• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Charles II Crown 1741 - EBay….

dicker

Anyone else think this looks outstandingly…..counterfeit?  

I stumbled across this a when looking at some (genuine) Sovs he / she / it was as selling.

Best

Dicker

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144631537107?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4xuVVF0SS1y&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bYgKomkjQOW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

F10F901B-7A93-4E49-9BD8-ADB2881126C6.jpeg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

The first impression is that it is flat, and cleaned (at best). Just looked significantly different the same coin I have seen in person.  Sometimes photography plays a part but I don’t think so here from what so can see.

At 1,100 GBP it should be real…

Perhaps this isn’t a case of an “amateur dealer” selling something they don’t know about….? But I am highly sceptical  

Best

Dicker

56 minutes ago, dicker said:

Anyone else think this looks outstandingly…..counterfeit?  

I stumbled across this a when looking at some (genuine) Sovs he / she / it was as selling.

Best

Dicker

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144631537107?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4xuVVF0SS1y&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bYgKomkjQOW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

F10F901B-7A93-4E49-9BD8-ADB2881126C6.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Orpster said:

image.thumb.png.9d20175fe9e7e2311d9de128afabc465.png

One on the right is the stock picture from the Royal Mint, there may be some 'slight' inconsistencies :) 

8 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

Looks terrible, what's happened to the eye 👁️

For once, it looks like a genuine coin on ebay!

While it is always possible to be wrong, especially when the photos are mediocre, as usual.

Quick tip: try a Google search for (coin description) + AliExpress. It is interesting how often you can find an identical looking imitation in seconds.

The crown on ebay is a young head portrait, as used from 1732 to 1741.

The Royal Mint example is the second, older portrait, used from 1743 to 1751.

You can see both obverse types here:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/provenance-marks-on-british-coins/469

The first portrait here:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1739georgeiicrown.html

and the older portrait here:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1746crownlima.html

Oh, and the eye has suffered some wear.

Maybe he was in a fight!

Howzat?

😎

Chards

While I was looking at the ebay listing, I noticed these:

1188804410_NiceBeautifulCollectibleCoinsonEbay.thumb.jpg.8bd53bf3320279bcce03d7f67b24236f.jpg

Clearly ebay is another world of verbal irony. Everything seems to mean the opposite of its description.

1777 HALF PENNY GB UK KING GEORGE III BEAUTIFUL COLLECTIBLE COIN

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY GB GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY GB GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN CAP2

1797 CARTWHEEL PENNY OF GEORGE III NICE COLLECTIBLE COIN

Nice? No

Collectible? Yes, about as collectable as horse manure for the garden, if you like that sort of thing.

It would be quite as bad, if the appalling seller coin.empire or coin.empire.numismatica...

Business details
Business name: Coin Empire Numismatica
First name: Bela
Surname: Farkas
Address: 12 Victoria Crescent, DE14 2QA Burton-on-Trent, United Kingdom

Seller information
coin.empire (14001)
99.7% positive Feedback...

...  didn't HAVE TO SHOUT IN CAPITAL LETTERS

F.F.S. (For Farkas Sake)!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

That crown looks real to me, glad Lawrence thinks so too. The eye usually wears like that, nothing unusual there, James II coins are much the same. I used to collect 6ds from this era, they seem to wear similarly.

I'd say it a bog standard VF coin.

Edited by SidS