• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Sovereign design - What say you?

westminstrel

What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?

• St. George and the Dragon
    • Special one-off design

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/22 at 02:38

As this country is by and large a circus run by clowns, I see potential for RM to milk this... sorry, I mean realise the potential!

For the full Sov, a nice big top.

Half Sov a clown.

Quarter Sov a clowns squirty water flowery thing.

Double Sov some lions.

Quintuple Sov - Clown Central itself, Westminster

:)

3 minutes ago, matt1r said:

Perhaps have 2 portraits like the 2015 sovereign? Continue using Elizabeth until the Charles portrait is ready

I don't think there would be any real need for two versions in 2023.  The RM can continue churning out 2022 bullion sovereigns (as they seem to be selling well) even into 2023 if necessary.  I'm hoping the only proof sovereign will feature King Charles III even if it is delayed a little (proofs are normally released in November).

23 minutes ago, matt1r said:

Perhaps have 2 portraits like the 2015 sovereign? Continue using Elizabeth until the Charles portrait is ready

15 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I don't think there would be any real need for two versions in 2023.  The RM can continue churning out 2022 bullion sovereigns (as they seem to be selling well) even into 2023 if necessary.  I'm hoping the only proof sovereign will feature King Charles III even if it is delayed a little (proofs are normally released in November).

I agree. Releasing two portraits would  just be in bad taste IMO.

8 hours ago, matt1r said:

Got it!

A lovely 2023 with QEII on, with a special obverse of the QEII ocean liner.

Then as a Brucie Bonus a Charlie's Head sticker and some other random Charlie related sticker to clag on at a later date.

I think RM Product Development needs to hire me like now.

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Got it!

A lovely 2023 with QEII on, with a special obverse of the QEII ocean liner.

Then as a Brucie Bonus a Charlie's Head sticker and some other random Charlie related sticker to clag on at a later date.

I think RM Product Development needs to hire me like now.

Nice idea, but there is no ocean liner named after our late Queen!  The QE2, now a floating hotel in Dubai, was the 2nd ship named after the Queen Mother. The Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth were named after the Consorts of King George V, and King George VI. Only the Queen Victoria is named after a real Queen…. However, In 2024 the Queen Anne (1702-1714) will be launched, 😀🚢

On 20/09/2022 at 21:27, Petra said:

It’s not really about how quick the RM can get any coin out, they can’t get the Charles coins out until his portrait has been done and then approved by the various people and then Charles.

I am pretty sure they have a lot of Charles portraits available, a hell lot. I don't expect much delays in the transition from QEII to ChIII.

21 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Nice idea, but there is no ocean liner named after our late Queen!  The QE2, now a floating hotel in Dubai, was the 2nd ship named after the Queen Mother. The Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth were named after the Consorts of King George V, and King George VI. Only the Queen Victoria is named after a real Queen…. However, In 2024 the Queen Anne (1702-1714) will be launched, 😀🚢

😄 Looks like I did an Alan Davies on QI.

Still, why would accuracy be of importance at the mint...

49 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

Just voted for St. George and the Dragon.

I can imagine (and I would love it) that they make a one-off obverse, for the coronation year only.

I’m loving seeing everyone’s differing perspectives and opinions. It’s what makes these discussions and speculations fun. 😀

I had voted for classic St. George and the Dragon but I’m back on the fence now thanks to you lot!!!

2 hours ago, xthomasx said:

I am pretty sure they have a lot of Charles portraits available, a hell lot. I don't expect much delays in the transition from QEII to ChIII.

They don’t just pick one off the shelf🫢😁 One has to be specifically done and it’s not the sort of thing they do whilst previous sovereign is still alive🤔😁

48 minutes ago, DeepSpace said:

Well I'm already logged in at the Royal Mint and waiting in the queue for the new Charles III proofs. 😆 Not that it matters, their website is gonna crash harder than the Challenger when they do finally go on sale.

On 21/09/2022 at 05:27, Petra said:

It’s not really about how quick the RM can get any coin out, they can’t get the Charles coins out until his portrait has been done and then approved by the various people and then Charles.

Well there you go… as @LawrenceChard and I were saying, this was never going to be an issue.

https://www.royalmint.com/stories/collect/his-majesty-the-kings-official-coinage-portrait/

Edited by westminstrel

What CHARLES and not CAROLVS?

Standards are slipping, it'll all be in English next, then text-speak.

WILL 5TH BY GOD E'S KING INNIT.

The portrait is quite good actually, glad to see the severed head theme continues.

50 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Would be nice with the reverse of the new 50p…

image.thumb.jpeg.b271c6d5edb3682ecca31ad3efdbb883.jpeg

not keen on the £5 Crown though… 🤔

That's the design they used on the crown for the Queens coronation though, so probably not likely they'll use that.

Now they have Charles effigy ready it must be a certainty that the 2023 will be a special reverse, I just pray they don't privy pimp it with Charles royal cypher and do something really special instead.

2 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

That's the design they used on the crown for the Queens coronation though, so probably not likely they'll use that.

Now they have Charles effigy ready it must be a certainty that the 2023 will be a special reverse, I just pray they don't privy pimp it with Charles royal cypher and do something really special instead.

I would be happy with St George and the Dragon on the reverse on the 2023 sovereign.  I think the new effigy is enough to make it "special".

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Well there you go… as @LawrenceChard and I were saying, this was never going to be an issue.

https://www.royalmint.com/stories/collect/his-majesty-the-kings-official-coinage-portrait/

Sure, but I also said we are unlikely to see any new coins with King Charles portrait dated 2022, and that his first coins would be dated 2023.

I now have two theories about this decision to strike 2022 dated King Charles II coins:

1) The RM are very keen to cash in in high premium commemorative coins sales while the market is buoyant, and before everyone gets their new higher fuel bills, and mortgage costs.

2) The RM have done this deliberately to make me look stupid, ignorant, and wrong.

In which case:

3) The 2023 gold sovereigns will still be copper red not golden yellow.

😎

Chards

On 20/09/2022 at 08:37, westminstrel said:

It is likely the 2023 Sovereign will be the first with King Charles III obverse.

So the simple question here, just as a  fun discussion, is what reverse design would you like to see?

As it will already be a new design because of Charles' portrait and titles, it would probably be best to retain something familiar and traditional for the reverse.

If the RM wish to vary anything, it could be a new version of St. George and the Dragon. Perhaps they could be hugging each other, or both hugging a tree.

Of course, they could revert to using yellow gold instead of copper colour, but I fear that Anne Jessop is not listening. Perhaps we should send her a hearing aid?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards