• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£1225 Gold oz

Abyss

Apologies for the clickbait subject title. Been looking at the Gold price in US dollars thinking seems very attractive to pull the trigger and add to my stack but when looking at the price from various UK bullion dealers still seems to be hovering £1500 mark despite significant US dollar price reductions.

The reason behind this is the devaluation GBP and strengthening USD. Back in September 2021 single USD purchased 0.7282 GBP and now purchases 0.8753 GBP.

If the GBP retained its September 2021 value against the USD the price per oz Gold in GBP would now be £1225.

AEA49697-E8E4-4009-915F-1060AAC8EE38.thumb.jpeg.94ed8ccc5f0868cf5f4bf0c941779bc4.jpeg

Even though purchasing Gold while looking at the USD price seems attractive but earning and holding in GBP adds an exchange rate element need to factor in.

Best scenario buying Gold has always been a sustained period of falling Gold price in USD and increase in GBP exchange rate vs USD. Will this ever happen again in concurrent who knows. 

I've been thinking very much the same thing recently.  

If the pound strengthens against the dollar I will probably invest more units into a Gold ETF (I know...) because I'm happy enough with the amount of physical that I currently hold.  But that may change, and if so, I will buy bullion sovereigns just as a stack.

If the spot price of gold in USD doesn't increase correspondingly when and if the pound strengthens, I see it as a definite strong buying opportunity.

Back in February I took advantage of the  strengthening  of the euro vs usd and bought a 50g for 2600E including delivery (spot was ~ 1800usd), now with spot at 1675usd and euro in decline the same bar is 2737E without delivery 😪

Edited by daca

God has gone down when priced in USD but has roughly maintained its price in GBP because the GBP has weakened against the dollar.
So essentially it's weakness in the gold price, mainly offset by the weakness in the GBP versus the USD if buying / selling in GBP.

I don't think the pound will weaken much, if any, further against the  dollar so the gold price now needs to go up significantly to increase its value in GBP.

Otherwise the price in GBP will reduce when the pound strengthens against the dollar, which was the OP's original point.

I agree with them!

6 hours ago, Abyss said:

Apologies for the clickbait subject title. Been looking at the Gold price in US dollars thinking seems very attractive to pull the trigger and add to my stack but when looking at the price from various UK bullion dealers still seems to be hovering £1500 mark despite significant US dollar price reductions.

The reason behind this is the devaluation GBP and strengthening USD. Back in September 2021 single USD purchased 0.7282 GBP and now purchases 0.8753 GBP.

If the GBP retained its September 2021 value against the USD the price per oz Gold in GBP would now be £1225.

Even though purchasing Gold while looking at the USD price seems attractive but earning and holding in GBP adds an exchange rate element need to factor in.

Best scenario buying Gold has always been a sustained period of falling Gold price in USD and increase in GBP exchange rate vs USD. Will this ever happen again in concurrent who knows. 

No need to apologies for the "clickbait".

It does make a good and valid point.

😎

Chards