• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collectable £2 coins are they worth keeping?

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on circulated collectable £2 coins. Is it worth it nowadays or possibly in the future keeping them? 

Like mainly I have kept the ones from my change and have a few of the various designs.

I'm not saying that I have any of the ultra rare ones because I'm fairly sure I haven't.

I did give some thought about cashing them in at face value for a half bullion sovereign?

It's Saturday and I'm a little bored can't you tell.😆

Edited by AurumArgenti

£2 coins are quite a popular coin to collect, some collect just the commemoratives and some do a full date run etc - very similar to 50p coins, which happens to be my ‘thing’ ☺️

If you like them , I’d say collect them - I have a full set of circulated 50p’s and a fair chunk of the BU ones as well. I try and pick them up cheaply (or occasionally get one in change, but that’s getting rarer these days ), but if I have to pay a little more for one I don’t have then so be it - they’ll always have a value to collectors in the future.

My budget won’t stretch to collecting Sovereigns, (apart from a few nice examples tucked away as a nest egg) and I would like to get the date run of Gillicks (eventually! 😅) but I collect the 50p’s as they are a way of satisfying my inner Magpie without having to live on baked beans for extended periods 😏🤭

Not a big fan of the £2 coins myself, but have to admit there are some nice commemorative designs out there - and even the ‘super rare’ circulating ones can be had for around £30 still, so I understand… 🤔

Basically, if you like it, go for it - has to be cheaper than collecting Precious metal coins 😁

3 hours ago, AurumArgenti said:

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on circulated collectable £2 coins. Is it worth it nowadays or possibly in the future keeping them? 

Like mainly I have kept the ones from my change and have a few of the various designs.

I'm not saying that I have any of the ultra rare ones because I'm fairly sure I haven't.

I did give some thought about cashing them in at face value for a half bullion sovereign?

"I did give some thought about cashing them in at face value for a half bullion sovereign?"

Do you want one which is half bulllion and half proof?

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, AurumArgenti said:

They are all worth £3,000 if you read The Sun, and some of the other "newspapers", or their online editions!

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/rare-50p-coin-sells-ebay-7519432

You can find almost identical "news" stories on about 50 other Reach PLC titles, with a random selection of different journalists names on them.

Some of the prices may also be random, along with most of the other "news" in those rags!

😎

Chards

I enjoyed finding and keeping the commemorative £2 coin designs from change.  I have almost all of them, plus some good condition spares of some of the later rarer ones.  Otherwise I just put them back into change if I already had a nicer example, so that someone else could collect them.

The only one that I have actually bought from a dealer was the 2012 Handover to Rio coin which I was looking for but couldn't find.  I paid £3 for a very nice example so I think I did all right there.

Have quite a few 2015 Magna Carta and 2015 Navy spares in very good grades if anyone's particularly interested, plus 14 different spare Olympic 50p coins (none of the really rare ones in my spares but I also collected a full set of 29 from change) and also a spare BU set of all 29 coins plus the completer medallion in the original RM folder.

These just need a good home at a fair price for both sides.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if you have some spare commonwealths i will happily buy them off you for £2 each and just to be fair, will pay for the postage as well.

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Provided they only cost £2 to buy. I see no problem collecting them 

😁

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found another one!  The forgotten 1914 Battle of the Falklands which is commemorated each year on December 8th. Briefly the Royal Navy decimated a German cruiser squadron about 80 miles off Port Stanley, sinking the Scharnhorst, and the Gneisenau amongst others. This £2 coin is worth far more than intrinsic value as I personally picked it up in Port Stanley 5 years ago. The penguins were very friendly!…..🐧

D1CBC983-CF2F-4962-BFC2-197054383708.jpeg

3 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Found another one!  The forgotten 1914 Battle of the Falklands which is commemorated each year on December 8th. Briefly the Royal Navy decimated a German cruiser squadron about 80 miles off Port Stanley, sinking the Scharnhorst, and the Gneisenau amongst others. This £2 coin is worth far more than intrinsic value as I personally picked it up in Port Stanley 5 years ago. The penguins were very friendly!…..🐧

D1CBC983-CF2F-4962-BFC2-197054383708.jpeg

Nice coin, never going to find that in me change! The Falklands were still tactically important back then as it was a major coal bunkering location for the ‘local’ British fleet. That is why originally there were Royal Marines stationed there.🤔

• 2 months later...

only 485,000 NI minted so the smallest amount of all the games coins and i think the smallest of all the circulating coins.

I think with

With the kew its just the cheaper cousin so some of the glamour is rubbing off, which is crazy, as are some of the prices on the original kew.