• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is the value and rarity of the 1989 half sovereign?

SovereignBishop

11 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

I would love one of these, but can only find them for a significant price of £700 plus.

With 10,000 minted, I believe.

So, does anyone have these ? Whats the real market price? Are they a worthy investment?

Basically they were ignored partially when they first came out, then as the years passed became sought-after. 

In my humble opinion its the nicest design, and £700 seems about right, seen full sovereigns go for £1500 recently and doubles for £2k+ so it seems the full sov is the most coveted out of normal sizes. 

It's one of those coins that due to being held tight by collectors, the can name their price ( within reason obviously)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

37 minutes ago, James32 said:

In my humble opinion its the nicest design, and £700 seems about right, seen full sovereigns go for £1500 recently and doubles for £2k+ so it seems the full sov is the most coveted out of normal sizes. 

You can pick up a graded double for the same price as a raw full a lot of the time if you ignore PF70's, were I looking to buy I would target a PF68 or 69 double with original box and COA and jailbreak it - seen these go around £1400-£1450.

For PF70 though @James32 is on the money

Edited by Orpster

2 hours ago, SovereignBishop said:

I would love one of these, but can only find them for a significant price of £700 plus.

With 10,000 minted, I believe.

So, does anyone have these ? Whats the real market price? Are they a worthy investment?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265878971023?hash=item3de79f228f%3Ag%3ALfsAAOSwv4xjHJEf&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5337383333&customid=901&toolid=10049

this come up on a search ( no its not mine )

14 hours ago, bluffer said:

I think he was flooded already by offers...😁

8 hours ago, kimchi said:

A stunning coin. However (and I could very well be wrong) I wouldn't myself at these prices...they have almost doubled in 3-4 years.

It depends on your pockets, but for me that bird has flown now.

To be honest, I have not bought one for this reason. I can't really see the price going north much more unless of course spot doubles :D 

I wouldn't go for a pf68 either, the fact it was flawed would irritate my OCD. 

I might just leave this which is a shame, as it's my birth year. 

We will start to see a “new normal” for special year proof sovereigns.

As inflation rises 1/2 sovereigns might be the only option for most to be able to afford, (I loaded up on proof 1/2 2022 sovereigns for this reason). 

I watched auction prices of 1937 proof sets hit £7,500 and thought the price will top out……now past 12k and they are still selling.

How many thought when gold hit 1k per oz thought it was the top?  

1 hour ago, SovereignBishop said:

That’s just showing off now. Such an amazing set.

grade them?

Is there a piedfort 2022 set floating around ?

Yes there’s a Piedfort pattern set, could not get my hands on one.  I’ll grade the set at some point but in no rush I like it in the original set for now.