• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Guess the Silver Content - 1839 Proof Britannia Groat (Fourpence)- Sorry No Prizes!

On a slightly more serious note, NGC / PCGS could offer an XRF analysis option when grading coins.  It would of course be the easiest way to gain a large population of data and would not doubt throw up some surprises.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

So, as the natives are getting restless:

1839SilverProofBritishPre-decimalVictoriaBritanniaGroatPoundSterling4penceCoinCollectableUnitedKingdomaEFtesteranalysiscrop.thumb.jpg.7e185a9e5fa1f26473e543e33bd6873a.jpg

Ag - Silver 999

Nobody got it right.

@James32 even said: "Reason being...its neither .999 .925 .958 and .900 is usually a gold percentage ( or American silver ) that's as far as I got really"

BTW, 9.216 cts weight = 1.8432 grams.

😎

Could you share so insight as to why you think this occurred oh glorious seer of the shiniest realm?

I thought Sterling silver was a standard adhered to purposefully by the Royal Mint, is this a deliberate pure silver issue or were the Mint in fact laissez-faire with their process in the 19th century?

Thanks for everything (except encouraging the suspender pictures from this lot 🙃).

15 minutes ago, Arganto said:

Could you share so insight as to why you think this occurred oh glorious seer of the shiniest realm?

I thought Sterling silver was a standard adhered to purposefully by the Royal Mint, is this a deliberate pure silver issue or were the Mint in fact laissez-faire with their process in the 19th century?

Thanks for everything (except encouraging the suspender pictures from this lot 🙃).

I really don't know.

There is a possibility that the blanks were pickled before striking, to remove any copper at the surface, and this fooling the Niton. Perhaps this is the time to go old-fashioned and revise how to do a specific gravity test.

Or perhaps I could see if a Sigma can tell us anything.

Until I learn more, it will remain a puzzle.

😎

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I really don't know.

There is a possibility that the blanks were pickled before striking, to remove any copper at the surface, and this fooling the Niton. Perhaps this is the time to go old-fashioned and revise how to do a specific gravity test.

Or perhaps I could see if a Sigma can tell us anything.

Until I learn more, it will remain a puzzle.

😎

You could always do a sceance with the Wyons and see if they would be willing to enlighten us. Granted it would be going a little above and certainly beyond...

Cue: Eerie music.

Interesting.

There are two types of 1839 proof groats - see attached link to London Coins sales results - including the plain edge, coin alignment (inverted axis) type.  But no mention of the silver content, since they are unlikely to have tested them.

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Groat+1839+Proof&category=9&searchtype=1