• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Visited

On 22/07/2022 at 18:18, Scootermuppet said:

Oh no...😯 I shall check my 50p's out and double check... mind you they haven't been in that long TBF

I have seen a few people say the same about those foam inserts. I would get them into normal plastic capsules without the foam if it were me 

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

I have seen a few people say the same about those foam inserts. I would get them into normal plastic capsules without the foam if it were me 

Agreed, not a fan of the foam insert type cases - but I don’t have any of my coins in them. A few arrived in them, but I swapped them straight to the black flips…

Would probably use them to send out a coin if I were selling it though, as they do seem to hold them firmly and give good protection while in the post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, JamesH said:

@modofantasmamay I ask where you got these tubes from please? The ones with the coin capsules inside. Thank you

They're 33mm tubes to fit the outer diameter of the 22.5 mm sov capsules I have. I can't remember if it was Ebay or Amazon. I've not got accounts to check back I either would have used a guest checkout of got a friend to order for me. The tubes take 20 capsules but don't have a brand or logo on them from memory

Just now, modofantasma said:

They're 33mm tubes to fit the outer diameter of the 22.5 mm sov capsules I have. I can't remember if it was Ebay or Amazon. I've not got accounts to check back I either would have used a guest checkout of got a friend to order for me. The tubes take 20 capsules but don't have a brand or logo on them from memory

Thank you very much. Will have a look around based on those measurements and see how I go. Much appreciated 👍🏼

36 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Thank you very much. Will have a look around based on those measurements and see how I go. Much appreciated 👍🏼

Push cap vitamin c tablet tubes for mere mortals stacking the very cheapest bullion sovereigns works to stores a good few and take up minimal room in you safe deposit box. Or just ask for a tube when ordering Atkinson's I know have provided monster boxes and tubes FOC in years past I've read for folk starting their stacking journey's 

Edited by Paul

A quick review of the Royal Mint VIP tour that I attended 07/09/22.

Scores on the doors - 3/5

Consisted of (in order)

- Refreshments and biscuits upon arrival.    
- A 30 min brisk presentation of the Royal Mints history.     
- A visit to the design team and a presentation from one of the designers.   
- Walkthrough / talk through of the die production rooms and processes. 
- Demonstration of die polishing.   
- Strike your own Sovereign in the PM production area (if purchased (£625)).   
- A very decent buffet lunch.    
- Visit to the circulating coin production factory + strike your own 50p (included).  
- End of the guided tour and option to view the regular Royal Mint experience exhibits.      
- Coffee and a slice of cake before you depart.

Pros

A truly great experience to meet the design team who were all incredibly humble.

Good lunch

Opportunity to strike your own Proof Silver Britannia or 2022 Proof Sovereign (at the time of writing).

Friendly tour guide.

Cons

A extremely light touch 30 mins talk by a representative of the Royal Mint museum and no opportunity to go into their area and see any numismatic rarity’s not on show to the regular punters - really disappointed with this

Now seeing as the Royal Mint claims the sovereign is their flagship coin, it was again disappointing that on the tour you do not see any precious metal coins being minted other than the one you may or may not elect to buy. I had visions that I would be seeing streams of bullion sovereigns flying out of machines into tubs. I did not see a single gold, silver or platinum coin of any kind being minted (other than my own).

I’ve never really considered myself a hard core collector but The VIP tour felt like it was aimed and pitched at a level for people who like to collect cupronickel 50ps in their change. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it just left me wanting.

Summary

The tour proved to be acceptable value for money. 

It seems in the past a visit to the Royal Mint Museum was included in the VIP tour, this is an absolute must have and really ought to reintroduced.

Not seeing a single precious metal coin being produced was pretty laughable.

I walked away happy as I have two 2022 proof sovereigns to add to my stack, had I not had these I feel I would have been severely disappointed.

Edited by Shep

5 minutes ago, Shep said:

I'm sure they were £585 on release, so they charge you an extra £40 and force you to make it yourself, inflation is really hitting the Royal Mint hard this year 😀

You picked a great time to go with it being a special reverse sovereign year on the SYO.

2 hours ago, Shep said:

A quick review of the Royal Mint VIP tour that I attended 07/09/22.

