• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay - An Alternate Universe Where Nothing Means What it Says

1 minute ago, flyingveepixie said:

You cannot add the cost of postage to the item if you want to sell it because if you do your item will come in at a higher price than similar items being listed by other sellers who are willing to sell for less, and yours will therefore not sell, at least not before the other competing items are completely all gone which is usually never.  If you want to sell and offer free postage to buyers the only way to do it is to take a financial hit.

Depends what you are selling. Up until recently I have done very well with my items plus postage, however, usually similar but rarely same also available. 

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

Depends what you are selling. Up until recently I have done very well with my items plus postage, however, usually similar but rarely same also available. 

I've tried it every which way over the years and often change a listing after some time has passed either to bin the postage or to maybe drop the price below that of competitors and add a bit of postage on. It's all psy-ops and sometimes a strategy will work once, twice or several times, or not at all. As you say it all depends, but generally speaking if there are multiple items all the same, the cheapest will go first every time.

Edited by flyingveepixie

5 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

When saying many have been brainwashed into believing in the myth of free postage, I am of course referring to the millions of people who have allowed themselves to be brainwashed.

Packing is a cost to the business which is often factored into the price of the goods sold, but in other cases, charged separately.

In no case is postage actually "free", there is always a cost.

I am not saying, nor have a said, that ebay charge a fee on their integrated system with Royal Mail. I do not keep up, nor intend to keep up with, ebay's almost constantly changing rules and policies.

I understand that "free postage" works well for you as an ebay seller, which will tend to endear you to its use, as it is in your interest, especially as ebay gives search preference to "post free" listings.

People tend to believe things which they want to believe, which is a well-known factor in propaganda and misinformation.

Your opening sentence "I haven’t found this to be what I have experienced on eBay, if I understand correctly. EBay take a fee from me stated in the T&C’s and based on the value of the sale. Nothing is taken regarding postage." supports and confirms the point I made earlier "...this is because they collect selling fees on the whole amount, whereas ebay gets less if the shipping costs are charged separately."

😎

We can go around in circles, I understand what you are saying though that wasn't obvious from your previous posts. I agree that at some point someone is paying therefore it is not free but also it is free in the eyes of the customer.

Do Chards ever offer free postage?

I bet you have had a few free lunches in your time, that technically aren't free, but are free to you!

Nice shades, is it hot up there at the moment? Good weather to get stripped off and wave your stick of rock around on the beach.

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

15 minutes ago, Mox said:

We can go around in circles, I understand what you are saying though that wasn't obvious from your previous posts. I agree that at some point someone is paying therefore it is not free but also it is free in the eyes of the customer.

I bet you have had a few free lunches in your time, that technically aren't free, but are free to you!

Nice shades, is it hot up there at the moment? Good weather to get stripped off and wave your stick of rock around on the beach.

It's only free when the taxpayer pays fo r it.

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

We all go round in circles at times:

Free Postage at Chards?:

or...

I was always aware that free lunches are not free, so I usually pay, to reverse the tables!

Shades? Yes this emoji always makes me smile.

The last time I waved my stick of rock on Blackpool Beach, I almost got arrested! (Credit George Formby).

Although it is warm of course, we had a welcome heavy shower yesterday, and a sea breeze which is very refreshing. It's rather like being on holiday, even though I am WFH.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Which means it is only truly free if you are not a taxpayer.

😎

Apologies, I wasn't including the lifestyle benifit fraudsters who buy 1oz Britannia Gold coins. Nudge, nudge. Everything is free to them.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Which means it is only truly free if you are not a taxpayer.

😎

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

Apologies, I wasn't including the lifestyle benifit fraudsters who buy 1oz Britannia Gold coins. Nudge, nudge. Everything is free to them.

Which reminds me, I must get off now, and return Bernie Ecclestone's phone call!

😎

Chards

• 1 month later...