• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Series collecting query

Ted1945

Hello

I am a newish member of the Forum and wondered if anyone would be willing to share thoughts on the types of coins within the RM series ? any to avoid ? 

Whilst I don’t intend flipping in the event I need to raise funds are come coins easier to sell than others? 

I have  seen 1/4 oz coins and few 1& 2 oz coins for sale but not many 50ps? Guess the 2oz are for deep pocket collectors do they generally work out as goodish investments?

appreciate this is a bit vague but I’d be grateful for any views 

thank you 

Ted 

If your not looking to flip (well done :)) avoid any silver proofs from the RM, after the initial rush of flippers doing their thing they almost always end up worth less than you paid, sometimes considerably.  RM have also been having some quality control issues on silver proofs for a while now which is another negative.  If they are for collecting price should not really matter but no one likes a loss.

The Queens Beast series did very well, in pretty much every size and metal except silver proof, it is too early to tell if the Tudor Beast series will do the same.

Not many 50p's do well, again there are exceptions but not many.  Lunar series did not perform well.  The current Monarchs series is an interesting one, but too early to tell how popular it will become.  Gold direct from RM is almost always at a high premium and personally I think bullion coins are a much better buy.  Maybe try for date runs instead of collections - Sovereigns, Britannia's (silver or gold).  More affordable with reasonably low premiums and likely to be a much safer bet in the long run.  Don't buy direct from RM though!   You can go for either proof or bullion with these.  I started collecting the 1/4oz Gold Queens Beasts but have not got too far (only have 3 of the 10) and I am thinking of selling them and switching to 1/4oz Brits post 2013.  I do mainly concentrate on sovereign date runs.

All this my opinion only, you will likely get as many opinions as you get responses

15 minutes ago, Orpster said:

If your not looking to flip (well done :)) avoid any silver proofs from the RM, after the initial rush of flippers doing their thing they almost always end up worth less than you paid, sometimes considerably.  RM have also been having some quality control issues on silver proofs for a while now which is another negative.  If they are for collecting price should not really matter but no one likes a loss.

The Queens Beast series did very well, in pretty much every size and metal except silver proof, it is too early to tell if the Tudor Beast series will do the same.

Not many 50p's do well, again there are exceptions but not many.  Lunar series did not perform well.  The current Monarchs series is an interesting one, but too early to tell how popular it will become.  Gold direct from RM is almost always at a high premium and personally I think bullion coins are a much better buy.  Maybe try for date runs instead of collections - Sovereigns, Britannia's (silver or gold).  More affordable with reasonably low premiums and likely to be a much safer bet in the long run.  Don't buy direct from RM though!   You can go for either proof or bullion with these.  I started collecting the 1/4oz Gold Queens Beasts but have not got too far (only have 3 of the 10) and I am thinking of selling them and switching to 1/4oz Brits post 2013.  I do mainly concentrate on sovereign date runs.

All this my opinion only, you will likely get as many opinions as you get responses

All good points from @Orpster - I have come to view Gold (mostly Sovereigns and some 1/10oz Brits) as a way of saving money / preserving wealth that isn't as easy as cash to Spaff on trivial stuff 😂, and Silver from RM as something to buy the things I like the look of without tying up a large amount of cash (compared to the Gold versions of the same coins) Basically, if you like it - buy it! It's your stack after all.

I started by stacking Silver Brits, as they were affordable in small numbers as and when I had some free funds to save, but as time went on and I was able to allocate more funds to PM's I've switched mostly to Gold  - again, starting with smaller fractions (i.e. 1/10oz Brits) then selling some of those to upgrade to larger coins, Sovereigns in my case. Still have a couple of tubes of 1oz Silver Brits , but will likely sell and use the funds for more Gold at some stage...

I may decide to sell a few Sovereigns in the future to get the odd 1oz Gold coin, as they do look impressive 😁 but Sovereigns seem to be the ideal medium to store wealth in 'manageable' chunks, both from a buying and selling point of view... and they sure do go quickly when priced sensibly here on the Forum! 😊

Hope that's useful,
Bob

41 minutes ago, Orpster said:

41 minutes ago, Orpster said:

1 hour ago, Ted1945 said:

Thank you both I do appreciate your comments 

still trying to get used to correct way to respond 

you'll get there...

try using the 'quote' bit at the bottom of each comment and then it links

you can also drag over the line or sentence you want to comment on, wait for 'quote selection' box to appear and just click on it...

practice on this thread.... its yours, so have a play around with it

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Theres so much choice it difficult to know where to start. But some good advice already given.

I'm pretty new to this and so still finding my path.

For silver stack i'm up for anything that is a good deal. Some i'll flip quickly and then re-invest into the things that i want to collect and keep.

A date run of bullion Britannias is easy to put together, plus i'm also collecting prrof Britannias. Their are some reasonable priced ones around, plus they look pretty and are good to photograph!

I also collect Half crowns. Fairly inexpensive unti you start going back a couple hundred years.

And finally, i've just taken a leap of faith and bought my first couple of Gold Sovereigns. 

Finding coins to add to the collection is the fun part for me, hopefully they'll at least preserve thier value and i'll be less likely to spend the cash on frivalous things like food, electricty etc!!!

2011 Brit Proof.jpg

16 minutes ago, Gordy said:

you'll get there...

try using the 'quote' bit at the bottom of each comment and then it links

you can also drag over the line or sentence you want to comment on, wait for 'quote selection' box to appear and just click on it...

practice on this thread.... its yours, so have a play around with it

Thanks Gordy I do feel a twit 

1 minute ago, Ted1945 said:

Thanks Gordy I do feel a twit 

hey, we all started as novices, it can be tricky to navigate, its a learning curve we all deal with.... the biggest lessons are when you buy something at the wrong time or wrong price..... members will guide you on here and watch the sales threads for how quick the good deals shift... that is if you can beat James and his team of 56 robotic humanoids!

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, Orpster said:

This is great thanks and confirms some suspicions. 

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

All good points from @Orpster - I have come to view Gold (mostly Sovereigns and some 1/10oz Brits) as a way of saving money / preserving wealth that isn't as easy as cash to Spaff on trivial stuff 😂, and Silver from RM as something to buy the things I like the look of without tying up a large amount of cash (compared to the Gold versions of the same coins) Basically, if you like it - buy it! It's your stack after all.

I started by stacking Silver Brits, as they were affordable in small numbers as and when I had some free funds to save, but as time went on and I was able to allocate more funds to PM's I've switched mostly to Gold  - again, starting with smaller fractions (i.e. 1/10oz Brits) then selling some of those to upgrade to larger coins, Sovereigns in my case. Still have a couple of tubes of 1oz Silver Brits , but will likely sell and use the funds for more Gold at some stage...

I may decide to sell a few Sovereigns in the future to get the odd 1oz Gold coin, as they do look impressive 😁 but Sovereigns seem to be the ideal medium to store wealth in 'manageable' chunks, both from a buying and selling point of view... and they sure do go quickly when priced sensibly here on the Forum! 😊

Hope that's useful,
Bob

Now I know how to respond thanks Bob that is very useful 

I did start with some silver brits and very quickly got a gold craving. 

2 hours ago, Ted1945 said:

Now I know how to respond thanks Bob that is very useful 

You're welcome! 😁

2 hours ago, Ted1945 said:

... and you've got the hang of it! 😁

I like the fact that buying Precious Metals fills the 'Retail Therapy' need we seem to have - but the things that you buy end up storing your wealth...  and are nice to look at too 😊

I've spent money on all kinds of stuff over the years, but this is the first time I've had much to show for it 👍

Edited by Scootermuppet

May I suggest:

- Britannias

- Also Kookaburras from the Perth Mint

Both offer the opportunity to collect past dates as well as future dates issues.  PM also has pretty decent quality and varying designs per year.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

41 minutes ago, dicker said:

May I suggest:

- Britannias

Both offer the opportunity to collect past dates as well as future dates issues.  PM also has pretty decent quality and varying designs per year.

Thanks for that will definitely take a look 

10 hours ago, Ted1945 said:

Hello

I am a newish member of the Forum and wondered if anyone would be willing to share thoughts on the types of coins within the RM series ? any to avoid ? 

Whilst I don’t intend flipping in the event I need to raise funds are come coins easier to sell than others? 

I have  seen 1/4 oz coins and few 1& 2 oz coins for sale but not many 50ps? Guess the 2oz are for deep pocket collectors do they generally work out as goodish investments?

appreciate this is a bit vague but I’d be grateful for any views 

thank you 

Ted 

10 hours ago, Orpster said:

9 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Hope that's useful,
Bob

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

Theres so much choice it difficult to know where to start. But some good advice already given.

I'm pretty new to this and so still finding my path.

For silver stack i'm up for anything that is a good deal. Some i'll flip quickly and then re-invest into the things that i want to collect and keep.

A date run of bullion Britannias is easy to put together, plus i'm also collecting prrof Britannias. Their are some reasonable priced ones around, plus they look pretty and are good to photograph!

