• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Investing in Pokemon cards

19 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Got sucked into MTG a bit before Covid, Loose cards in the white boxes. Sealed items has doubled since picture but most is boxed up.

20211104_231723.jpg

20211104_231808.jpg

Nice haul mate.

I had bought a few collector boxes during covid with no understanding of MTG and still made money with no clue.

Flesh and blood on the other hand well that hurt

35 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Nice haul mate.

I had bought a few collector boxes during covid with no understanding of MTG and still made money with no clue.

Flesh and blood on the other hand well that hurt

Yeah FAB went south quite quickly. It was a strange set up. Really don't know what the creators had in mind. I have a nice NM full set of Revised 

14 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Yeah FAB went south quite quickly. It was a strange set up. Really don't know what the creators had in mind. I have a nice NM full set of Revised 

I know absolutely nothing about it and thats what got me caught out. I think the collector box I had for MTF was modern horizons 2. They did well at the time.

I am unsure now what to do with Monarch F&B. I have 10 booster boxes sealed 1st ed. I may see if there is even any valuable cards you can pull and may try just break it all out.

Have you got any yugioh?

3 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

I know absolutely nothing about it and thats what got me caught out. I think the collector box I had for MTF was modern horizons 2. They did well at the time.

I am unsure now what to do with Monarch F&B. I have 10 booster boxes sealed 1st ed. I may see if there is even any valuable cards you can pull and may try just break it all out.

Have you got any yugioh?

Only MTG really and one box of FAB. I have a stupid amount of MTG all the way from Alpha up to present. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what you people are talking about and have no interest to look so its a good sign to stick with a very occasional PM purchase & buy rum instead. 😛 
I got offered a lot of lego but also dont know where to start. As  a stock trader there is a lot of risk with regards to appreciation but also damage & space with storage. 
I am considering some art. but have decided my best approach is to build up my trading account & compound appreciation & account size over decades. 

9 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I have no idea what you people are talking about and have no interest to look so its a good sign to stick with a very occasional PM purchase & buy rum instead. 😛 
I got offered a lot of lego but also dont know where to start. As  a stock trader there is a lot of risk with regards to appreciation but also damage & space with storage. 
I am considering some art. but have decided my best approach is to build up my trading account & compound appreciation & account size over decades. 

Sound advise. Unless you have an interest or at least the basic knowledge in them best to steer clear. Primarily its a game and should be viewed as such unless the sale of the card games forms part of your business. Any value in them fluctuates wildly, and the majority of them are worthless. This is where the interest combined with the knowledge of wider game and scene comes in to play, so to speak.

Spirits as an investment wouldn't work for me. I don't know the first thing about what makes a good brand, bottle, year. As you say. Stick to what interests you and that you have knowledge of. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sticking a few cards into the CGC for a bit of fun, it's the same process as the coins and I have the premium account with the NGC thats transferable with the CGC.     can submit with my coins.  

Will get a few of those shiny fire dragons and see how they grade, its solely for a bit of fun but fast least I can have these at home instead of all my top graded coins stuck in banks vaults.  

IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8306.JPG

• 8 months later...
27 minutes ago, MrStacker said:

Does anyone know a website or online database so one can use to get an idea of pricing for first generation pokemon cards??

Also, is there an official grading company specifically for Pokemon cards?

the photo above says CGC? 
I am clueless on pokemon. I shelled out £220 on 2 boxes though. :) 

I bought £1000 of Guatemalan art work this week so on the case with tangibles. 

dkhjd.jpeg

fgdh.jpeg

s-l1600.jpeg

Edited by Stacktastic

On 02/02/2023 at 17:54, FlorinCollector said:

Unsure if anyone cares but the reprint of the charizard Ultra premium collection has caused its resale to fall. I believe its well worth a buy and hold strat. If not you can crack it open with 3 promo cards and grade them.

https://magicmadhouse.co.uk/pokemon-sword-shield-ultra-premium-collection-charizard

I have purchased one to crack open and grade the promos.

You usually can’t lose on Charizards.

