• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice sought on investing in silver

I’m stacking sovereigns atm and also thinking about investing in silver too. I’m liking the 1oz Brits but unsure if there’s any real investment value what with them currently being around £25 quid a pop. I cant see much of a return in 10 or 20 years time. And I don’t want to have to pay for storage on a load of silver that wont give me much profit. Any thoughts by silver stackers? Bear in mind I’m new at this game and still finding my PM investing feet lol. To summarise my post, is silver worth stacking?

1 minute ago, GoldDabbler said:

I’m stacking sovereigns atm and also thinking about investing in silver too. I’m liking the 1oz Brits but unsure if there’s any real investment value what with them currently being around £25 quid a pop. I cant see much of a return in 10 or 20 years time. And I don’t want to have to pay for storage on a load of silver that wont give me much profit. Any thoughts by silver stackers? Bear in mind I’m new at this game and still finding my PM investing feet lol. To summarise my post, is silver worth stacking?

What's more likely in 10 years....gold at 3k or silver at £40 but selling for £50 ? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

What's more likely in 10 years....gold at 3k or silver at £40 but selling for £50 ? 

I'd like to imagine silver increasing in value due to the state of the world but really have no idea either way. I'm tempted on a punt of stashing a couple of silver one ouncers away each month in blind hope, but then again why waste the money when it can go into gold. Rambling thoughts from me there. Clear as mud :D 

1 minute ago, GoldDabbler said:

I'd like to imagine silver increasing in value due to the state of the world but really have no idea either way. I'm tempted on a punt of stashing a couple of silver one ouncers away each month in blind hope, but then again why waste the money when it can go into gold. Rambling thoughts from me there. Clear as mud :D 

Wouldn't really be wasting imho, can't see it going much lower and the miners still be able to dig due to inflation. 

32 minutes ago, Rains said:

I don't  know much about it my self but my gut feeling tells me silver is worth more per ounce then its currently  listed for due to manipulation  with paper silver others will be able to better explain it 

So tempting. I've got a few silver Brits already from the RM and they sure are pretty. Pretty enough to build a stack though? Choices choices.

5 minutes ago, GoldDabbler said:

So tempting. I've got a few silver Brits already from the RM and they sure are pretty. Pretty enough to build a stack though? Choices choices.

For every 1oz of gold stack 10oz of silver and watch your stack and enjoyment grow rapidly....worse case scenario if you don't like then sell 

Au and Ag are both a hobbie for me as and when I have any spare pocket money at the end of the month.

If all goes well and I don't have to flip anything the kids get a nice gift at some point i.e. towards a house.

I started with a few Oz's of Brits but moved towards Sov's as soon as I realised premiums and VAT make physical extremely difficult as any kind of investment.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

Take this with a pinch of salt, I am green and bought my first piece literally a month ago on the 28th of March, there could be dynamics that I haven't encountered yet.

I have just recently spoken against Silver, I don't like the premiums and I feel that I am better served by Sovereign to startup. My point is that, for someone that has just got into the game, before getting into gambling I want to get something solid and Sovereign suit me. Gold is comfort and liquidity, Silver is fun and gamble, and it's pretty, oh my God is pretty. There are some interesting replying about Silver investment in the thread.

The way I see it I am buying Gold to be my own bank, I need to save and I don't want it all in cash, so am I looking at diversifying my savings and this is were Gold entered the picture. At the same time I want something that, should it be needed NOW and lacking the time to convert appropriately I wouldn't suffer much of a loss. You could buy a Sovereign now for 370 and sell it in 5 minutes at a shop for 355 and lose 4%, if you were to buy a 1oz Silver Britannia now at 25 (buying bulk) you'd make 18.50 at a shop in 5 minutes and lose 25%, you have to aim at very long time and pray for that price to explode.

I am obviously talking about an exceptional event, most likely you'd have some cash first to use and you'd get rid first of what can go quickly while you post the Silver on here or eBay to make a better price and recover VAT, was just to make a point.

Consider also the storage required, a Monster box of Silver (500 coins) equates to 37 Sovereign.

If I was in a position where I was happy with my savings and wanted Silver as an opportunity, having the space I would look at scraps, there is an interesting post by Stefffana on the topic and I am tempted to get a furnace in to have a bit of fun. In alternative I would probably look into vaulted bars above 1kg, vaulted to avoid VAT and over 1kg to keep the premiums down.

Storage is not that expensive from what I've seen, Chards offers storage on Silver for 0.6%+VAT, a couple of kilos of Silver would cost you a tenner per year in Storage.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

2 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

You could buy a Sovereign now for 370 and sell it in 5 minutes at a shop for 355 and lose 4%, if you were to buy a 1oz Silver Britannia now at 25 (buying bulk) you'd make 18.50 at a shop in 5 minutes and lose 25%, you have to aim at very long time and pray for that price to explode.

