• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay - An Alternate Universe Where Nothing Means What it Says

Ebay - An Alternate Universe Where Nothing Means What it Says

While I was looking at an ebay listing, mentioned in another post I noticed these:

1188804410_NiceBeautifulCollectibleCoinsonEbay.thumb.jpg.8bd53bf3320279bcce03d7f67b24236f.jpg

Clearly ebay is another world of verbal irony. Everything seems to mean the opposite of its description.

1777 HALF PENNY GB UK KING GEORGE III BEAUTIFUL COLLECTIBLE COIN

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY GB GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY GB GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN CAP2

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY OF GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN

Nice? No

Collectible? Yes, about as collectable as horse manure for the garden, if you like that sort of thing.

I / we have got better looking coins in our scrap buckets.

It would be quite as bad, if the appalling seller coin.empire or coin.empire.numismatica...

Business details
Business name: Coin Empire Numismatica
First name: Bela
Surname: Farkas
Address: 12 Victoria Crescent, DE14 2QA Burton-on-Trent, United Kingdom

Seller information
coin.empire (14001)
99.7% positive Feedback...

...  didn't HAVE TO SHOUT IN CAPITAL LETTERS

F.F.S. (For Farkas Sake)!

😎

Chards

You know the saying people in glasshouses shouldnt throw stones! :P

image.thumb.png.0b333abe793e1ef6bdac4b9298853a5f.png

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

24 minutes ago, James32 said:

Bela farkas is an ex girlfriend of @HerefordBullyun

What kind of name is Bela?
Béla (Hungarian: [ˈbeːlɒ]; Serbian or Slovak variants are Бeлa, Bela or Belo) is a common Hungarian male given name. Its most likely etymology is from old Hungarian bél ("heart; insides" in Old Hungarian and "intestines" in modern Hungarian; in both the symbolism is "guts" i.e. bravery and character).

Should we all be concerned?

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

What kind of name is Bela?
Béla (Hungarian: [ˈbeːlɒ]; Serbian or Slovak variants are Бeлa, Bela or Belo) is a common Hungarian male given name. Its most likely etymology is from old Hungarian bél ("heart; insides" in Old Hungarian and "intestines" in modern Hungarian; in both the symbolism is "guts" i.e. bravery and character).

Should we all be concerned?

😎

@HerefordBullyun must like his woman butch?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 17/07/2022 at 21:50, HerefordBullyun said:

You know the saying people in glasshouses shouldnt throw stones! :P

image.thumb.png.0b333abe793e1ef6bdac4b9298853a5f.png

No, that's just typical dishonest EbaySpeak for "postage and packing included", because ebay encourage listing with "free postage". this is because they collect selling fees on the whole amount, whereas ebay gets less if the shipping costs are charged separately.

Ebay actively supports and encourages the myth and propaganda of "free postage", and it's sad to witness that so many of you have been brainwashed into believing it.

😎

On 17/07/2022 at 21:50, Dakaras said:

I went looking for a 2017 proof 1 Oz silver Krugerrand today , thinking of selling mine, lots advertising as proof but close up of COA shows uncirculated.

That's ebay for you.

Surprising they are even genuine!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

As in Butch Cassidy?

😎

I am man of high standards - aslong as their tattoos are spelt right!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Ebay actively supports and encourages the myth and propaganda !

😎

So they are Cockneys have a good look having a proper ganda?

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Aslong as you could tell the difference!

😎

I lived in SE Asia for 4 years! I know the score!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

18 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Then you would need the night shade!

😎

Wasnt that Bella Emberg?

56 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

ebay encourage listing with "free postage". this is because they collect selling fees on the whole amount, wheareas ebay gets less if the shipping costs are charged separately.

Not sure this is correct unless terms have changed. ebay at one rime only applied fees on the goods, but then included fees on the postage. I usually listed postage separately as would offer combined postage at cost, ebay have got consistantly greedy!

33 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

I thought this was a post by @LawrenceChard about eBay listings.

I had no idea who Bella Donna was….

I do now. 🫣

Sorry,, thought it was funny. I did ban myself from posting when working nights at one time. I may go back to it.

11 hours ago, ady said:

Not sure this is correct unless terms have changed. ebay at one rime only applied fees on the goods, but then included fees on the postage. I usually listed postage separately as would offer combined postage at cost, ebay have got consistantly greedy!

Yes, it makes sense to list postage separately, and combining purchases is one good reason, multiple purchases is another reason.

Ebay can afford to be greedy because they carved themselves out a near monopoly. Or they think they can afford to be greedy, it might come back to bite them.

😎

Chards

Maybe you should rename the thread - Ebay an alternative to people flogging horseshat?

On 17/07/2022 at 22:18, LawrenceChard said:

No, that's just typical dishonest EbaySpeak for "postage and packing included", because ebay encourage listing with "free postage". this is because they collect selling fees on the whole amount, wheareas ebay gets less if the shipping costs are charged separately.

