• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why is Copper Bullion being offered as a precious metal?

Excuse me if this question is too elementary, but I honestly am dumbfounded by seeing Copper bullion offered as an investment.

My Dad was in the salvage business long ago and copper was a premium metal for scrap. That was my introduction to copper's value, good prices paid at the scrap yard for copper pipe, wire and fittings. This was also the place we sold junk car batteries, aluminum cans and misc other scrap metals. So my introduction into copper had nothing to do with the word "precious" and you can imagine my amazement when I saw the copper bullion section on the coin dealers websites.

So, please, if you would be so kind, school me on what I am missing? I see copper trading here around $2 a pound and then a 1 pound copper bar for "investment" from the coin dealers is running around $6.50 ????

I have to be missing something, aren't I ???

You are missing nothing, it's just that there are some people who are quite happy to to fall for some clever marketing ploy. 

Personally i would never pay any premium for any copper "bullion". Luckily in the UK we are able to "stack" copper if we are so inclined for around about spot value, by keeping hold of old one pence and two pence coins that are still in circulation.

Unlike in the US, where you can still find silver in your change, we in the UK have to make do with the odd copper coin.

I've bought copper bullion bars from Geiger-Edelmetalle, all sizes up to the 5kg bar which arrives next week.

I never bought them for investment but for display in my living room where they are stacked up, one ounce at the top & the 5kg at the bottom of the pile. To me, it's a nice feature and gets visitors talking about them but there's no way I would consider buying any more for investment as I have a couple of buckets of scrap copper kicking about that Ive managed to collect over the years for nothing.

The premiums for a 1oz copper coin from them surprises me, not good for investment purposes as I'd say they'd be hard to move on at that price.

On 6/10/2016 at 14:08, MickB said:

I never bought them for investment but for display in my living room where they are stacked up, one ounce at the top & the 5kg at the bottom of the pile.

Sorry for my lapse of sticking with posting in this thread.

I probably should make a disclosure/confession that I found the copper section while looking for an inexpensive item to push my order into free shipping. So I looked around and found the 1 pound copper bar selling for $6.63 which got me free shipping and also was about the same as paying a shipping charge ($5.95) if I didn't buy it. When I viewed it I felt it would make a cool desk ornament and to that, it really does the job for me!

So MickB...... I hear you, 5kg of copper bar has to be super cool !!!

My only other copper purchase was again to get the free shipping and this time I was less than a dollar away, so have ordered a 1 oz copper round for $.99. I suppose I'll either have it here on the desk too, or maybe give it to my granddaughter, depending of what she thinks of it.  :D

Thanks everyone for your opinions. They echo what I had already felt. But..... I didn't want to miss an opportunity, if copper really was one. 

I have two buckets with lids at work in my lock up, one for copper and one for brass.I am trying to fill them and put away for a rainy day.I also have a large bag for cords cut from electrical goods that are thrown out.

Its all free money and will be turned into silver or gold at some point.

In the US the dealers are trying to push 1 ounce copper rounds with coin designs for $1.50 each. No way you will ever turn a profit or even get your money back. Can't give them to the kids to play with cause they tarnish too quick. 

Greed runs rampant

Wonder if pamp will start selling copper bars.  Only could imagine what the premiums would be.

Would probably be better off going to a scrap yard and buying some nice copper blocks while the price is lower and storing them at the back of the shed if you want copper.

The yard will sell anything to you as long as they turn a profit.

I sold some spot welding heavy copper buzz bars once, they where lovely, part of me wishes i kept them but i did buy silver eagles with the money. 

My copper order arrived today minus the 5 kilo bar:angry:

Got 4 x 1oz copper bars and 2 x 500 gram bars. This order is taking way longer than expected.

Had to translate; 'Ruckstand' to see what it meant as they had this printed on the receipt along the 5 kilo bar description. I've emailed them to ask what's happened so hopefully it won't be too long before it arrives.

Today Geiger replied to my email request regarding the 5kg copper bar whereabouts.

They said the machine for the 5kg copper bar broke and it will be at least three weeks before a replacement part from Italy arrives. :unsure:

They did say they can dispatch 5x 1 kilo bars instead but I said I can wait. I'm not giving up on it now.!

• 2 years later...

The copper bars look pretty, but should be viewed as mainly for show, not investment. This is because these bars that are sold by bullion dealers are massively overpriced, and you would not in a hundred years get back your money that you paid for them -- bear in mind that the spot price for copper is around £3 per kilogram ... also, nobody is going to buy your copper bars, except for fellow stackers perhaps on Ebay. So, copper is definitely not something that can be turned into silver or gold later on. Unless you have rooms full of it perhaps. But even then, you would struggle to find a buyer for all that.

Copper "bullion" and coins being sold online is primarily a money-making con enterprise.

Scrap copper and aluminium paid for our works Christmas and family day parties. Rewiring substations yielded a good bonus.

A pile of copper in the lounge would just remind me of work :wacko:

How many sintered silver contacts I’ve thrown in the bin over the years, I dread to think.

Copper isn't a precious metal, but it is a beautiful metal.  

As for stacking it, here in the US I gather up any pre-1982 pennies I can find, and keep them in the stack.  Doesn't cost anything but the price of the tubes I bought for that purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought a few copper rounds to match existing silver rounds i have. I know they're not an investment but i like to be able to handle (and sometimes fondle) them knowing i'm not going to lose any value....

I can afford the odd £1.50 here and there !

The answer:

Copper fulfill a characteristic category of noble metal status. 

In physics, a noble metal is one which has filled electronic d-bands. According to this definition, only gold, silver and copper are noble metals.

If one (Cu) has what it takes to pass through the doors of an elite club, hanging around inside makes others believe one (Cu) could be an elite 😏

Do not buy copper rounds, if you want to invest in copper you should buy scrap or buy a miner!  Plus time your purchase copper is one of the most important industrial metals the price dips and rises with demand from mainly China. 

There are indeed some monsters out there. Good book ends and doorstops.

2007-kilo-bullion-bar-999-copper_1_e6948bda370d78afdb698f3bed6b99de.jpg.3aa1303c6aacf63cfff355c57c768244.jpg 

10-kilo-copper-bullion-bar-999-pure-polished_1_8dfddcfaf6d17b3dcc950af56defcb7d.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

WoW now that IS a big monster , there is something really beautiful  about the copper reflection giving everything a warm glow . Where can you buy that size ingot in Europe or the UK.😎😍

I like the copper rounds that match my silver rounds. For example, just ordered the 5 oz aztec calendar and 5 oz copper version for a really nice contrast in the display. TBH, its less about metal stacking and more about creating a profitable product that can leverage current minting infrastructure. The melting characteristics and mass of copper (not to mention abundance/price) make it a natural choice to add an extra $1 premium for a matching silver product. Fair enough - I like 'em. 

But if I were looking for purely industrial metals to stack, I'd consider the (less-toxic, more stable) rare earth elements. Been thinking of picking up some Hafnium, decent play on the nuclear and semiconductor markets, but in reality I'd just like the looks of it among my other metals. 

I agree for the most part that copper is a waste of money. However, I have bought some semi collectible copper rounds, carried them around for awhile and they toned up nicely. I was able to sell them on ebay for $10 which is great seeing how I paid $1 for them. There is some options to move copper but you are not going to get rich...

Archived