• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 full Soverign vs double?

Bigbug

Hi all, 

I'm starting my gold journey and initially wanted to pick up some random soverigns since I do like the old coims better. Saying that, I don't think I can pass up the opportunity to get some 2022s since they may hold a higher premium. 

I'm looking to pick up either 5 soverigns or a couple doubles and a single. 

What do you guys think would be the most worthwhile? 

Thanks

Full sovereigns tend to be the most popular overall. It seems quite a few people on the forum share the same views about this particular year too.

Providing you don't overpay, I don't think having a double in the stack will do any harm. If buying 5 sovs worth and you want to scratch the double sov itch perhaps one double and 3 full sovs would work?

23 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Full sovereigns tend to be the most popular overall. It seems quite a few people on the forum share the same views about this particular year too.

Providing you don't overpay, I don't think having a double in the stack will do any harm. If buying 5 sovs worth and you want to scratch the double sov itch perhaps one double and 3 full sovs would work?

That was a plan aswell, the doubles look a good size but my worry is they might not hold the Same premium. 

43 minutes ago, Bigbug said:

That was a plan aswell, the doubles look a good size but my worry is they might not hold the Same premium. 

Historically this is the case, but in reality I think the difference in premium will be fairly marginal.

Personally I would like to have the quarter to double 2022 sovereign set for this year, rather than a few singles. Or both if your finances allow, which mine sadly don't!

1 hour ago, Bigbug said:

Hi all, 

I'm starting my gold journey and initially wanted to pick up some random soverigns since I do like the old coims better. Saying that, I don't think I can pass up the opportunity to get some 2022s since they may hold a higher premium. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

46 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Everyone should have a double and 5 quid sov in their life...🙂

33 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Historically this is the case, but in reality I think the difference in premium will be fairly marginal.

Personally I would like to have the quarter to double 2022 sovereign set for this year, rather than a few singles. Or both if your finances allow, which mine sadly don't!

I doubt that the 2022 bullion sovereign range will ever go for very high premiums, when there are proofs.

There should always be enhanced interest and demand for them, from type collectors, so they should always be easy to sell, but many people will have bought them because they are a special year.

Everybody has made good points.

You will not overpay if you buy from a well-known dealer in Blackpool, who should also have some bullion halves in stock soon:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-gold-half-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/15696

but not quarters yet, so you could get 1 double, 2 or 3 sovs, and 1 half.

I hope that helps.

😎

Chards

I suspect it will be a few years before you see any premium on 2022 bullion sovereigns other than a couple of quid, though they will always be easier to sell but that isn't really a problem with any sovereign. 

I would be more tempted with that budget to pick up a 2022 full proof or a 2022 SOTD and a proof half or wait a while and see if you can get the 2022 piedfort when it releases, which I am hoping will be in the £1200-1300 range.

Seen a few 2022 proofs going £650-£715 and in that price range I don't think you can go wrong.

18 hours ago, Orpster said:

I suspect it will be a few years before you see any premium on 2022 bullion sovereigns other than a couple of quid, though they will always be easier to sell but that isn't really a problem with any sovereign. 

I would be more tempted with that budget to pick up a 2022 full proof or a 2022 SOTD and a proof half or wait a while and see if you can get the 2022 piedfort when it releases, which I am hoping will be in the £1200-1300 range.

Seen a few 2022 proofs going £650-£715 and in that price range I don't think you can go wrong.

As long as you don't pay:

£1195.00 from Bournemouth

£1299.00 from "Mayfair"

£99500 from Wallington

£1,099.95 from Stanmore

You should be OK!

😎

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

As long as you don't pay:

£1195.00 from Bournemouth

£1299.00 from "Mayfair"

£99500 from Wallington

£1,099.95 from Stanmore

You should be OK!

😎

More competition savagery from Mr C, but gentlemanly enough not name names!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

6 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

More competition savagery from Mr C, but gentlemanly enough not name names!

I'll leave that open as a competition if you like.

I retained the original fonts.

There were some sillier prices for slabbed ones, but only like-for-like is fair comparison.

To be fair, I think some of the above prices included FREE POSTAGE!

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

To be fair, I think some of the above prices included FREE POSTAGE!

😎

Ok in the spirit of things - I will leave your last line for you to digest....... :P

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Well, I have just received my double sovereign and I must say that it is quite impressive. I think the Mint got the proportions pretty well right. It looks and feels good in the hand (suitably protected). The special 2022 design  stands out as it should. Even the coppery look seems somewhat abated.

I bought a double sovereign  on Sunday night, arrived yesterday. Absolutely love it, nice big lump of gold.

