• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Annual 5 Coin Platinum Proof Set Platinum Jubilee - opinions

wateros

Hi,
I would like to ask your opinion on the prospects of such a set: https://britanniacoincompany.com/buy-coins/proof-sets/2022-annual-coin-set-platinum/
know that the price is a bit "striking" for a set that came out in 30 pieces, but I observed that there are quite interesting coins. Three of them (Vera Lynn, Graham Bell and 50p of Birmingham) came out in only 30 pieces. 
What do you think in the perspective of inflation and the next XXX years for such a set?
Thanks for your opinions! 

The issue with this set is that it's a whole chunk of change to buy. Think of how you might sell it down the line. Only seriously wealthy coin collectors will be able to get this set in the future - but would they even get it? I would argue there are far more interesting coin sets for collectors out there than this one and it's big price point really prohibits the selling of it. 

Who knows where it will be in 30 years - maybe quite valuable, but it's also a huge risk and one that will require a lot of work to exit from.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

The issue with this set is that it's a whole chunk of change to buy. Think of how you might sell it down the line. Only seriously wealthy coin collectors will be able to get this set in the future - but would they even get it? I would argue there are far more interesting coin sets for collectors out there than this one and it's big price point really prohibits the selling of it. 

Who knows where it will be in 30 years - maybe quite valuable, but it's also a huge risk and one that will require a lot of work to exit from.

Thanks for answer!

What do you think about buying this set at RRP price? (£10-11k)

2 minutes ago, wateros said:

Thanks for answer!

I bet it wasn't that price a few days ago, i can guarantee you that ! 

Much easier to sell gold, over platinum

Same set in gold a bit cheaper 

https://www.sovr.co.uk/products/elizabeth-ii-2022-gold-5-coin-annual-proof-set-pf70-pf69-gi26178

It is big outlay, but grade them all, hope for 70s, then sell off the lesser pieces via coin auction, keeping the platinum crown & 50p for years to come 

With only 30 and first and only year done in platinum, you certainly wont see many come to market 

When buying always consider how you'll be selling do the road as BYB says above 

32 minutes ago, wateros said:

Thanks for answer!

Again, the issue here is finding a buyer to give you a healthy profit. 

If you are looking to beat inflation with this (lets assume it averages out at 5% for the next 10 years) then you would be looking to earn nearly £550 per year on this - 10 years ownership = £5500 profit - so you would be looking to get someone to pay £16k+ or at auction £18k to get your return. 

And that is all just to make 5%

It's a tough one for sure - but could do very well if graded perfectly.

Also, don't forget the "30" quoted as mintage is just for the Limited Edition Presentation. There could be plenty others of the coins minted - worth checking out each individually.

Has anyone seen the platinum 10-coin set? That was also limited to 30 sets and the £5 (only the £5) was a whopping 94g piedfort!

One of the things I thought was most interesting about that one was the fact that it had a platinum £2 Britannia coin with gold plated outer, which is exciting as wouldn't it be great to have a £2 coin that doesn't tarnish like silver!

17 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I could be wrong, but I think that set on BCC was priced at £17,000 back in June!

I'm not sure personally, platinum not my thing. I just would have assumed they'd have upped the prices of the key platinum jubilee releases on the back of the Queen's passing 

I wouldn't go near it, personally.  Too much money for what it is.

Better to find one of those coins in platinum (I know which design I would look for) and buy that one.  

Maybe a better idea could be to buy the 1 oz platinum britannia bullion bars in the RM certicards if the RM still has any left?  Would  cost less than £1100 per bar including VAT even if you just buy one bar, and a lot easier to liquidate in my opinion.  Some people might want a bit of platinum in RM packaging with some words about The Queen. 

https://www.royalmint.com/invest/bullion/bullion-bars/platinum-bars/britannia-bar-1oz-minted-platinum/

4 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Also, don't forget the "30" quoted as mintage is just for the Limited Edition Presentation. There could be plenty others of the coins minted - worth checking out each individually.

on this page it says (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces321883.html) that "The coin was issued as part of the Annual Platinum Commemorative Proof set for 2022 to commemorate The Queens Platinum Jubilee. The coin was also struck in bimetallic copper-nickel & nickel brass, silver proof, silver piedfort and gold proof. Proof issue limit: 30"

30 - imho its very rare mintage :)

6 minutes ago, wateros said:

on this page it says (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces321883.html) that "The coin was issued as part of the Annual Platinum Commemorative Proof set for 2022 to commemorate The Queens Platinum Jubilee. The coin was also struck in bimetallic copper-nickel & nickel brass, silver proof, silver piedfort and gold proof. Proof issue limit: 30"

30 - imho its very rare mintage :)

There was also the other 30 sets that the coins would have been in. 

Don't you just love the BS when the description takes up valuable limited space to state these coins are legal tender !!
The platinum 50 pence face value coin alone would set you back £1,395 according to the RM website.
Definitely beats Disney dollars 1,000 fold in the league of more money than sense.
Could not find weights on any of the coins for some reason - why is that vital information missing ?
Bit like the shops in Rodeo Drive with shoes and bags without prices - if you need to know the prices before entering the shop then nothing is going to be for you and well outside your price range.

Well, after sleeping on the idea last night, this morning I have bought a 2022 platinum Britannia 1 oz bullion coin and a 2022 platinum Tudor Beasts Lion of England 1 oz bullion coin.

So that's where I have put my money.

Perhaps the best bullion option of all would be to buy the 2022-dated platinum Queen's Beasts Completer 1 oz bullion coin.  I already have one of these, so wasn't looking yesterday/today to see if they are still in stock anywhere.  I suspect that they probably are, either with one of the good, recognised UK bullion dealers or the RM itself.

And I  bought one of these coins from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer alongside a purchase of some gold bullion coins.  Looking forward to receiving them!

2 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Perhaps the best bullion option of all would be to buy the 2022-dated platinum Queen's Beasts Completer 1 oz bullion coin.

Boom 💥

Aside from the fact Platinum is crazy cheap this ticks every box, relatively low mintage, correct year, correct metal,  all the beasts on one coin, low margin, popular series.

Not an expert but have an idea the mint cant strike anymore (any coins with her effigy) now the queen has passed?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

@ArgentSmith - I think in terms of protocol, the RM can continue to mint any and all unlimited mintage coins of the current year's date with the same effigy of the Monarch as when the particular coin was first struck.

So in my opinion the RM could bang out as many of these platinum QB Completers as it chooses to.

5 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Not an expert but have an idea the mint cant strike anymore (any coins with her effigy) now the queen has passed?

I think this is a common misconception, I believe they still can - but it has to be done with approval from the powers that be to meet demand.

It's ultimately because it will take a decent period of time for the new effigy to be commissioned, approved and the dies made. 

14 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I think this is a common misconception, I believe they still can - but it has to be done with approval from the powers that be to meet demand.

Maybe the protocol is no new designs and I'm suffering from the mandela effect 😁 

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

No doubt be that any coin in circulation will continue to be struck, however, for ordinary use coins that may be few if any at all due to numbers already in circulation. The sovereign would be different, but will continue, certainly the bullion ones. Any new commemorative coin that is likely to have 2023 date on may be a different matter for obvious reasons?

Whatever any speculation is, it will all get sorted and any new coins with the King on will no doubt sell out immediately, after the usual big question on the Mint site!