Ebay actively supports and encourages the myth and propaganda of "free postage", and it's sad to witness that so many of you have been brainwashed into believing it.

😎

That's ebay for you.

Surprising they are even genuine!

😎

I haven’t found this to be what I have experienced on eBay, if I understand correctly. EBay take a fee from me stated in the T&C’s and based on the value of the sale. Nothing is taken regarding postage.

If you are saying they charge a fee on their integrated system with Royal Mail then that’s is different. I don’t use that system so don’t know if there is any variance from normal RM prices.

Items sold on eBay are at the vendors risk when it comes to postage. Offering free postage gives you the freedom, when taking on that risk, to either send using your stated method or increase the level of confidence dependent on the value of the item.

I’m not sure who you refer to when saying many have been brainwashed into believing in the myth of free postage. If I’m taking the risk I will dictate postage option and price the item accordingly.

You also mention “postage and packing”, packing is a cost to the business factored into the price of the goods sold? Like wages, rent and all other overheads?

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

20 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

it might come back to bite them.

It often seems to me the bigger a company gets the more corrupt and greedy they become. Ebay is a prime example of this and while I can only speak for myself I can confirm that I haven't created any new listings on ebay for several months and do not intend to.  I still have some live listings which hardly get any views and I'll leave them till they sell, if ever,  but that'll be it for me. 

Given that with all things in general you can never really move backwards towards what many might consider to be a better time and a better overall situation it is unlikely that I will go back to them, so consider them bitten! (from this one very small person at least)

Edited by flyingveepixie

8 hours ago, Mox said:

I haven’t found this to be what I have experienced on eBay, if I understand correctly. EBay take a fee from me stated in the T&C’s and based on the value of the sale. Nothing is taken regarding postage.

If you are saying they charge a fee on their integrated system with Royal Mail then that’s is different. I don’t use that system so don’t know if there is any variance from normal RM prices.

Items sold on eBay are at the vendors risk when it comes to postage. Offering free postage gives you the freedom, when taking on that risk, to either send using your stated method or increase the level of confidence dependent on the value of the item.

I’m not sure who you refer to when saying many have been brainwashed into believing in the myth of free postage. If I’m taking the risk I will dictate postage option and price the item accordingly.

You also mention “postage and packing”, packing is a cost to the business factored into the price of the goods sold? Like wages, rent and all other overheads?

If you offer free postage, then you have surely added that onto the item’s price? Therefore ebay take a slightly higher cut than if the item was cheaper with additional postage charges?

9 hours ago, Mox said:

When saying many have been brainwashed into believing in the myth of free postage, I am of course referring to the millions of people who have allowed themselves to be brainwashed.

Packing is a cost to the business which is often factored into the price of the goods sold, but in other cases, charged separately.

In no case is postage actually "free", there is always a cost.

I am not saying, nor have a said, that ebay charge a fee on their integrated system with Royal Mail. I do not keep up, nor intend to keep up with, ebay's almost constantly changing rules and policies.

I understand that "free postage" works well for you as an ebay seller, which will tend to endear you to its use, as it is in your interest, especially as ebay gives search preference to "post free" listings.

People tend to believe things which they want to believe, which is a well-known factor in propaganda and misinformation.

Your opening sentence "I haven’t found this to be what I have experienced on eBay, if I understand correctly. EBay take a fee from me stated in the T&C’s and based on the value of the sale. Nothing is taken regarding postage." supports and confirms the point I made earlier "...this is because they collect selling fees on the whole amount, whereas ebay gets less if the shipping costs are charged separately."

😎

Chards

7 hours ago, Petra said:

If you offer free postage, then you have surely added that onto the item’s price? Therefore ebay take a slightly higher cut than if the item was cheaper with additional postage charges?

The point was that yes, postage is paid by me but there is no postage paid by the seller and therefore postage is free to them, what I am giving is an all in price. The fee is taken whether or not I split the postage out but that does not matter to the buyer.

I want to sell stuff therefore free postage is used as a psychological tool to encourage buying. I do not add the cost of postage to the item when calculating the value I advertise for the item. I know what an item costs me to produce to the point where it is available to sell and on ebay I look to be lowest price incl P&P and whatever is left over after packing and posting is mine. I know I can cover the postage, and it is a cost for me, not the buyer. So its free. To them. Like complimentary peanuts, or toilet paper in a pub toilet.

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

8 hours ago, Petra said:

You cannot add the cost of postage to the item if you want to sell it because if you do your item will come in at an overall higher price than similar items being listed by other sellers who are willing to sell for less, and yours will therefore not sell, at least not before the other competing items are completely all gone which is usually never.  If you want to sell and offer free postage to buyers the only way to do it is to take a financial hit.

Edited by flyingveepixie