• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Visited

20 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Another visit to the stack today, to play musical coins - Platinum 1/10th Brit came out as it's sold and 3 and a half Sovs go in..

A 2022 loose Full sovereign, and two Gillicks (1963 & 64) taking my Gillick set up to half way complete - thanks to @brnlx639 for the Gillicks.

And a 2022 half sovereign in blister pack...

IMG_20221004_123002707.thumb.jpg.755427229ca2f3d66f48db6bd5c52210.jpg

Which means I now only need a Double 2022 sovereign in a blister pack for the four coin set... And they're out of stock at the Royal Mint... Typical! 🙄

IMG_20221004_123217899.thumb.jpg.f49b516e7a7d28124b20564f8356dbc5.jpg

The three coins do look good together though 😁

Just seen someone mention the doubles are back in stock at RM 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Just seen someone mention the doubles are back in stock at RM 👍🏼

Really? Ok - Thought I'd check again... I have the link on 'Speed Dial'! 😅

I've requested an email when they are though...

image.thumb.png.e159e3e90b521a4f0bc92d5ec6610a0e.png

Might it have been the 'loose' Double Sovereigns perhaps? 🤔

36 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Really? Ok - Thought I'd check again... I have the link on 'Speed Dial'! 😅

I've requested an email when they are though...

image.thumb.png.e159e3e90b521a4f0bc92d5ec6610a0e.png

Might it have been the 'loose' Double Sovereigns perhaps? 🤔

Sorry buddy, maybe it was just the loose ones. My bad

18 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Another visit to the stack today, to play musical coins - Platinum 1/10th Brit came out as it's sold and 3 and a half Sovs go in..

A 2022 loose Full sovereign, and two Gillicks (1963 & 64) taking my Gillick set up to half way complete - thanks to @brnlx639 for the Gillicks.

And a 2022 half sovereign in blister pack...

IMG_20221004_123002707.thumb.jpg.755427229ca2f3d66f48db6bd5c52210.jpg

Which means I now only need a Double 2022 sovereign in a blister pack for the four coin set... And they're out of stock at the Royal Mint... Typical! 🙄

IMG_20221004_123217899.thumb.jpg.f49b516e7a7d28124b20564f8356dbc5.jpg

The three coins do look good together though 😁

Doubles in blister packs are available now on the RM website

https://www.royalmint.com/invest/bullion/bullion-coins/gold-coins/the-double-sovereign-2022-gold-bullion-coin-in-blister/

image.thumb.png.47b5e57223eacf435ee317954ab5c2f1.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 11:18, SiCole said:

image.thumb.png.47b5e57223eacf435ee317954ab5c2f1.png

I know I'm starting to sound like @LawrenceChard but in what world does that actually look gold?

That salmon pink is EXACTLY the colour straight from the mint "mint state" pennies look like.

Do they actually look that ghastly colour in the flesh, or are they a little more golden?

On 03/11/2022 at 16:48, Scootermuppet said:

Popped along to visit my modest collection again today, and thought I'd share a new addition...

IMG_20221103_111326719.thumb.jpg.847ffeb4bb5661c3aee17be56780b74b.jpg

Finally received my Double 2022 bullion sovereign in blister pack, so now have the full bullion set ☺️

These look better, colour wise. Very different to what the website show.

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

I know I'm starting to sound like @LawrenceChard but in what world does that actually look gold?

That salmon pink is EXACTLY the colour straight from the mint "mint state" pennies look like.

Do they actually look that ghastly colour in the flesh, or are they a little more golden?

That's a very over dramatic colour shown there. They aren't yellow in the flesh and do have a bit more of a coppery pinky hue to them. 

It does depend on the lighting to a certain degree - as you can see in my pic (phone pic, so apologies for dodgy quality) this was taken in quite a bright, direct light from above at an angle, so not the best lighting, but they look a lot more golden that the RM images.

Still do look a bit pinkish in daylight though... but not too bad.

Have to say I prefer a more 'Gold coloured' Sovereign - hence my decision to start stacking with Gillicks or younger. Some of the 70's ones should fall in that category to I imagine? but don't have any so can't say for sure...

2 hours ago, SidS said:

They do actually look slightly better than the Royal Mint's photos or images make them appear. It seems they use too much magenta when trying to adjust the colours.

There is hope, but I don't know whether it will have any affect on the 2023 gold sovereigns, fractions, or multiples.

😎

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

They do actually look slightly better than the Royal Mint's photos or images make them appear. It seems they use too much magenta when trying to adjust the colours.

There is hope, but I don't know whether it will have any affect on the 2023 gold sovereigns, fractions, or multiples.

😎

I might buy some and get a tin of Humbrol gold enamel paint and correct the colour. So would you like matt, satin or glossy finish on your 2022 Sovereigns?

Edited by SidS

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 16:08, SidS said:

I might buy some and get a tin of Humbrol gold enamel paint and correct the colour. So would you like matt, satin or glossy finish on your 2022 Sovereigns?

A perfect finish with no bumps lumps scratches dings gouges or fingerprints would be crazy good!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 20:14, Shep said:

A quick review of the Royal Mint VIP tour that I attended 07/09/22.

Scores on the doors - 3/5

Consisted of (in order)

- Refreshments and biscuits upon arrival.    
- A 30 min brisk presentation of the Royal Mints history.     
- A visit to the design team and a presentation from one of the designers.   
- Walkthrough / talk through of the die production rooms and processes. 
- Demonstration of die polishing.   
- Strike your own Sovereign in the PM production area (if purchased (£625)).   
- A very decent buffet lunch.    
- Visit to the circulating coin production factory + strike your own 50p (included).  
- End of the guided tour and option to view the regular Royal Mint experience exhibits.      
- Coffee and a slice of cake before you depart.

Pros

A truly great experience to meet the design team who were all incredibly humble.

Good lunch

Opportunity to strike your own Proof Silver Britannia or 2022 Proof Sovereign (at the time of writing).

Friendly tour guide.

Cons

A extremely light touch 30 mins talk by a representative of the Royal Mint museum and no opportunity to go into their area and see any numismatic rarity’s not on show to the regular punters - really disappointed with this

Now seeing as the Royal Mint claims the sovereign is their flagship coin, it was again disappointing that on the tour you do not see any precious metal coins being minted other than the one you may or may not elect to buy. I had visions that I would be seeing streams of bullion sovereigns flying out of machines into tubs. I did not see a single gold, silver or platinum coin of any kind being minted (other than my own).

I’ve never really considered myself a hard core collector but The VIP tour felt like it was aimed and pitched at a level for people who like to collect cupronickel 50ps in their change. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it just left me wanting.

Summary

The tour proved to be acceptable value for money. 

It seems in the past a visit to the Royal Mint Museum was included in the VIP tour, this is an absolute must have and really ought to reintroduced.

Not seeing a single precious metal coin being produced was pretty laughable.

I walked away happy as I have two 2022 proof sovereigns to add to my stack, had I not had these I feel I would have been severely disappointed.

Im hoping to do this soon, waiting for the SYO to be a 2023 sovereign though!

• 2 weeks later...