• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Elizabeth II "Piedfort" Gold Proof Sovereign Platinum Jubilee

Paul

5 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

That's exactly what these sets are for. They aren't an investment, they are a momento. 

I would go so far as to say this is my way of giving her Maj a little tip for good service 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

28 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

For £60 to have as something as a memento for 70 years dedication and service I don't even care if it makes money. I just want it for a part of history!

24 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

That's exactly what these sets are for. They aren't an investment, they are a momento. 

That's what I thought, thanks folks!

6 hours ago, James32 said:

The collector vrs stacker/flipper is quite a silly argument if you ask me ( what you mean you didn't ask?)

Buy a coin and hopefully sell for profit, tomorrow, next week or 10 years. Its how we continue ( all of us ) to move fekin forward.

Here's an idea.. can all the staunch "true" collector's sell me some of their prized older coins at RRP? Then I can become a collector just like you 😁 because I've heard more than once, the difference between a collector and flipper is profit! Let me join the good guys please😂

So for my collection I would like at original retail price, 

Una and the lion gold

sovereigns of all sizes from 1989

Proof gold completer 

Approx 20 x 1oz gold bullion coins from around the world cira 1990 prices.

Thanks in advance. 

@James32 - I think your argument here is a little simplistic.   You certainly have never heard the highlighted bit from me!

I'm a collector of gold, silver and platinum coins and bars (almost all of which are bullion) who also stacks a little bit of gold.  Most of my collection is mainly for my own pleasure of ownership and would only be sold if I fell upon desperately hard times.  

My stack will be sold when and if the spot price of gold makes that a sensible decision economically.  I am not buying to flip, but I am buying to make a profit.  This stack is all bullion (sovereigns, double sovereigns and QBs) and is not particularly large in relation to the collection.

No collector would of course ever sell their coins for RRP unless the RRP is higher than the current market value.

Regarding recent purchases in August and September, I have added four coins to the collection (the 2022 BU quintuple and 3 specific 2022 1oz bullion coins noted in other threads) and two coins to the stack (2 x 2022 double sovereigns, from Chards). 

For both my collection and my stack, I am happy with these decisions given my rationale above.

There's room in our little world for lots of types of stacker and collector.  I hope we stay a happy ship (before the inevitable boating accident, of course...) 😉

1 minute ago, Stuntman said:

There's room in our little world for lots of types of stacker and collector.

That was and is my point in a nutshell. 

There's room for everyone to do as they please, their money so their perogative. My above comments are nothing more than a lighthearted joke with a smidgen of irony! 

I keep reading about these pesky flippers, but without them and say everyone was a collector?, very little people would get access to certain coins. I'm only on about the forum, what goes on in ebay is a different world and downright deplorable, but then again if the buyers could think for themselves and do a little research they could saves themselves money.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I think what I find a little disheartening is when it's definitely the case that some people with the luxury of time and technical opportunity buy certain coins on release, purely with the intention of flipping rather than having any real desire to own the coins for the medium to long term.

I agree that this is a smart and rational thing to do economically, but it does sadden me that true collectors then have to pay secondary market prices for these coins.

Basically, that's why most of my collection is bullion since over the time that I've been collecting PM coins and bars seriously, I did not have that luxury of time and technical opportunity (and sometimes, the money of course!)

Of the post-2016 coins (I started seriously about then) I would have liked an Una (who wouldn't?) and the platinum jubilee coin with the mantled shield and the horseback portrait, but that's about it really.

Room for us all!

10 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I think what I find a little disheartening is when it's definitely the case that some people with the luxury of time and technical opportunity buy certain coins on release, purely with the intention of flipping rather than having any real desire to own the coins for the medium to long term.

Of the post-2016 coins (I started seriously about then) I would have liked an Una (who wouldn't?)

I think the buy to flip craze is dying out as quickly as it arrived. The events of this week have given it a final burst of life, but it will pass.

You needed neither time nor technical opportunity to buy an Una (the coin that is basically responsible for the buy to flip craze), as they took days and weeks to sell out. I foolishly watched them slowly disappear without realising what I was missing.

6 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Basically, that's why most of my collection is bullion since over the time that I've been collecting PM coins and bars seriously, I did not have that luxury of time and technical opportunity (and sometimes, the money of course!)

