• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin advice - Single 1oz, Sovereigns, or multiple fractions…? 🤔

9 minutes ago, FuntasticFlavor said:

As I am in the UK i should mostly stack royal mint bullion but how often do you guys mix it up and stack foreign bullion like maples, francs, eagles etc

Think there's a lot of people into foreign bullion, American Silver Eagles are pretty popular, Maples, Philharmonics - there's a lot to choose from!

I tend to stick with UK bullion as it's easy to move on when the time comes - most people will recognise it and it's value. I'd say that foreign coinage puts people off as they don't necessarily know what it's worth? 🤔

I mostly stick to UK bullion but I would certainly be keen on adding Buffalos, Maples, Kangaroos (etc), especially if I was stacking rather than collecting, and buying them at similar/lower premiums to UK bullion coins.

I have bought a few on behalf of a family member who wanted a 'world gold'' stack with coins from places they had visited.  It contains Buffalos, Maples, Voyageurs, Kanagroos, Philharmonikers, Britannias, UK Lunars and Queen's Beasts.

Edited by Stuntman

It’s all personal taste. Out side of the UK I love Krugerrands and American stuff..    maples look tragic, Aussie stuff just doesn’t appeal.  Don’t get pandas at all and philharmonics. Meh…. But then I love so called ‘vintage’ US silver so there is no accounting for taste !

Again, thank you all for your comments & suggestions - food for thought indeed!

After a deep cogitation session, I'll be posting a 'Wanted' post over this weekend. Will include some of the things I'd really like and probably not in any particular order - deciding factor will undoubtedly be what free funds i have at any given time... 

I know Wanted posts usually have an expected amount that the person posting wants to pay, but as I probably wont have much of a clue as to what the things I'm after cost, do I still have to put a figure? 🤔 - don't want to put something so low that it puts people off from offering a coin to me! 😲

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

Again, thank you all for your comments & suggestions - food for thought indeed!

After a deep cogitation session, I'll be posting a 'Wanted' post over this weekend. Will include some of the things I'd really like and probably not in any particular order - deciding factor will undoubtedly be what free funds i have at any given time... 

I know Wanted posts usually have an expected amount that the person posting wants to pay, but as I probably wont have much of a clue as to what the things I'm after cost, do I still have to put a figure? 🤔 - don't want to put something so low that it puts people off from offering a coin to me! 😲

A lot of wanted posts dwindle into obscurity because the op doesn't state a approx buy price. 

From a sellers perspective, why would they go to the hassle of digging out a specific coin/take pictures then get lowballed into an angry state🤣

Best advice is search the market for what you're after and jot down the lowest in stock price, then agree to pay ( depending on coin) a percentage under.

For example,  take a 1oz gold brit from tavex £1534 + post... a fair price to offer would be £1520 plus post ( condition depending) 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Bugger - just posted an ad before I'd read this! 🤦

I'd better go take it down then.... 

Don't take it down lol, just edit. 

Just now, Scootermuppet said:

Fair point - have you had a look yet btw...? 🤔

Just now, keep add the way it is, then if you get offers just cross reference with tavex/chards/Atkinsons etc to make sure the price works for you.