• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin advice - Single 1oz, Sovereigns, or multiple fractions…? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Alex944 said:

Though I argue the case that fractions are ''better'' than a full 1oz, having a 1oz coin is a feat of it's own. If you can afford it and are happy to do so, having at least one of them would be great (really, it's just a different feeling holding a 1oz vs 4x 1/4oz in your hand). 

Absolutely! 😁 - think I should aim to get at least one in my stacking journey - even if it is only one!

If you don't currently  have a 1 oz gold coin in your possession, in your position I would be severely tempted to put this extra income into acquiring one, even if you are ultimately looking to liquidate it sometime in the future.

Compared to sovereigns or halves, a 1 oz coin is a proper lump of a thing and beautifully shiny and lustrous in 24 carat form.

I don't think you can go far wrong if you acquired a 1 oz Britannia (probably the cheapest way in if you are buying new), or perhaps buy a design that you like the most - for example either the Royal Arms or the Tudor Beast Lion would be an excellent choice.

However, if quantity and/or liquidity are more important to you, I would agree with the others who have suggested buying 2022 bullion sovereign(s) and/or half-sovereign(s).

Excellent position to be in!

sovs, 1 oz Britannia all great.. or a krug or even an early brit thats 22 carat for that little extra big of weight ..

for practicality its sovs all day long .   

unless of course you can pick up an eagle or buffalo anywhere near spot.... ...  well you can dream. 

32 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

If you don't currently  have a 1 oz gold coin in your possession, in your position I would be severely tempted to put this extra income into acquiring one, even if you are ultimately looking to liquidate it sometime in the future.

Compared to sovereigns or halves, a 1 oz coin is a proper lump of a thing and beautifully shiny and lustrous in 24 carat form.

I don't think you can go far wrong if you acquired a 1 oz Britannia (probably the cheapest way in if you are buying new), or perhaps buy a design that you like the most - for example either the Royal Arms or the Tudor Beast Lion would be an excellent choice.

However, if quantity and/or liquidity are more important to you, I would agree with the others who have suggested buying 2022 bullion sovereign(s) and/or half-sovereign(s).

Excellent position to be in!

Just always buy 'something' there's deals to be had here, bookface, feebay every day. Keep your dollar cost average down. And just follow the best deals of the day, you'll not go wrong. It's worked well for me 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just always buy 'something' there's deals to be had here, bookface, feebay every day. Keep your dollar cost average down. And just follow the best deals of the day, you'll not go wrong. It's worked well for me 

Best piece of advice👆

No matter how small or big , as long as your buying something, less fiat can be squandered. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Best piece of advice👆

No matter how small or big , as long as your buying something, less fiat can be squandered. 

Makes sense, I’ve squandered enough over the years! ☺️ And buying shiny stuff satisfies Retail Therapy needs along with accumulating some wealth for the future - win-win 😁👍

On 19/06/2022 at 20:31, Xander said:

Splash out and buy the 50 Gold Pesos. Awsome coin. You won't regret it.

Little and Large!

Yes , its worth having one of these in your collection. Its a chunky bit of gold though at 21.6ct (900) or 1.2 oz. Its also about the same diameter as a Phili 37mm. Not keen on the tiniest of 'fractionals' in this case the 20th oz Panda. I normally only go as far as 1/4 oz QBs or Brits. Really don't like 1/4oz sovereigns either - so call me Mr Fussy!😝

IMG_E3165 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Little and Large!

Yes , its worth having one of these in your collection. Its a chunky bit of gold though at 21.6ct (900) or 1.2 oz. Its also about the same diameter as a Phili 37mm. Not keen on the tiniest of 'fractionals' in this case the 20th oz Panda. I normally only go as far as 1/4 oz QBs or Brits. Really don't like 1/4oz sovereigns either - so call me Mr Fussy!😝

IMG_E3165 (2).JPG

Sorry to say... I just don't like the design 🤷‍♂️  (cue lots of abuse 😅)

Don't have a 1/20th coin, but started my Shiny Yellow stacking with 1/10 oz coins, so acclimated to smaller coins already... Think I'll probably freak out if/when I get a 1oz coin! Gold overload... 😂

Thank you all for your comments - they've been useful - and in some cases given me a smile 😁

Have been doing my sums for outgoings for next month, and it looks like I'll have to shelve my plans of 1oz ownership for a while longer 😭

Scaling back to a Sovereign or two - still a nice decision to make over what to get, but a little sad that I'll not be able to do it just yet...

Just now, Scootermuppet said:

Thank you all for your comments - they've been useful - and in some cases given me a smile 😁

Have been doing my sums for outgoings for next month, and it looks like I'll have to shelve my plans of 1oz ownership for a while longer 😭

Scaling back to a Sovereign or two - still a nice decision to make over what to get, but a little sad that I'll not be able to do it just yet...

Go half oz ?

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Little and Large!

IMG_E3165 (2).JPG

1_10.jpg

6 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

That may be a possibility... ooh, or a Double Sovereign perhaps...🤔 - Gaaaah!  now I'm going to have start thinking all over again! 😂

You couldn't go wrong with a double sovereign for this year 2022 platinum jubilee, unique design - thats a happy balance and a suitably weighty coin and wont be too dear over spot  

18 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Actually, it's easier if you use one of these*...

image.jpeg.544d9dcd975078205b1cca102ab4c847.jpeg

(*Scanning Electron Microscope)

even 1/40 oz look HUUUUGE under here...

Actual size...

image.jpeg.8fb8a0894fda2cc56aac2a9de64f48c8.jpeg

under the Microscope

image.png.a760261fa6e72d21c57e4e062697bce0.png

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

You couldn't go wrong with a double sovereign for this year 2022 platinum jubilee, unique design - thats a happy balance and a suitably weighty coin and wont be too dear over spot  

🤔 I was just thinking 2022 Double... hmmm....

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

even 1/40 oz look HUUUUGE under here...

Actual size...

image.jpeg.8fb8a0894fda2cc56aac2a9de64f48c8.jpeg

under the Microscope

image.png.a760261fa6e72d21c57e4e062697bce0.png

🤔 I was just thinking 2022 Double... hmmm....

Won't go wrong like Paul said.

I feel like there needs to be some kind of party when the big day comes? 

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Won't go wrong like Paul said.

I feel like there needs to be some kind of party when the big day comes? 

Was thinking it needs to be an 'Event' for me... maybe a trip to Chards? 🤔 - depending on the premiums on the day!

... could always take along the rest of the stack to trade in...?

2 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Was thinking it needs to be an 'Event' for me... maybe a trip to Chards? 🤔 - depending on the premiums on the day!

... could always take along the rest of the stack to trade in...?

Yeah if you live near enough that would be an experience. 

As for taking the rest of stack to trade in? Try on here first lol.

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Yeah if you live near enough that would be an experience. 

As for taking the rest of stack to trade in? Try on here first lol.

No where near, will have to wait for the Train Strikes to finish! - plenty of time to save up... 🙂

And yes I could, but the prices I've paid for my Silver no one would be interested sadly - probably get more trading in! even with the Haircut I'll have to take 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-gold-double-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/15698

5.4% premium for x1 = £742.61  

Not a bad deal 

That seems quite reasonable to be fair...