• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1654 Commonwealth of England Hammered Silver Halfcrown II.VI

1654 Commonwealth of England Hammered Silver Halfcrown II.VI

There was something in the news recently about teaching Latin in schools. Nearly 400 years ago, we were using it, or at least Roman Numerals,  to show coin  denominations, as evidenced by this halfcrown:

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFinerevcrop.thumb.jpg.697c6ded370bf20ec0bc3f158a50f795.jpg

Although under Oliver Cromwell, the Latin legends had been exchanged for English ones, as in GOD WITH US,  although some people would read it as GOD WITH VS, with Sun mintmark.

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFineobvvcrop.thumb.jpg.61a6549a8667548f11e08dce1f2609e2.jpg

Reverse:

THE COMMONWEALTH OF ENGLAND

For some reason, Doug thought it might look better with some colour:

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFineobvcolouredcrop.thumb.jpg.68ef64b0fd8a6924269c167925a732bb.jpg

Who wants to go back to Imperial measures, and pre-decimal £.s.d. coinage?

12.5 pence better?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There was something in the news recently about teaching Latin in schools. Nearly 400 years ago, we were using it, or at least Roman Numerals,  to show coin  denominations, as evidenced by this halfcrown:

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFinerevcrop.thumb.jpg.697c6ded370bf20ec0bc3f158a50f795.jpg

Although under Oliver Cromwell, the Latin legends had been exchanged for English ones, as in GOLD WITH US,  although some people would read it as GOLD WITH VS, with Sun mintmark.

Doesn't it say "God" rather than "Gold"?

On 16/06/2022 at 18:24, LawrenceChard said:

Although under Oliver Cromwell, the Latin legends had been exchanged for English ones, as in GOD WITH US,  although some people would read it as GOD WITH VS, with Sun mintmark.

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFineobvvcrop.thumb.jpg.61a6549a8667548f11e08dce1f2609e2.jpg

Reverse:

THE COMMONWEALTH OF ENGLAND

For some reason, Doug thought it might look better with some colour:

1654SilverGradedCommonwealthPeriodPoundSterlingHalfCrownCoinSingleCollectableUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintgFineobvcolouredcrop.thumb.jpg.68ef64b0fd8a6924269c167925a732bb.jpg

Who wants to go back to Imperial measures, and pre-decimal £.s.d. coinage?

12.5 pence better?

😎

Aren’t we still using Roman numerals today on our coinage and notes by referring to HM The Queen as ‘Elizabeth II’? 

But I appreciate your post is about denomination.

9 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Aren’t we still using Roman numerals today on our coinage and notes by referring to HM The Queen as ‘Elizabeth II’? 

But I appreciate your post is about denomination.

We are indeed.

I gleaned considerable understanding of English grammar, and other languages from our (sub-optimal) Latin lessons at school, and think Latin should continue to be taught to many or most. The chief downside is we could end up with more Boris Johnsons.

Although my post was partially about the denomination, it was intended to be wide ranging.

Slightly odd to get rid of the elitist Latin and foreign language on the coinage, yet still retain Roman numerals for the denomination, rather paradoxical I think.

😎

Chards

We also retain inscriptions that are Latin, or abbreviations of the Latin, on most current UK coins.

I too studied Latin at school to O Level (that of itself dates me) and it stood me in good stead for other subjects, and also my subsequent degree in Law.  After graduation I did not pursue a career in the legal profession, but I thoroughly enjoyed studying law.