• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why silver price is going down when we have such inflation?

14 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yeah I know I was just having a laugh with you..  I have a silver stack meself as well as a few other little stacks of potentially useful stuff, but I'm just not all that convinced if it (the silver) will do me any good if/when the time comes that everything around me starts to fall apart, but I'll hang onto it anyway on the off chance..🤔

Yeah we are on the same page. I am a useful stuff horder. It will all circle itself to eBay at some point. 

44 minutes ago, theman73 said:

Not for me, I do not drink or smoke

Well these would be ideal prepper tradeable goods - you won't be tempted to use them yourself.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

56 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yeah I know I was just having a laugh with you..  I have a silver stack meself as well as a few other little stacks of potentially useful stuff, but I'm just not all that convinced if it (the silver) will do me any good if/when the time comes that everything around me starts to fall apart, but I'll hang onto it anyway on the off chance..🤔

This is a valid point and has crossed my mind quite a few times.

The classic prepper imagines they will be able to buy stuff with old circulation silver coins. Do we really imagine this will work? Well it won't work in most shops - it will be with private individuals. The classic prepper imagines he will be able to swap his silver coin with a local farmer for a few dozen eggs and a sheep. Do we really think this will work?
i am a mega silver stacker (until it was all lost in a tragic boating accident) - but in reality am i wasting my time? Fiat is collapsing - so i don't want to swap into fiat - so what am i going to swap into?
What am i going to do with my kilo and 100oz bars?
What am i going to do with my collector coins and bars?

Perhaps i would be better buying pouches of rolling tobacco, whiskey, tins of beans, tampons, toothpaste, soap etc etc. i mean if i collected 10 000 Tampax i wouldn't be tempted to use them myself.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

Isn't Tampax good for bullet wounds.

they can help but the Military Medics on the MERT (Medical Emergency Response Team, they come in a helicopter) in the latter stages of the Afghanistan tour use like a pressured foam in a can! I saw it being displayed by the yanks in demo and the brits are looking to use it.....  Awesome bit of kit

you just spray it on the wound and just expands and creates a secondary skin

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

think you'll find the correct terminology is axe wound 🤓

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Just now, ArgentSmith said:

think you'll find the correct terminology is axe wound 🤓

And depends if on the size of the Axe head, some may need to use a sheep!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

12 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

They tend to be used in gashes in my experience.

3 hours ago, Scuzzle said:

Marines do actually carry a stock around with them, they use them for lighting fires, they make excellent dry kindling.

Yes I used to carry one my surival tin also good for water absorption also, can hold a lot. Cotton wool can do the good for kindling also for lighting fires.

4 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Yes I used to carry one my surival tin also good for water absorption also, can hold a lot. Cotton wool can do the good for kindling also for lighting fires.

The question was about the price of silver vs inflation, not about Tampax and Always.

Go to the naughty page, mate!😁

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

The question was about the price of silver vs inflation, not about Tampax and Always.

Go to the naughty page, mate!😁

On the contrary...

Silver when submerged in water does not inflate.

A lady nappy kinda does inflate in water😁

So whatever the question was, tampax wins.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 27/07/2022 at 11:53, Alex944 said:

I don't know if this played into the price itself, but I noticed that since the introduction of VAT across the EU (read that as Estonia was finally forced to enforce VAT on silver) in early July, spot for silver specifically dipped about 10%, though the price of purchasing physical silver has stayed relatively similar. Perhaps that's just a price adjustment in the sense that the buying power required for silver stays relatively similar than before VAT introduction. This is specific to EU market though, I don't know if that'd cause an effect on the global silver price, but in terms of buying physical silver from dealers, prices haven't changed that much.

I often read this so called news about a VAT introduction in the EU on silver on this forum. As a citizen of Belgium and a buyer of silver I can tell you that nothing has changed and we still ( and also not in the future ) not have to pay VAT on silver coins or bars issued as a currency. On rounds and "normal" bars also nothing has changed because we always had to pay VAT on them. So maybe in Estonia the situation has changed but don't speak about the entire EU when it is not correct !

On 27/07/2022 at 00:22, theman73 said:

Why silver price is going down when we have such inflation?

I think the first reason is that people see gold as a hedge against inflation and silver still as an industrial commodity. So it is normal that with the cooling down of the economy the silver price will have it more difficult as industrial demand will drop or will be lower than expected.

Second reason is that a lot of the "apes" who gone wild with all of the silver squeezes have gone out of silver again or stopped buying it after all the losses they made with it.

And a third reason is that people have less free money because of the inflation to just buy some silver.