I also collect Half crowns. Fairly inexpensive unti you start going back a couple hundred years.

And finally, i've just taken a leap of faith and bought my first couple of Gold Sovereigns. 

Finding coins to add to the collection is the fun part for me, hopefully they'll at least preserve thier value and i'll be less likely to spend the cash on frivalous things like food, electricty etc!!!

2011 Brit Proof.jpg

1 hour ago, dicker said:

May I suggest:

- Britannias

The OP is posted under:

So I presume it is primarily about gold rather than silver.

😎

•  

Chards

Gold bullion Tudor Beast are likely to do well, bullion is normally investment but there are coins that cross the line into semi-numismatic, effectively it possibly adds additional premium to a bullion product.   How many of use wished we hoovered up 1oz gold lion of England coins?

50p's.........don't normally do well and I'm an advanced 50p collector, it's not all about making money sometimes I will buy coins I just like.  

Other coins that are likely to do well over time.........2022 bullion sovereigns.  The next monarch may do well EdwardVII this could appeal to sovereign collectors, the Henry VIII in Jan 2023 is likely to get some interest, the next great engraver is due March 2023....I'm already saving for those! 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Most of the Perth Mint bullion stuff seems to appreciate (or at least hold) in value and Kookaburras are a good place to start - another more recent run is the Wedge Tailed Eagle series - and even more recent the Dolphin series. In my experience these sell quickly on the secondary market and generally gain a premium within three or four years.

As for the RM - the bullion coins (Britannia, Royal Arms, Valiant et al) will always sell but don't have the same potential for growth as the Perth Mint coins. They are not seen as collectables - more as a stacking option. I also believe that the majority of RM proof coins are a poor option although some of the proof Brits carry a premium and, on occasion, the odd non Brit proof. Steer well clear of any Royalty themed proofs, they will always depreciate rapidly. My tip if you go for proof coins is to look out for the older .958 Britannia sets which can be picked up for around £100. I believe they have the potential to beat inflation long term.

Always look out for non-standard sizes (such as last years 1/4 ounce Britannia). If you can buy well they also have potential for growth due to limited production runs and the novelty value.

Most importantly - but what you like.

Or just ignore my ramblings now LawrenceChard has pointed out that i really should check which topic this was posted in 🙄

Edited by TeaTime

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

The OP is posted under:

So I presume it is primarily about gold rather than silver.

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Or just ignore my ramblings now LawrenceChard has pointed out that i really should check which topic this was posted in 🙄

Actually, topic aside, the OP has mentioned he started with Silver too…

6 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:
  9 hours ago, Ted1945 said:

So maybe we are somewhat vindicated? 😏

9 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Lots of topics get posted without the OP making it clear which metal they are primarily referrring to, so you are not alone.

I make a habit of stating it in my titles to make it clear, but most topics diverge from their original point; some more than others.

I also wrote an "Advice Guide for UK Bullion Investors"

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

which should be helpful, and there are many links from it to many other questions.

😎

8 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Of course!

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Buying stuff you like - a good bit of advice in many areas, like antiques for example…

Didnt know you were a 50p fan Dave, same here ☺️👍

Thought my gold proof Kew Gardens 50p would give it away!  LOL!!!!

30 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Thought my gold proof Kew Gardens 50p would give it away!  LOL!!!!

Fair point 😏

Although, as a 50p fan myself, it never occurred that just because you had that coin as your avatar you were a 50p fan - it's just such a well known coin! ☺️

Thanks for all your comments, so much for me to look into and the advice is really appreciated. The researching is really enjoyable , TSF really is a great resource and good fun .  My first purchases in April were from the  RM so I now fully appreciate the  comments about them and their premiums (wealth warning required). Having bought a couple of coins from TSF members I have easily recouped my platinum membership fee.   Very grateful  for all the time you took in replying and the solid advice. 

14 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

absolutely thanks

If you base the core of your gold purchasing around bullion sovereigns and 1 oz Britannias, you won't go far wrong.  Then, add things to the periphery of your gold stack/collection/hoard that please you aesthetically.  

I would recommend adding at least one example of a bullion double sovereign and the Royal Arms coin, and you are unlikely to go wrong if you buy the 1 oz bullion Tudor Beasts.

Other 1 oz bullion coins that please me aesthetically include the Two Dragons coin and the Oriental Border Britannias, especially the 2018.

Beyond that, perhaps one example of a 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz bullion coin, such as a 1/4 oz Gold Standard, and a 1/2 oz Britannia.

Enjoy the journey!