I can see your point here clearly, very close to my own journey, I've tried over and over but between queue numbers having a starting number of 4000 minimum ( even if i was logged on since the month before 🤣) and when lucky the mint insisted on sending dud coin after coin. That being said though, I've nothing but best wishes for those that got ahead of me.

I've gotten rid of everything thing proof and have accepted that bullion is for me. Less hassle and care needed, when the time comes to sell..I know within a £20 range of what my items are worth. ( with proofs you could be talking £100s and sometimes £1000s in price difference) 

Also though, some of the bullion coins have been smart buys on release over the last 5 or 6 years.  For example the QB Lion, Griffin and Dragon, probably the QB Completers and possibly some others.

And the Una bullion bars were probably smart buys on release too, especially the 1 oz gold in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

I think the buy to flip craze is dying out as quickly as it arrived. The events of this week have given it a final burst of life, but it will pass.

You needed neither time nor technical opportunity to buy an Una (the coin that is basically responsible for the buy to flip craze), as they took days and weeks to sell out. I foolishly watched them slowly disappear without realising what I was missing.

Yes for the silver, definitely not for the gold...

Just now, Stuntman said:

Also though, some of the bullion coins have been smart buys on release over the last 5 or 6 years.  For example the QB Lion, Griffin and Dragon, probably the QB Completers and possibly some others.

And the Una bullion bars were probably smart buys on release too, especially the 1 oz gold in my opinion.

100% agreed. I just prefer bullion, everytime I held a proof recently, it's almost like I went looking for problems due to past experience/chatter on here..too much hassle. 

There is and will be plenty of stunning upcoming bullion coins moving forward,and that will do me.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Someones landed a nice bargain in the past hour, if this listing is genuine 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403881755130

2022 Full sovereign proof for £550 !

Meanwhile, I can’t believe people are playing over £500 for a 2022 Cupronickel BU set but passing over the 2oz silver proof Gothic Crown coins priced much lower. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Meanwhile, I can’t believe people are playing over £500 for a 2022 Cupronickel BU set but passing over the 2oz silver proof Gothic Crown coins priced much lower. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Guessing they haven't associated those coins with Her Maj... 🤷‍♂️ 

and there is probably some FOMO going on in the rush to secure a keepsake - or to make a profit, if you look at it from the sellers perspective - strange times...

Edited by Scootermuppet
spellings

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Someones landed a nice bargain in the past hour, if this listing is genuine 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403881755130

2022 Full sovereign proof for £550 !

That's not a bargain compared with the one they sold a couple of days ago!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2022-Gold-Sovereign-/403878197501

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

That's not a bargain compared with the one they sold a couple of days ago!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2022-Gold-Sovereign-/403878197501

I wonder if they would actually honour that sale though or just cancel the order. I won a gold 3g 2022 Pana about 3weeks ago for £145 but it was cancelled on closing by the seller. 🤷

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

I wonder if they would actually honour that sale though or just cancel the order. I won a gold 3g 2022 Pana about 3weeks ago for £145 but it was cancelled on closing by the seller. 🤷

I don't see why they'd cancel it if they clearly had no idea what it was worth in the first place.

13 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I don't see why they'd cancel it if they clearly had no idea what it was worth in the first place.

If they have no idea of its real value then fair play to whoever bought it. They got a bargain and a half. I do know that there are sellers that will cancel a winning bid though if they never reached their expected price. This could be one of those. 

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

If they have no idea of its real value then fair play to whoever bought it. They got a bargain and a half. I do know that there are sellers that will cancel a winning bid though if they never reached their expected price. This could be one of those. 

I didn't know you could do this on ebay without giving a good reason, do you still have to give one/make one up? When I used it very many years ago I would never cancel a winning bid, even if I made a heavy loss on something.

4 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

It was a buy it now, not an auction.

It may even have sold for less than 365 if they accepted a best offer. Only the original asking price shows when that happens unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I didn't know you could do this on ebay without giving a good reason, do you still have to give one/make one up? When I used it very many years ago I would never cancel a winning bid, even if I made a heavy loss on something.

I've never sold on eBay so I don't know how it works. It has happened to me though.

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It was a buy it now, not an auction.

It may even have sold for less than 365 if they accepted a best offer. Only the original asking price shows when that happens unfortunately.

They posted a proof 2022 at £365 buy it now? Sounds like they never had a clue or it was a jilted lover who sold their partners stuff at a loss for spite/revenge 🤣