2 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I often read this so called news about a VAT introduction in the EU on silver on this forum. As a citizen of Belgium and a buyer of silver I can tell you that nothing has changed and we still ( and also not in the future ) not have to pay VAT on silver coins or bars issued as a currency. On rounds and "normal" bars also nothing has changed because we always had to pay VAT on them. So maybe in Estonia the situation has changed but don't speak about the entire EU when it is not correct !

Cool! Asking for a friend then, where does one purchase silver bullion from Belgium without having VAT applied which isnt second hand market? 

7 hours ago, James32 said:

On the contrary...

Silver when submerged in water does not inflate.

Bullys dolly does inflate in water😁

So whatever the question was, dolly wins.

There is a wise answer right there

On 29/07/2022 at 07:33, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'm not a silver heretic, or out to convince someone to make any sort of financial decision, I believe in having an open conversation and yes even if we disagree I can still see both points of view.  This thread has got me looking at silver price vs bank interest rates over the last 50 years and it's astounding.

if you bought £1000 of silver in 1972 you would have been able to buy around 1351oz at around 0.74p per oz.  Keep that for 50 years and today its worth 16.54p  so the original £1000 would be worth £22,345.54

(some would say I could sell it for more etc on TSF for sake of example I'm keeping at spot as i've averaged the interest rates to normal interest not allowed for higher returns in bonds etc)

In 1972 some leaves £1000 in the bank account for 50 years and the average interest over this time was 7.17% per year.  That today would be worth £31,890.52

over the last 50 years cash in the bank has out performed silver. 

The same £1000 would have bought around 36.5oz of gold in 1972 today that would be worth £52,815.50p

I am not out to argue or upset anyone, (I do like a laugh and a bit of banter even when it's at my own expense)  I'm looking with my own eyes and using a calculator and can not see over 10 or even over the last 50 years on average where silver has out performed having boring cash in the bank doing nothing.  We all know theres all sorts of added cost with silver dealer premium and vat  I did not calculate that into to mix or a percentage storage fees.  Over 50 storage fees at 1% +vat per year would have cost £1,815.00 alone. (this is well under as it needs to be 1% +vat of the value of the PM using RM storage as an example that will give me a headache working that out the final year would cost £268 alone)

We all know having cash is a very poor way to store your wealth and it performs worse than real world inflation it's still better than silver  over 10 or even 50 years. 

For smaller regular silver stackers when you apply 20% vat 17-21% dealer premium 50p for the capsule and postage doing this over the last decade would put you well into an effective negative interest rate scenario I'll work this out later on today......but even now its looking ugly.   Maybe be the ugly truth needs to come out? 

+

On 30/07/2022 at 12:26, flyingveepixie said:

So, you gonna eat your silver when the food riots start then..?  (I have silver too btw..😂)  Does it grind up into nice flour to put in the bread machine or make coffee with..?

In prepper land there is a saying which goes along the lines of  "better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it"

+

On 30/07/2022 at 13:41, theman73 said:

No, but you will exchange it for food because nobody will accept worthless cash? (history?)

What about corned beef?

1S_skclKTq3sBVCkK3l3OP_sL70LhFh9hC_wJ7WBju0E9P_zRxLi3PcTvPnyP9Yuja1ylJCLrws9DmVYjIhXpC52L36WFzDR-FCvxNUwfGRwu5Sxn7U9uZpk1tRMWHp7g4EMa8sCyRZ8jsayQl6-nnfh5BKVmjbzZswI4w6xvKyo3hBEBOYTLuLbf8nSx9iS_rX1QI6DVaBGTP1kUEQ3_yj4jvZ4l6PoekYvMlSOADxWe23BGJN2H7qpyaYNT1j10KCqNdZM02dCtyVIM9V7cfbuuFVCay5XpQfcmTaTlIXh3-J0rhUEoQGd2pa194PoLFiYSvoh9N93VfaOrSxjMVI_N5nMrJYNo5VgjWXfbOPZ6UQFd3cH5DPenlGDA2STDEOPrj7FqysaPGfr1o797R0ikiM0QN9SV1rQhO3bAkuT1VHsY63voe0IXW58e1iChDbyXCWGF6QpPg8Mz9Z_GgcJQ4Bfhz5W_DXfukmvURIR5U0l6fYwScnWsw3-dxemcyIfAMstmTgnX_cA561qVsb0d56uKsQ5dqMJGNavy79n6Ceog4zj-mX_oiobnsHxZKIkVf9AfgPU6DvJP_mRPgwL8L4nkovD5zVwbJpa1YSJdFAVQiIwsGxLsOxiURjcxZdWs7xv8AYGTjjqA-PaXDQHQVZY2tTx2oCjdQ_tFPykjm0si68D3qimSOqjUELspJXWfHLNKBdZpaGJqtLzmuJVJyjzJL2D3wudKEdz9KlvdSB-a2PGzGqjt_D2ONw=w1290-h967-no?authuser=0

In the right corner, a whole ounce of Silver bought for £26.90.