This scenario though is a mugs scenario, most people who go into investing in PM's have an idea how it works and I'd say with confidence that not many, if at all any members on here would sell in a shop unless desperate, you could even liquify on here at a loss and still make more than the 355/18.50 at current spot prices of course.... 

but thinking of sovs, it was only a few weeks ago you could buy a sov off Harrington and Byrne for £319.99 then again at £329.99.... things can and do change both ways... if I bought a sov today at £370.00 it will be kept until i could at least break even if wanting to move it on.... gold is high atm so its a waiting game..

but i do get your drift, just dont get suckered in to sell back to a dealer or worse... a pawbroker!

and there are cheaper ways to get silver Brits than buying off the RM... and not necessarily having to buy in bulk.. 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

49 minutes ago, Gordy said:

This scenario though is a mugs scenario, most people who go into investing in PM's have an idea how it works and I'd say with confidence that not many, if at all any members on here would sell in a shop unless desperate, you could even liquify on here at a loss and still make more than the 355/18.50 at current spot prices of course....

I did say the same thing in my next paragraph and stated that I don't see it occurring and was merely making a point, which is that, when considering pure value, you are starting behind.

3 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

I am obviously talking about an exceptional event, most likely you'd have some cash first to use and you'd get rid first of what can go quickly while you post the Silver on here or eBay to make a better price and recover VAT, was just to make a point.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

25 minutes ago, fireblade4life said:

Defo worth the investment in my view, I bought most of my silver stash in 2015 (spot was around £10 per oz) and it has almost doubled for me since then.

Just don't do the N00b mistake in and buy it with VAT (gosh I learnt the hard way 😕)  

Did you sell?

42 minutes ago, fireblade4life said:

Tbh I’ve also added a couple pieces recently too 😅

When I first joined the forum, there were all these experienced members that kept saying to me "pound cost average in". I never could get my head around it and why would someone buy when the prices are so high. I think I was already there in the way I approached the market but not to the same extremes as some (no money) but I like to think I pound cost average in and pound cost average out. It's all about time in the market rather than timing the market. Like others have said "it's a hobby" how long will we wait for the prices to hit £11 per Oz again? 

As for is silver worth stacking? Seems a strange question put towards the members of "the silver forum".

23 hours ago, GoldDabbler said:

I cant see much of a return in 10 or 20 years time.

Hey GoldDabbler,

The great thing about the forum, as you've already witnessed, is that there are tons of folks primed to help out the noob. Of which, I am one.

Rather than just repeat what's already been said by others, the crux of the thing for me boils down to this bit of your original post (quoted).

I'm not stacking because I want to see a return on the investment over the next 10 or 20 years, per se.  Instead, I'm one of those that believes stacking is a way to 'preserve' wealth. There are countless ways to invest or speculate in things that will net a better yield than precious metals - each with their own risk profile naturally. But because I'm looking for protection rather than growth (although growth would be great!), stacking is a winning play for me.

And if you believe as I do, that it's a hedge against inflation, then that in itself represents an element of growth. Someone above used the 'be your own bank' line and that's a useful way of approaching it. Others may talk about 'how you pay yourself'. Your work pays you in FIAT currency, and each month you pay yourself an element of that in gold or silver.

My favourite way to think about it is, if I'm going to buy myself something, I could be making way worse decisions than to buy myself money.

And to your other point - Gold because it's sensible. Silver because it's fun.

Good luck.

FNF.

5 hours ago, FourNinesFine said:

Hey GoldDabbler,

The great thing about the forum, as you've already witnessed, is that there are tons of folks primed to help out the noob. Of which, I am one.

Rather than just repeat what's already been said by others, the crux of the thing for me boils down to this bit of your original post (quoted).

I'm not stacking because I want to see a return on the investment over the next 10 or 20 years, per se.  Instead, I'm one of those that believes stacking is a way to 'preserve' wealth. There are countless ways to invest or speculate in things that will net a better yield than precious metals - each with their own risk profile naturally. But because I'm looking for protection rather than growth (although growth would be great!), stacking is a winning play for me.

And if you believe as I do, that it's a hedge against inflation, then that in itself represents an element of growth. Someone above used the 'be your own bank' line and that's a useful way of approaching it. Others may talk about 'how you pay yourself'. Your work pays you in FIAT currency, and each month you pay yourself an element of that in gold or silver.

My favourite way to think about it is, if I'm going to buy myself something, I could be making way worse decisions than to buy myself money.

And to your other point - Gold because it's sensible. Silver because it's fun.

Good luck.

FNF.

Gold because it’s sensible, silver because it’s fun is one of the best comments I’ve seen on the forum.  
Like many I bought my silver from internet dealers to start with (big mistake) now I buy from this forum and some independent shops and sellers.
Gold I almost always buy from dealers because as a newbie I am still a bit cautious.  

I have set a target price for silver and will pretty much buy as much as I can at that price and accept that it means sometimes I have to just sit it out,,,,, but to for me (strangely) I actually like looking at silver more than gold!

1 minute ago, scotwasp said:

Gold because it’s sensible, silver because it’s fun is one of the best comments I’ve seen on the forum.  
Like many I bought my silver from internet dealers to start with (big mistake) now I buy from this forum and some independent shops and sellers.
Gold I almost always buy from dealers because as a newbie I am still a bit cautious.  

I have set a target price for silver and will pretty much buy as much as I can at that price and accept that it means sometimes I have to just sit it out,,,,, but to for me (strangely) I actually like looking at silver more than gold!

ditto, we all know the value of gold but the aesthetics of silver is something else... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.