questionable dealings when taking money for his causes, and decided to interfere repeatedly in politics and side with entities such as the WEF, in a way that members of a constitutional monarchy never should. If Charles stays on I fear it may spell the end of the monarchy within the next few years.

On 01/10/2022 at 19:25, Stuntman said:

I think that King Charles understands the role and obligations of being the monarch as opposed to the heir apparent, and I think he will do just fine.

Time will tell, of course.

👇

Sunday-Times.thumb.jpg.f077003584f63c082c98d13332bc6c9c.jpg

Edited by EdwardTeach

So given that the coins released today are supposed to be shipped around end January, what are we expecting will happen for the 2023 Sovereign?

Will the 2023 Sovereign be released in November as usual, but shipped out only AFTER today’s coins are shipped out (meaning sometime in February)?

And what about mintages… do we think the RM may take the “unlimited for X weeks” approach for the smaller denominations like Full, Half and Quarter Sovereign, but still have mintage limits as usual on the sets including the Double and Five Sovereign?

On 02/10/2022 at 19:35, EdwardTeach said:

👇

Sunday-Times.thumb.jpg.f077003584f63c082c98d13332bc6c9c.jpg

If Charles were to make an apolitical speech on his favourite subject Climate Control, why does he have to be ‘gagged’? It’s way of introducing himself to the world. He’s probably more knowledgable than most on the subject. The world needs all the constructive suggestions it can get, before it descends into a the cesspit of pollution and rubbish. Under the cloak of interference are the politicians afraid he might say something useful or perhaps embarrassing? Maybe, but at least he would have tried…. 

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

If Charles were to make an apolitical speech on his favourite subject Climate Control, why does he have to be ‘gagged’? It’s way of introducing himself to the world. He’s probably more knowledgable than most on the subject. The world needs all the constructive suggestions it can get, before it descends into a the cesspit of pollution and rubbish. Under the cloak of interference are the politicians afraid he might say something useful or perhaps embarrassing? Maybe, but at least he would have tried…. 

I'm not sure if it is that exactly (which it may well be), or whether it's Theresa2 attempting to show she's in control.

When most new PMs come into office, the news is all about them and their agenda but Liz didn't get that.

Both she and Charles started out on the same week. I can't help but think he's had his debut and set his reign off on a good start. Liz was totally overshadowed, maybe she feels she has to present her message to the world and not let the monarchy do it for her?

I have to say at the Queen's funeral when I saw Keir Starmer walking in Westminster Abbey, I thought where's the PM, where's Boris?

53 minutes ago, SidS said:

I'm not sure if it is that exactly (which it may well be), or whether it's Theresa2 attempting to show she's in control.

When most new PMs come into office, the news is all about them and their agenda but Liz didn't get that.

Both she and Charles started out on the same week. I can't help but think he's had his debut and set his reign off on a good start. Liz was totally overshadowed, maybe she feels she has to present her message to the world and not let the monarchy do it for her?

I have to say at the Queen's funeral when I saw Keir Starmer walking in Westminster Abbey, I thought where's the PM, where's Boris?

Good point!  I hadn't considered that.