@MancunianStacker incase you are interested mate.

Sounds like something you could be interested in mate @AddictedtoPreciousMetals

On 02/02/2023 at 17:54, FlorinCollector said:

Unsure if anyone cares but the reprint of the charizard Ultra premium collection has caused its resale to fall. I believe its well worth a buy and hold strat. If not you can crack it open with 3 promo cards and grade them.

https://magicmadhouse.co.uk/pokemon-sword-shield-ultra-premium-collection-charizard

I have purchased one to crack open and grade the promos.

You usually can’t lose on Charizards.

@MancunianStacker incase you are interested mate.

How would you go about getting them graded. Is this something you can do @GoldDiggerDaveor is it a separate company that grades the cards?

2 minutes ago, 365DaysofSilver said:

How would you go about getting them graded. Is this something you can do @GoldDiggerDaveor is it a separate company that grades the cards?

Yes I can do them as well, but need to do a few at a time to to make it viable. 

On 10/03/2023 at 19:48, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'm sticking a few cards into the CGC for a bit of fun, it's the same process as the coins and I have the premium account with the NGC thats transferable with the CGC.     can submit with my coins.  

Will get a few of those shiny fire dragons and see how they grade, its solely for a bit of fun but fast least I can have these at home instead of all my top graded coins stuck in banks vaults.  

IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8306.JPG

Just seen this post. So seems it can be done through the same company then. How’s the pricing? More or less than grading coins or roughly the same?

Edited by 365DaysofSilver

2 hours ago, 365DaysofSilver said:

Just seen this post. So seems it can be done through the same company then. How’s the pricing? More or less than grading coins or roughly the same?

CGC is part of the NGC,  pricing I need to check but will get back to you.  I’ve got a load that need doing also got the fancy metal card one, not even opened the box yet.  

13 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

CGC is part of the NGC,  pricing I need to check but will get back to you.  I’ve got a load that need doing also got the fancy metal card one, not even opened the box yet.  

Ok mate thanks. Got a few that I think could grade well so something I’m thinking about doing in the future. 

What’s the metal one? Im intrigued. You got any pics?

17 minutes ago, 365DaysofSilver said:

Ok mate thanks. Got a few that I think could grade well so something I’m thinking about doing in the future. 

What’s the metal one? Im intrigued. You got any pics?

No pics yet,  when I open the box I’ll drop a picture.  

3 hours ago, Scuzzle said:

I briefly looked at graded Pokemon cards and comic books just for a bit of a punt and some diversification but I quickly realised I don't know enough about either to make any kind of informed decision.

I’m sticking a pile in for fun soon, I’m just picking the ones that like, plus the fancy ones I got in the booster sets. 

Also I’m trying to get some goodies to give away from the CGC 

My daughter used to collect Pokémon cards when she was a teenager but sold a lot of them on EBay several years ago. I’m thinking of tapping her knowledge and getting some advice about them next time she visits, thanks to my sudden unanticipated interest in this thread after only 5 minutes.  She’s very savvy and owns 2 Harry Potter first edition books. Maybe I should take her to meet @GoldDiggerDavewhen I collect my next graded coin? She might end up owning my proof coins after all.

On a more trivial Pokémon note, my brother’s professional mime skills got him the part of Mr Mime in a film called Detective Pikachu. He was covered in various cables which were used to create the Mr Mime digital character itself. I don’t think they used him as the voice-over in that film, but he’s been used in that capacity in another film before. He also assisted in the making of the first couple of Harry Potter films and my kids both got freebie Harry Potter Stunt Crew baseball caps from him. I think the baseball caps were quite rare at the time too.

I'm going  to be building  a CGC submission for graded cards if anyone is interested.

£30 for a single card or  £26 for 5 or more cards. 

image.thumb.png.d3c01bbcb024bc6146be7977e1aefa38.png

image.thumb.png.4ae0369eca7717894043b86bc222a6cb.png

image.thumb.png.25a627e6d68bff58e03c176dea2d59eb.png

image.thumb.png.8302bfdac2afe94622e1c917cc36e3f2.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use