In the left corner, 4.42 kilos of corned beef bought for 25.87.

Who will win in 3 years?

Might open its own thread and take bets 🤣

On 30/07/2022 at 15:06, sixgun said:

This is a valid point and has crossed my mind quite a few times.

The classic prepper imagines they will be able to buy stuff with old circulation silver coins. Do we really imagine this will work? Well it won't work in most shops - it will be with private individuals. The classic prepper imagines he will be able to swap his silver coin with a local farmer for a few dozen eggs and a sheep. Do we really think this will work?
i am a mega silver stacker (until it was all lost in a tragic boating accident) - but in reality am i wasting my time? Fiat is collapsing - so i don't want to swap into fiat - so what am i going to swap into?
What am i going to do with my kilo and 100oz bars?
What am i going to do with my collector coins and bars?

Perhaps i would be better buying pouches of rolling tobacco, whiskey, tins of beans, tampons, toothpaste, soap etc etc. i mean if i collected 10 000 Tampax i wouldn't be tempted to use them myself.

I believe that this is correct. Silver has been removed from circulation in the 40s, folks don't really know what it's worth any more, more so, fair play giving someone 1oz of Silver, will they have change? And regardless, will they want it? In a terrible hit the fan scenario is likely that survival items will be more important than a D&D c/s/g scenario, as a prepper would is more important is not even to stack food, but the knowledge on how to produce more, in such a scenario a couple of potatoes would be worth more than any silver.

2 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

+

+

What about corned beef?

1S_skclKTq3sBVCkK3l3OP_sL70LhFh9hC_wJ7WBju0E9P_zRxLi3PcTvPnyP9Yuja1ylJCLrws9DmVYjIhXpC52L36WFzDR-FCvxNUwfGRwu5Sxn7U9uZpk1tRMWHp7g4EMa8sCyRZ8jsayQl6-nnfh5BKVmjbzZswI4w6xvKyo3hBEBOYTLuLbf8nSx9iS_rX1QI6DVaBGTP1kUEQ3_yj4jvZ4l6PoekYvMlSOADxWe23BGJN2H7qpyaYNT1j10KCqNdZM02dCtyVIM9V7cfbuuFVCay5XpQfcmTaTlIXh3-J0rhUEoQGd2pa194PoLFiYSvoh9N93VfaOrSxjMVI_N5nMrJYNo5VgjWXfbOPZ6UQFd3cH5DPenlGDA2STDEOPrj7FqysaPGfr1o797R0ikiM0QN9SV1rQhO3bAkuT1VHsY63voe0IXW58e1iChDbyXCWGF6QpPg8Mz9Z_GgcJQ4Bfhz5W_DXfukmvURIR5U0l6fYwScnWsw3-dxemcyIfAMstmTgnX_cA561qVsb0d56uKsQ5dqMJGNavy79n6Ceog4zj-mX_oiobnsHxZKIkVf9AfgPU6DvJP_mRPgwL8L4nkovD5zVwbJpa1YSJdFAVQiIwsGxLsOxiURjcxZdWs7xv8AYGTjjqA-PaXDQHQVZY2tTx2oCjdQ_tFPykjm0si68D3qimSOqjUELspJXWfHLNKBdZpaGJqtLzmuJVJyjzJL2D3wudKEdz9KlvdSB-a2PGzGqjt_D2ONw=w1290-h967-no?authuser=0

Who will win in 3 years?

I believe that this is correct. Silver has been removed from circulation in the 40s, folks don't really know what it's worth any more, more so, fair play giving someone 1oz of Silver, will they have change? And regardless, will they want it? In a terrible hit the fan scenario is likely that survival items will be more important than a D&D c/s/g scenario, as a prepper would is more important is not even to stack food, but the knowledge on how to produce more, in such a scenario a couple of potatoes would be worth more than any silver.

Nice tankard!🤗

14 minutes ago, SidS said:

Sadly most people would probably take a pewter tankard over a silver coin, if only for the beer.

I feel spam might be an interesting commodity to have. 😁

Tins of any food item, bottles of booze, tubes of toothpaste, lighters, blister packs of ibuprofen etc. The list goes on..  But it's worth keeping some silver too just in case because as one of my old mates always likes to remind me "anything can happen"  and it could be something unforeseen or unimagined such that the silver might be just what you need.

better to have it and not need it etc ...

Edited by flyingveepixie

1 hour ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

+

+

What about corned beef?

Who will win in 3 years?

I think the corned beef forum has a nice ring to it.