I bought from Atkinsosns, had a look around at prices, really was much of a muchness - didn't expect anything different to be fair.

I think Chards were about £1 or so cheaper Inc delivery, but I have an account with Atkinsosns and not with Chards. So convenience won, if I'm spending nearly £750 then a pound either way is of no consequence.

I would say though that the coin is not perfect. It has a slight hint of what may be a partial fingerprint under certain light, and a couple of other small scuffs, all on the obverse.

It's bullion though...

On 30/06/2022 at 09:16, TheShinyStuff said:

I bought a double sovereign  on Sunday night, arrived yesterday. Absolutely love it, nice big lump of gold.

I bought from Atkinsosns, had a look around at prices, really was much of a muchness - didn't expect anything different to be fair.

I think Chards were about £1 or so cheaper Inc delivery, but I have an account with Atkinsosns and not with Chards. So convenience won, if I'm spending nearly £750 then a pound either way is of no consequence.

I would say though that the coin is not perfect. It has a slight hint of what may be a partial fingerprint under certain light, and a couple of other small scuffs, all on the obverse.

It's bullion though...

Time you had an account with the best!

I'm tempted to say that the RM send their tattier ones to Birmingham, but we have not managed to persuade then to do that yet.

Sounds like your coin is in Royal "Mint Condition", or should that be "Royal Mint Condition"?

The expression "Mint Condition" might need to be redefined!

😎

Chards

On 25/06/2022 at 10:09, Bigbug said:

2022 full Soverign vs double?

Hi all, 

Thanks

I must have missed the oppotunity last time, to do my usual pedantic bit:

Currently, we are giving full soverigns away..

but full sovereigns are normal price!

😎

Chards

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Time you had an account with the best!

I'm tempted to say that the RM send their tattier ones to Birmingham, but we have not managed to persuade then to do that yet.

Sounds like your coin is in Royal "Mint Condition", or should that be "Royal Mint Condition"?

The expression "Mint Condition" might need to be redefined!

😎

Maybe a signing on fee could tempt me...

In all seriousness, I find your site (on mobile) less enjoyable to browse. The 'sort by' function doesn't work properly, if I search gold coins -view all-low to high, then the 8th item on the list is a £150k gold Brits monster box...

Also I prefer the price I see to include tax and postage - cos I'm going to have to pay both anyway. But that's just my preference.

In truth, when I started buying PMs a few years back, Atkinsons better website (in my opinion) won my custom, and as the margins tend to be so similar I stuck with them.

I don't buy so much from them these days, usually just pre-owned stuff that takes my fancy, but some of the premiums are ridiculous now.

9 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Maybe a signing on fee could tempt me...

In all seriousness, I find your site (on mobile) less enjoyable to browse. The 'sort by' function doesn't work properly, if I search gold coins -view all-low to high, then the 8th item on the list is a £150k gold Brits monster box...

Also I prefer the price I see to include tax and postage - cos I'm going to have to pay both anyway. But that's just my preference.

In truth, when I started buying PMs a few years back, Atkinsons better website (in my opinion) won my custom, and as the margins tend to be so similar I stuck with them.

I don't buy so much from them these days, usually just pre-owned stuff that takes my fancy, but some of the premiums are ridiculous now.

You are welcome to pay us a signing on fee if you wish, but we have not yet started charging, even though it is probably well worthwhile.

I see you are in Glasgow, but we won't charge any tax on gold sovereigns. 

As for postage, because we have bricks and mortar, and have had for a long time, unlike many of the internet only newbies, we do have people who visit and collect, so we always show prices without postage.

We do show "Est UK Delivery" on most products, for example:

Quantity Premium % Price Per Item Total Est UK Delivery
£370.29
£370.29 £6.00
£369.59
£1,847.95 £7.00
£369.24
£3,692.40 £8.00
£368.71
£9,217.75 £12.00
£368.36
£18,418.00 £18.00
£367.66
£36,766.00 £30.00
£367.14
£91,785.00 £87.60
£366.61
£183,305.00 £148.60
1000+
£366.43
£366,430.00 £270.60

Where products are subject to VAT, this in normally included, and sometimes we show with and without VAt prices.

We also show percentage premiums to make it easier to see we are the cheapest, altought it is not always easy to see we are the best.

All our coins are guaranteed genuine, which is more than I can say for many of our "competitors". In some cases, it is probably because they can't tell the difference.

I don't think Atkinsons website has ever been better than ours, possibly easier, but not better.

One reason it may be easier than ours could be the smaller number of products.

I also doubt if most of our "competitors'" systems are as secure as ours.

If you do decide to call in, we are much nearer to you than Birmingham.

I will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, mainly for the website comments, which may help to drive improvements.