Scores on the doors - 3/5

Consisted of (in order)

- Refreshments and biscuits upon arrival.    
- A 30 min brisk presentation of the Royal Mints history.     
- A visit to the design team and a presentation from one of the designers.   
- Walkthrough / talk through of the die production rooms and processes. 
- Demonstration of die polishing.   
- A very decent buffet lunch.    
- Visit to the circulating coin production factory + strike your own 50p (included).  
- End of the guided tour and option to view the regular Royal Mint experience exhibits.      
- Coffee and a slice of cake before you depart.

Pros

A truly great experience to meet the design team who were all incredibly humble.

Good lunch

Opportunity to strike your own Proof Silver Britannia or 2022 Proof Sovereign (at the time of writing).

Friendly tour guide.

Cons

A extremely light touch 30 mins talk by a representative of the Royal Mint museum and no opportunity to go into their area and see any numismatic rarity’s not on show to the regular punters - really disappointed with this

Now seeing as the Royal Mint claims the sovereign is their flagship coin, it was again disappointing that on the tour you do not see any precious metal coins being minted other than the one you may or may not elect to buy. I had visions that I would be seeing streams of bullion sovereigns flying out of machines into tubs. I did not see a single gold, silver or platinum coin of any kind being minted (other than my own).

I’ve never really considered myself a hard core collector but The VIP tour felt like it was aimed and pitched at a level for people who like to collect cupronickel 50ps in their change. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it just left me wanting.

Summary

The tour proved to be acceptable value for money. 

It seems in the past a visit to the Royal Mint Museum was included in the VIP tour, this is an absolute must have and really ought to reintroduced.

Not seeing a single precious metal coin being produced was absolutely laughable.

I walked away happy as I have two 2022 proof sovereigns to add to my stack, had I not had these I feel I would have been severely disappointed.

I had a similar experience! Enjoyed the tour so much, but was expecting a little more. The chance to see historic coins hands on was a huge part I felt it missed, alongside the minting of PM’s.

I did manage to misplace my bottle somewhere on the tour tho, probably when they handed me a huge lump of gold 🤣 returned as promised..

652BCFA8-8150-40D3-BB1E-F1E555C047CC.jpeg

78av.gif

14 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

I had a similar experience! Enjoyed the tour so much, but was expecting a little more. The chance to see historic coins hands on was a huge part I felt it missed, alongside the minting of PM’s.

I did manage to misplace my bottle somewhere on the tour tho, probably when they handed me a huge lump of gold 🤣 returned as promised..

Nice to see they sent you a bullet with your water bottle, I guess that's the Royal Mints way of saying don't come back 😀

I can see why they might have stopped showing people around their collection, I've got a long list of coins that I'd like to see in hand so would have been in there for hours.

Unfortunately that was probably the only way I could of got an original Una and the Lion in my grubby hands.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 22:35, SilverDrum said:

Did they empty the water out to save on postage?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Another visit to the stack today, to play musical coins - Platinum 1/10th Brit came out as it's sold and 3 and a half Sovs go in..

A 2022 loose Full sovereign, and two Gillicks (1963 & 64) taking my Gillick set up to half way complete - thanks to @brnlx639 for the Gillicks.

And a 2022 half sovereign in blister pack...

IMG_20221004_123002707.thumb.jpg.755427229ca2f3d66f48db6bd5c52210.jpg

Which means I now only need a Double 2022 sovereign in a blister pack for the four coin set... And they're out of stock at the Royal Mint... Typical! 🙄

IMG_20221004_123217899.thumb.jpg.f49b516e7a7d28124b20564f8356dbc5.jpg

The three coins do look good together though 😁

Showing off the wears huh? ........

And rightly so ! 🤣 

Beautiful looking stack/collection 

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

Showing off the wears huh? ........

And rightly so ! 🤣 

Beautiful looking stack/collection 

Thank you! 😁 - Never thought I'd have one, but nearly 2 years of stacking have meant I've finally got there...

I found this thread before I had anywhere near enough things to justify a box, but after I got to that stage, I wanted to share as I put things in... it's quite good for me to look back and see how it's grown! - plus I don't get there very often, so nice to be able to pull up the thread and take a look now & then 😊

Don't have a 'Full Stack ' picture though 🤔, but may have to up the box size soon, as I have some larger things to add, but I only started with the small box, and it doesn't fit tubes of 1oz Brits! 😅

Will do a Full Stack picture when that happens, probably before the end of the year the way it's going 😏