• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum price variance

Can't help but notice that, whilst silver & gold live spot prices are pretty much consistent amongst dealers, platinum seems to have a huge variance on this site.

As i'm typing, the TSF banner is showing £756 / ounce whilst the other major dealers are showing £820- £825. Is there a reason for this ? 

I've noticed the same over the past few weeks or so, and think that whatever is driving the price updating for platinum on this site must have a bug in it of some description.  Certainly the prices of platinum coins/bars on the dealers' sites are consistent with the higher price (£820 or so rather than £755 or so), and so is the price of my ETF investing in platinum (SPLT).

So in summary: the current price of platinum does appear to be significantly higher than is shown here.  Good news if you already hold platinum, less so if you are looking to buy!

Margins on platinum are way too high when compared to gold.
In addition VAT at 20% on top of spot + VAT on the margin.
Some will say it is supply and demand but that falls flat on its face when you get a lousy buy price from dealers.
If a dealer paid 98% spot and sold with 5% markup over spot the platinum would turn over the same day.
My conclusion is profiteering because you can.

7 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Can't help but notice that, whilst silver & gold live spot prices are pretty much consistent amongst dealers, platinum seems to have a huge variance on this site.

As i'm typing, the TSF banner is showing £756 / ounce whilst the other major dealers are showing £820- £825. Is there a reason for this ? 

The buy price for spot platinum is around $1035 - so let's round that up to a round £830. This is the spot market buy price.
If one were to give the mint / dealer / transport blah blah premium 10% that would make it £913.
That with VAT at 20% on top that makes it £1095.

i see the price of new 1 oz Royal Mint platinum Britannia is £1,087.55 - (£906.29 ex VAT)
https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-platinum-britannia-one-ounce-bullion-coin/15941

So the mint / dealer / transport blah blah premium before VAT = £906.26 - £830.00 = £76.26 which is £76.26 / £830.00 - a 9.1% premium.

i don't know what the dealer's cost is in hand but it would not surprise me if Chard were making about 5% premium. It doesn't look like our Blackpool friend is making a big profit margin on these new coins. i have a few platinum coins but compared with gold and silver it a non event. From my experience the volumes just aren't there is platinum and in palladium i suspect they are almost non existent. That isn't an environment to make money.
Perhaps @LawrenceChard would like to comment.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

7 hours ago, TeaTime said:

It's probably mainly down to some latency or caching in the different price feeds. As platinum is dealet in far lower volume and frequencies, it probably doesn't get noticed and corrected as quickly as gold or silver.

My TSF price feed shows in USD, so currently PLATINUM  947.11 USD. I have not tried to convert it into GBP or compare.

Probably worth you tagging in an Admin, so there are aware.

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

Some will say it is supply and demand but that falls flat on its face when you get a lousy buy price from dealers.
If a dealer paid 98% spot and sold with 5% markup over spot the platinum would turn over the same day.

I have mentioned, many times, that platinum is more expensive to process, for refiners, mints, etc.

It also get traded in much lower volumes, so commodity market spreads are almost certainly higher, although I have not checked.

@ChardsCoinandBullionDealer would snatch your hand off for any secondary market, special scheme platinum bullion or collectable, at 100% of intrinsic.

As we don't get enough of it, we would not aim to turn it over same day. Would you sell plat at 5% premium.

I don't think I could persuade Rishi to abolish the VAT on platinum and silver, but I feel sure that if he or his wife was investing in platinum, they would do so for offshore storage, and legally avoid the VAT.

😎

Chards

17 minutes ago, sixgun said:

The buy price for spot platinum is around $1035 - so let's round that up to a round £830. This is the spot market buy price.
If one were to give the mint / dealer / transport blah blah premium 10% that would make it £913.
That with VAT at 20% on top that makes it £1095.

i see the price of new 1 oz Royal Mint platinum Britannia is £1,087.55 - (£906.29 ex VAT)
https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-platinum-britannia-one-ounce-bullion-coin/15941

So the mint / dealer / transport blah blah premium before VAT = £906.26 - £830.00 = £76.26 which is £76.26 / £830.00 - a 9.1% premium.

i don't know what the dealer's cost is in hand but it would not surprise me if Chard were making about 5% premium. It doesn't look like our Blackpool friend is making a big profit margin on these new coins. i have a few platinum coins but compared with gold and silver it a non event. From my experience the volumes just aren't there is platinum and in palladium i suspect they are almost non existent. That isn't an environment to make money.
Perhaps @LawrenceChard would like to comment.

"...but it would not surprise me if Chard were making about 5% premium. 

premium margin!

"It doesn't look like our Blackpool friend is making a big profit margin on these new coins."

Thanks, certainly not when considering the Minimum Order Quantities, and VAT slowing UK and EU sales.

Platinum is cheap compared with Gold though.

😎

Chards

41 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

"...but it would not surprise me if Chard were making about 5% premium. 

premium margin!

"It doesn't look like our Blackpool friend is making a big profit margin on these new coins."

Thanks, certainly not when considering the Minimum Order Quantities, and VAT slowing UK and EU sales.

Platinum is cheap compared with Gold though.

😎

your margin is our premium.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I disagree.

If I / we pay 5% premium from the Mint, and sell at 10 premium, our margin is (about) 5%, but the premium you pay is 10%.

A lot of people conflate premium, margin, and spread.

Perhaps i should have said your margin is part of our premium. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

But margin/spread on PT is generally much lower than Silver

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024