I / we also contribute much to TSF, and our website has a lot of advice and information, not just a sales pitch.

It is designed to be mobile friendly, unlike our heritage sites, which are still operating, but existed before mobile phones which were portable.

Our world class coin photos are also bigger and better than "A", although like many others, they have used our photos without permission in the past, which I strongly dislike. It also influences my opinion about theie professionalism, trustworthiness, and ethics.

😎

Chards

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

You are welcome to pay us a signing on fee if you wish, but we have not yet started charging, even though it is probably well worthwhile.

I see you are in Glasgow, but we won't charge any tax on gold sovereigns. 

As for postage, because we have bricks and mortar, and have had for a long time, unlike many of the internet only newbies, we do have people who visit and collect, so we always show prices without postage.

We do show "Est UK Delivery" on most products, for example:

Quantity Premium % Price Per Item Total Est UK Delivery
£370.29
£370.29 £6.00
£369.59
£1,847.95 £7.00
£369.24
£3,692.40 £8.00
£368.71
£9,217.75 £12.00
£368.36
£18,418.00 £18.00
£367.66
£36,766.00 £30.00
£367.14
£91,785.00 £87.60
£366.61
£183,305.00 £148.60
1000+
£366.43
£366,430.00 £270.60

Where products are subject to VAT, this in normally included, and sometimes we show with and without VAt prices.

We also show percentage premiums to make it easier to see we are the cheapest, altought it is not always easy to see we are the best.

All our coins are guaranteed genuine, which is more than I can say for many of our "competitors". In some cases, it is probably because they can't tell the difference.

I don't think Atkinsons website has ever been better than ours, possibly easier, but not better.

One reason it may be easier than ours could be the smaller number of products.

I also doubt if most of our "competitors'" systems are as secure as ours.

If you do decide to call in, we are much nearer to you than Birmingham.

I will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, mainly for the website comments, which may help to drive improvements.

I / we also contribute much to TSF, and our website has a lot of advice and information, not just a sales pitch.

It is designed to be mobile friendly, unlike our heritage sites, which are still operating, but existed before mobile phones which were portable.

Our world class coin photos are also bigger and better than "A", although like many others, they have used our photos without permission in the past, which I strongly dislike. It also influences my opinion about theie professionalism, trustworthiness, and ethics.

😎

Thanks for the extensive reply. I was merely giving my opinion on your website, not a critique of your business! I understand and accept all of your points, though I'm not sure of the relevance of me being in Glasgow...

You did not mention the £150k monster box being the 8th cheapest gold coin you have available...🤔

2 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Thanks for the extensive reply. I was merely giving my opinion on your website, not a critique of your business! I understand and accept all of your points, though I'm not sure of the relevance of me being in Glasgow...

You did not mention the £150k monster box being the 8th cheapest gold coin you have available...🤔

Glasgow? - you mentioned tax!

... and Blackpool is closer to you than Birmingham.

... and many locals speak, or at least understand the language.

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

Glasgow? - you mentioned tax!

... and Blackpool is closer to you than Birmingham.

... and many locals speak, or at least understand the language.

😎

Tax - you also sell silver I believe.

Blackpool - Like any self respecting Glaswegian I've been to Blackpool more times than can remember. More times than you've been to Glasgow I'd wager. Next time I'm there I'll definitely come and see the showroom.

Language - I dont find Lancastrians too difficult to understand. 😄

1 hour ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Tax - you also sell silver I believe.

Blackpool - Like any self respecting Glaswegian I've been to Blackpool more times than can remember. More times than you've been to Glasgow I'd wager. Next time I'm there I'll definitely come and see the showroom.

Language - I dont find Lancastrians too difficult to understand. 😄

Silver - yes, with and without tax.

Glasgow - correct, once or twice.

"Next time I'm there I'll definitely come and see the showroom." We're winning you over slowly.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Silver - yes, with and without tax.

Glasgow - correct, once or twice.

"Next time I'm there I'll definitely come and see the showroom." We're winning you over slowly"

😎

I know as a fellow pedant you'll appreciate me pointing out the superfluous inverted comma...

You never had to win me over. I like PMs, you sell PMs - you just have to make your website more to my taste! Showrooms full of shiny, now that's a different matter altogether...

27 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I know as a fellow pedant you'll appreciate me pointing out the superfluous inverted comma...

You never had to win me over. I like PMs, you sell PMs - you just have to make your website more to my taste! Showrooms full of shiny, now that's a different matter altogether...

Correct, " was a typo for !

Our website is better viewed on a PC and hi-res monitor than on a mobile, but then it would be harder to use while driving!

😎

Chards