• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Birmingham Commonwealth Games 50p collection - any interest...? 🤔

On the subject of numbers of collectors sets available, I think I've worked out what they meant by saying "We'll sell the sets as long as they are available"

Each time someone buys a set of 4 coins, it reduces the amount of single coins available by one each. Once the number of packs sold has reduced the number of any of the available single coins to zero, no more 4 coin packs would be available.

So by that reasoning, the 4 coin collectors sets aren't a specific mintage - which seems to be confirmed by the fact that they've said "It's just the four single coin packs".

Edited by Scootermuppet
spellings

Just now, paulmerton said:

It turns out that the 4-coin set comes in a cardboard slip case like I originally anticipated.

Just goes to show yet again that the people on the phone are rarely privy to product details, and sometimes just make stuff up!

Such a missed opportunity for them - I told the guy I spoke to that I was on a forum, and the members would like to know, could potentially meant more sales if he had been told the correct info and passed it on. Have you found any pictures yet? or just a description? 🤔

11 hours ago, FuntasticFlavor said:

All mine are going straight back tomorrow morning

I have also seen a pride colour 50p that looks alot worse. 

Screenshot_20220622-200405.png

You would think someone at the mint must have noticed that there's an issue... 

Were yours the 4 coin collection? Or was it  a proof coin? 🤔

14 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Were yours the 4 coin collection? Or was it  a proof coin? 🤔

4 coin Bunc collection. I have stopped buying their 50p silver proof, they almost never hold value. This time next year somebody will be selling them on eBay for half price lol

1 hour ago, FuntasticFlavor said:

4 coin Bunc collection. I have stopped buying their 50p silver proof, they almost never hold value. This time next year somebody will be selling them on eBay for half price lol

😂 very probably! - but being born a Brummie, I had to do my Patriotic duty 😏

Plus, Silver is becoming the 'hobby' side of my Stacking, nice to have pieces rather than 'grow in value over time ' pieces, so I won't be buying many Silver proofs tbf...

to be honest, unless i really like the coin, i am not buying either the bunc or silver proof straightaway.   obviously its a gamble its not a new kew but that does seem to be an outlier.  I suspect 95% will be picked up at half price or less within 2 years.

This year I have seen lots of 50p & £2 silver proofs go for as low as £20 on fleabay.  Now ok, a couple may not be the most popular, but this year I have got ( release price in brackets )

2018  Paddington Palace   Silver Proof 26  ( 60 )

2018  Paddington Station  Silver Proof  21  ( 60 )

2018  Peter Rabbit             Silver Proof  20  ( 60 )

2020  RAF Vulcan  Silver Proof  45.44     ( 67.50 )

2018  Captain Cook  Silver Proof  46        ( 67.50 )

2019  Captain Cook  Silver Proof  41        ( 67.50 )

A bit of patience pays off since I have seen just the bunc captain cook 2018 go for £30 plus.

1 hour ago, bluffer said:

to be honest, unless i really like the coin, i am not buying either the bunc or silver proof straightaway.   obviously its a gamble its not a new kew but that does seem to be an outlier.  I suspect 95% will be picked up at half price or less within 2 years.

This year I have seen lots of 50p & £2 silver proofs go for as low as £20 on fleabay.  Now ok, a couple may not be the most popular, but this year I have got ( release price in brackets )

A bit of patience pays off since I have seen just the bunc captain cook 2018 go for £30 plus.

And there's always 2016 Peter Rabbit Silver Proof... 😏

I imagine the people who buy every one possibly end up breaking even with the ones that become really popular? Just a guess, nothing to support that!

The advice I hear a lot on here is probably the best I've heard: buy what you like - and like what you buy... in essence, trying to predict what will become more valuable and sought after is a bit like trying to predict the Stock Market or Crypto. If you like a coin, or it has a sentimental value etc, then go for it. If it turns out to be a sought after coin in years to come, then that's a bonus, if not, you've enjoyed it for all those years, so you haven't lost 😊

3 hours ago, bluffer said:

Bargain for Paddington n Peter Rabbit👍.  I try to resist purchase of new release, but always fail to do so😅😅.

Well, received my 2022 Commonwealth Games 50p's today...

Need to examine them further, but the 4 coin set coins don't look too bad on first inspection - the coloured areas look quite well aligned to the naked eye, as does the colour on the Silver Proof.

However, I believe there's some marks/ debris / dust on the Silver proof? so will have to take a closer look at that when I have the time, probably at the weekend.

The 4 coin set does come in a cardboard outer, will take a picture of that too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2022 at 09:24, Scootermuppet said:

Morning all,

Being a Brummie by birth, I thought I'd see what was available - and most of it still is! 😊

Personally, went for the 4 coin collectors set, and a silver proof 50p. Purely for the collection, not for flippage 😏

Anyone else into 50p's here on the forum? - and is this the right section to post this on...?🤔 happy for the Mods to move if not - Cheers

Bob

The coloured silver proof looks quite nice!

2022SPBiminghamCommonwealthGamesReverseCrop.thumb.jpg.6ef37f4cfe3f07a201dad40f42b01731.jpg

🙂

Chards

Just now, bluffer said:

is the top left of the red short of the line?

Looks like it - I've seen some shocking misalignments on some coins - my Silver proof is pretty accurate tbf... will try and get some pics up - work gone crazy at the minute!

The Bunc coins I have are reasonable too... 🙂

12 hours ago, bluffer said:

is the top left of the red short of the line?

Yes, it looks like it, I had not noticed that, and our photographer had not commented on it.

Well spotted.

It could be a RM guarantee of authenticity.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards