• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Austrian Gold 4 Ducat Coin - Anyone Want to Guess the Date?

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 22:04, LawrenceChard said:

Austrian Gold 4 Ducat Coin - Anyone Want to Guess the Date?

austrian4ducatobversecrop.thumb.jpg.e7c0a28ca8831d9ddeb35916b13d70ea.jpg

No prizes, just for the kudos!

On 09/05/2022 at 22:18, Norskgeld said:

1915?

On 10/05/2022 at 00:20, StackemHigh said:

On 10/05/2022 at 01:51, LemmyMcGregor said:

1867, and a beer would be the least 🤣

On 10/05/2022 at 21:46, dikefalos said:

Date error 1951?

On 11/05/2022 at 07:01, Bixley said:

1591?

On 11/05/2022 at 08:34, Petra said:

Some time between 1920 and 1936 but dated 1915

On 12/05/2022 at 02:52, ryanp007 said:

On 12/05/2022 at 08:45, SidS said:

Things seem to have gone quiet on this, so...

Time to reveal...

1879austrian4ducatreversecrop.thumb.jpg.f5a34b6759a61f245661b6a60add9d17.jpg

Reverse of pierced 1879 Austrian 4 Ducats

I thought it worthwhile doing an XRF test:

1879austrian4ducattesteranalysiscrop.thumb.jpg.1d7e6931427b22528509060fb1008b12.jpg

From which we can say the gold content is approximately 99%.

😎

Chards

29 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Things seem to have gone quiet on this, so...

Time to reveal...

1879austrian4ducatreversecrop.thumb.jpg.f5a34b6759a61f245661b6a60add9d17.jpg

Reverse of pierced 1879 Austrian 4 Ducats

I thought it worthwhile doing an XRF test:

1879austrian4ducattesteranalysiscrop.thumb.jpg.1d7e6931427b22528509060fb1008b12.jpg

😎

Whatever age, it is a nice looking coin. About how much would a hole in it like that devalue it by?

44 minutes ago, Petra said:

Whatever age, it is a nice looking coin. About how much would a hole in it like that devalue it by?

It's difficult to know exactly.

While I like to see original mintage coins of restrike issues, I don't feel there is a strong market for them, which is regrettable in many ways.

It possibly devalues it to a price similar to a 1915 restrike.

I suspect some people would prefer a "perfect" 1915, rather than a holey 1879 or other original date.

Similarly, I don't know enough about original Maria Theresa thalers. for many years I thought all the 1780 dated ones were restrikes, but some are not.

There was at least one "paper" published about them, followed by an excellent book A Silver Legend: The Story of the Maria Theresa Thaler.

Chards

8 hours ago, Petra said:

Unfortunately, a holed specimen loses almost all its numismatic value. On the other hand, there seems to be more holed, repaired, ex-mounted or otherwise damaged 4 ducats (original strikes) on the market than pristine ones, so sometimes collectors have no other choice but accept a coin like this in their collection, at least until a better specimen appears on the market.

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Well, considering that it should be just .986, the results are less precise than I would expect...

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

It's difficult to know exactly

While I like to see original mintage coins of restrike issues, I don't feel there is a strong market for them, which is regrettable in many ways.

I suspect some people would prefer a "perfect" 1915, rather than a holey 1879 or other original date.

You mean you don't see strong market for original strikes? Or just those that are holed? In my numismatic circles, original strikes are always welcome - although, preferably not holed. By the way, is this one for sale?

It's difficult to know exactly.

Similarly, I don't know enough about original Maria Theresa thalers. for many years I thought all the 1780 dated ones were restrikes, but some are not.

There was at least one "paper" published about them, followed by an excellent book A Silver Legend: The Story of the Maria Theresa Thaler.

I will start the bidding at one soccer ball 😁

Strangely enough, it is more or less true that all 1780 MT talers are restrikes, i.e. minted later than in 1780, which was the year of MT's death. However, some restrikes are much earlier than others, as the coin has been produced almost without interruption since then until today. Those first restrikes are often referred to as original strikes, which is not completely correct. I guess, the right term should be something like "original restrike"...

49 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

Strangely enough, it is more or less true that all 1780 MT talers are restrikes, i.e. minted later than in 1780, which was the year of MT's death. However, some restrikes are much earlier than others, as the coin has been produced almost without interruption since then until today. Those first restrikes are often referred to as original strikes, which is not completely correct. I guess, the right term should be something like "original restrike"...

"Original restrike" must be an oxymoron!

😎

49 minutes ago, ryanp007 said:

I will start the bidding at one soccer ball 😁

We were expecting a load more...!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 hour ago, CollectForFun said:

Well, considering that it should be just .986, the results are less precise than I would expect...

You mean you don't see strong market for original strikes? Or just those that are holed? In my numismatic circles, original strikes are always welcome - although, preferably not holed. By the way, is this one for sale?

I had forgotten they were .986, until I looked them up later, but .989 and 991 are close enough results. It is quite possible that they we made with a positive tolerance, by which I mean more thatn the specified content.

We don't see many original Austrian 4 ducats, so are not fully aware of the market, but they are probably in greater demand in Austria and thereabouts.

(Almost) everything is for sale, but I don't think this coin has yet made it onto the website. We do have a large number of interesting coins which are quietly awating cataloguing.

😎

4 hours ago, dicker said:

Sorry for being late to the party!

As Boris probably said!

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, SidS said:

The genuine 1780 thalers are quite expensive iirc.

The original ones are.

Don't forget, the restrikes are also genuine.

I am aware that many ebay sellers describe fakes rather euphemistically as restrikes, but they are wrong.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

The original ones are.

Don't forget, the restrikes are also genuine.

I am aware that many ebay sellers describe fakes rather euphemistically as restrikes, but they are wrong.

Lmfao. So true. Just because some guy made it in his basement out of brass doesnt qualify it as a restrike 😂